Quantcast

No internet connection with Comcast modem/router

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by kathyr, Feb 17, 2013.

1. kathyr

kathyr New Member

I have just got the Comcast triple package and as such changed my modem to a Docsis 3. Since then I can't get to internet through my google tv (NSZ- GT1) even though i have WiFi connection. I reset the google tv to factory setting, turned it off/on, etc. but nothing happens.
    Tried to change the IP setting from DHCP to static, but it doesn't allow me to connect at all. Does anyone know how to fix this? The sony chat support wasn't able to do anything about it and their hotline is not available during weekends!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I don't believe the GTV unit that you are using supports Wi-Di (even though it has an Intel chip).

WiDi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have you tried a factory reset of your modem/router? Also as a troubleshooting measure can you try connecting by ethernet and see if it works that way?

3. kathyr

kathyr New Member

You're right! I meant to say wifi! I'm connected to wifi but don't have internet connection. I have tried ethernet connection as well. Modem/router has been also reset. :(

4. CatfishRivers

Ok have you tried connecting another internet device to your new docsis 3 modem to see if it works? We want to determine for sure if there might be a problem with your network first.

Also are you renting this modem from Comcast or did you purchase it on your own? If you purchased it did you check to make sure that it's on Comcast's list of officially supported modems?

5. kathyr

kathyr New Member

yes. all my other devices are connected to internet. I checked with comcast and on their end, everything seems to be working.

6. CatfishRivers

OK I came across this in an article about router settings (see below). Have you done this step?

"2. MAC Filtering

Any device that connects to a network has a MAC address assigned to its network adapter. To help lock security down on a network, use MAC address filtering to deny or provide access to your network.

MAC filtering is a standard feature on just about any wireless router. It can be used one of two ways: to prevent specific devices from accessing a network or to allow specific devices access.

To use it, enable it within the router's management interface. You then add each device's MAC address and select if you want to deny or grant that device access. The steps may vary a bit depending on the routers you have, but this is essentially how MAC filtering is configured on home and small business wireless routers. Quick tip: in most wireless devices the MAC address can be found in the network settings. From a Windows client, run the command "ipconfig/all." The physical address associated with the machine's wireless card is the MAC address. For OS X, find the MAC address under "Network Preferences," and in Linux use the "ifconfig -a" command as root user."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405996,00.asp

7. kathyr

kathyr New Member

How can I find MAC for the google tv? To manaully connect the google tv to the connected devices on comcast, I need hostname, Mac address, Static address. where on google tv can i find the info?

8. CatfishRivers

On my Logitech Revue, the MAC address for both the wired and wireless interfaces can be found by clicking on Applications... Settings... Network... Network Information

* If you are unable to determine your mac address of the Sony NSZ-GT1 from the above method - then I believe you can disable your filters temporarily for the Google TV device to obtain a DHCP address and find out its MAC address.

9. CatfishRivers

Were you able to get your problem resolved? If you are still having problems here are some good troubleshooting steps (from the Sony web site) concerning Wi-Fi/router issues:

View Document