Quantcast

No Live TV without a PVR?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by andyjmurphy, Sep 29, 2012.

1. andyjmurphy

andyjmurphy New Member

Afternoon,

Im new to the Google TV so apologies if my questions are a bit basic or have been answered elsewhere. I did look but i couldnt see answers elsewhere.

Ive just connected my NSZ-GS7 to my LG tv via HDMI.

I have a Topfield PVR but it only has a scart or component out so i cant connect it to the GTV (which is annoying). I assumed that the GTV would be able to use the built in Aerial on the TV to display live TV and EPG but it doesnt appear so...Is that right? Do i have to have a set top box or PVR to be able to view Live TV?

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Or if you have any experience on connecting non HDMI devices to the GTV?

Many thanks

Andy

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

All Google TV boxes have HDMI input for use with a separate TV source with HDMI output. It is not necessary to use it in that manner, all internet access, streaming, browsing etc. will work without a TV source.

3. andyjmurphy

andyjmurphy New Member

Thanks for coming back to me Chris.

Is it not possible to use the TV's built in tuner to provide the Live TV on the GTV box? Or do you have to have an external TV source plugged in through HDMI to get live tv?

Cheers
    a

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

You can use the TV built in tuner to watch TV but that will have nothing to do with Google TV which will be a separate source for internet TV access. You can also use Google TV for a TV guide if you find one by using TV and Movies app or Buddy TV or other and if the Google TV can control your TV, it will switch from HDMI input to internal TV tuner and control volume. If the Google TV can control your Topfield PVR, you may want it to do that even though you will not have the Google TV overlay when viewing TV from the internal tuner or Topfield PVR.

There may be some sort of analog to digital converter that can take a component video and composite audio input and convert it to HDMI output, I haven't seen one and sure wouldn't use one just to get the Google TV overlay for the Topfield PVR output and doubt if it would work very well if you could find one.