Quantcast

No love for GTV @ the Google Event today

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by zim2dive, Jul 24, 2013.

1. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

No mention of GTV at the Google Event. :(

And geeze, the $35 Chromecast dongle goes 50% of the way towards replacing GTV for those who have mobile/tablet device and can "cast" their music/video/pictures... with the glaring hole being that it requires changing to a different HDMI input and doesn't overlay on the existing TV/cable pipe. I guess this is the Google answer to Airplay?

Seems like a networked GTV device should ALSO be able to be on the receiving end of the "casts", no?

2. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Apple seems to think AirPlay capability is enough ... but I guess we'll see. Too bad it needs a power dongle.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't see how this device goes 50% of the way to replacing Google TV for those of us with tablets. I rarely use a tablet in conjunction with Google TV but I have a little just to see how useful it is. I don't find using a tablet is a superior way to find content to watch on my TV, I use Google TV directly for that. I did install and play with the YouTube remote app and it works well enough and I believe is very similar to how Chromecast will work with YouTube and a tablet.

I use Google TV to merge OTA, internet TV and content from a PC or accessed by a PC all in one HDMI input, controlled by one device. I am thinking with this Chromecast dongle, I can do maybe 20% of what I can do with Google TV but I have to deal with finding the content by using a tablet for that 20%, not ideal for the way I like to do things. Still I would like a Chromecast app on Google TV for that rare instance when I have content available on a tablet or smart phone and want it quickly available on a big screen HDTV.

This device is launching with great fanfare and lots of enthusiasm. I see it more like using a scooter to get around town, very cost effective for the times that is suitable but for the times that it isn't suitable, not worth a hoot in hell.

4. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

To each their own perhaps.. but I find using the CoStar remote rather painful... much preferred the Logitech Revue keyboard... so if I have to navigate on some device (be it my N7 or my CoStar).. and have to start watching something on said device... and can then push 1 (extra) button to "cast" from my tablet to the TV... I might find that a winner.

Where this is a step backwards (IMO) is that it is on a different HDMI input, whereas the CoStar is in-line. As I've said elsewhere... Allow the CoStar to be a "cast" destination, and we have a winner IMO.... ie. the protocol itself vs. the Chromecast dongle. They don't even have to give me the 3 months of Netflix :)

5. ChrisG8

As I have stated many times, I use the Logitech Revue K700 keyboard for all Google TV devices I use. I don't like using a little qwerty keypad for searching and accessing content and I like using a touchscreen tablet for that purpose even less.

• Like Like x 2
  6. jonw747

People are already invested in to figuring out how to use their phones and tablets. With Chromecast they will be able to make what they want appear on their TV - by just pressing a button. That nicely skirts the entire learning curve problem that's generating so much negative press and returns of the GTV devices.

The fact its effectively $12 to the 10's of millions of Netflix customers puts it in an entirely different market than the $100+ GTV devices.

GTV's TV related features are nice, but they're getting beat upside the head by far less capable and no less expensive devices because they do the one thing people most want to do with a streaming box much easier ... and that's stream. I'm happy with the GTV remote and it's new voice capability or even the tiny keyboard. I will look things up using my GTV rather than reaching for the tablet. Searches are so much easier on GTV than ATV or Roku. But I also realize there are people who always have their phone/tablet on them, and it's more convenient for them to use that then anything else.

7. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

8. ChrisG8

9. deadringer28

deadringer28 Active Member

My gripe is that if I already have Google TV (GTV) ,and I do, why do I want or need Chromecast (CC). For someone that is entering the market in need of a device, CC is a very inexpensive solution. However, all it can do at the moment is the very same things we can already do directly on our GTV devices. I think the price is what makes CC so desirable to many. The other thing that bothers me is the thing that so many seem to be praising. The need for a second device in order to make the CC function. So let's say I have two smartphones in my home, a laptop and a desktop. I go out for the night with my wife and we both take our Smartphones with us. Our kids are not allowed to use the laptop or desktop without us and grandma cant help them. Well i guess the CC isn;t as useful as it is when we are home. Now put a GTV device in place of the CC device with the standard remote and the kids are back in business.

I welcome the CC and might even grab one as a spare or a device I can bring with me on vacation but it is NOT a GTV replacement.

10. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Deadringer

I don't think it is meant to be a replacement. Besides, Google already confirmed that GTV would be getting the Chromecast features in the future and that both platforms would continue to be developed simultaneously but separately. For the kids a simple tablet is all that is needed. You can implement all the safeguards ya could want & yer Smartphones can go w/ya. And grandma will probably be learning to use the device from yer kids. In a short time they will probably be more adept at using Chromecast than most adults.

• Like Like x 2
  11. uscpsycho

uscpsycho New Member

I bought the Chromecast just because Google Play Music is so worthless on the Vizio Costar. I am constantly getting this error every two or three songs: "Music temporarily unavailable. Couldn't play the stream you requested."

I am hoping that I don't have the same problem with the Chromecast. If the music play uninterrupted it will be worth the $35 to me.

• Like Like x 2
  12. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

I had the same problem... hoping the JB update fixes things.

13. uscpsycho

uscpsycho New Member

Any idea when the update is coming?

So far the Chromecast is working flawlessly with Google Play Music. I see that there is some connectivity issues because every once in a while the music stops for several seconds but it recovers very gracefully. I assume it is at these points where Google TV chokes and completely stops, requiring me to clear a pop up error and restart the stream. That's very annoying.

14. herculese1

herculese1 New Member

I just got my chromecast. It does exactly what is says it does very well. It certainly is no replacement for my Co-star. I can already send my youtube videos to my tv and dont even have to switch the source on my tv. The reason i bought the chromecast was to be able to send my chrome browser to my tv. This way i can get sites like Watchespn, HBO GO, Xfinity TV ect. which does not work on my co star right now. Hopefully they add chromecast support to the costar is in this next JB release for the costar. Till then this is a cheap solution for the sites that dont work yet. Also its very portable so you can take it with you with ease.

15. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

It's only a cheap solution for accessing blocked GTV web sites if one already owns a PC. It's my understang that currently the Chromecast beta Chrome tab feature only works with PCs (and not Chrome on mobile devices). For people like me that don't already own a PC - I don't see it as viable workaround for blocked GTV content.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  16. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

im just about sure that i can do most any thing with my GTV and the sony remote app.. that the chrome cast can do..
    throw web pages.. check sony remote app will do that
    youtube? we all know we can do this..
    net flix? we there is one thing the CC can do that none of my google tv can do.. i cant control netflix like a second screen...
    so? what will chrome buy me? what will i get i cannot get from any number of other resources?
    now... what cant chromecast do?
    well.. cant dlna like plex or stuff.. yet and the new plex for GTV is amazing.. pair that with a tablet and its very good and polished...

but with a true android device and xbmc or Plex
    you can do all that Chromecast stuff... and a bunch more...
    thats where you get real second screen experience..
    pair the xbmc app with a good tablet and Yatse.. and thats just so far past where the chromecast will take you....
    mho... unless you really want one.. just wait a bit.. you will have chromecast on the gtv... or get an android tv box.. and see where things can really go..
    but its 35 bucks so.... buy one.... it might be cool... but its need more developers to make cool stuff.. thrilled with the idea of typing on a tablet glass when trying to stuff the web...

jmho

17. jonw747

Chromecast is embryonic, but Google has successfully ensured that this device is in customer's hands and that there's an easy way for developers to add support. Until they do it's kind of ho hum for sure, but the key is getting the devs behind it. If they had added casting to GTV without a device like this already being on the market, it would have failed.

• Like Like x 2
  18. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

LOL, I wonder that they didn't sell more Chromecasts in 4 days than the entire install base of GTV devices :) So yes, this may help it all reach a more critical mass.

19. herculese1

herculese1 New Member

If you don't have a pc then maybe this isn't right for you although I would bet that support for chrome for mac and mobile device will come eventually. For anyone who does have a pc though it is great to be able to send any website you want to your tv. Keep in mind this was released only a few days ago and alot more support is coming. When the costar gets the chromecast support I will have this device for a different tv. I imagine that chromcast support will grow extremely fast. For anyone with a pc I dont see how you can go wrong at that price.

20. jonw747

Screen casting at this point (beta) is a technology demonstration to show the sort of things that will be possible. They need to improve the performance many fold before it will be really useful and able to run on phones & tablets. They really should talk to the guys who wrote Splashtop, but they control both ends, so they should be able to get it done.

It's a pretty capable little $35 device with a bright future once the devs get to work with it and until we find out more, I'm not sure there's all that much that can't be eventually done using the "casting" method. For instance just because they don't currently stream local media (without screen casting) doesn't mean it won't be possible in the future. One way they could do it is by creating an ad hoc web server on your mobile device. Ideally the video/audio files would be in a format that the Chromecast's browser already supports, but in theory the device could decode it much like a media player already does and then provide it in a raw stream format.