Quantcast

NO AUDIO OUTPUT - My Second Vizio Co-Star - Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by TrooperThorn, Sep 7, 2012.

1. TrooperThorn

TrooperThorn New Member

When I first got my Vizio Co-Star a few weeks ago, I complained here that I could not get any audio from my device. It was hooked directly to my TV, and my assumption was that the device was defective.

I tried the only two audio settings available on the Vizio, "Auto" and "PCM." I also tried both of these while adjusting the limited audio settings available on my HDTV (a two or three year old 40" Proscan from Best Buy). Nothing I did could make the device produce any sound, despite switching HDMI inputs, HDMI cables, resetting the device, and turning things on and off repeatedly.

I contacted support, and the only troubleshooting they offered me was to perform a factory reset on my device. After that yielded no results, they sent me a new Vizio Co-Star, suggesting that mine was faulty.

Today I finally received my second Co-Star, which incidentally I had to pay for--they say I will be refunded the money once they receive my first unit, which they provided me a shipping label for. My second Co-Star is behaving exactly like the first. It's up to date on its firmware upgrades, and still produces no sound.

This doesn't seem to be a widespread issue, or if it is I can't find a lot of people talking about it. I did find this thread on Android Central Forums (Vizio Co-Star Get Something Else - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com), which seems to be the same issue, but his customer service experience sounds even worse than mine, and it sounds like they are making him pay a restocking fee.

Can anybody help me troubleshoot this any further than Vizio has been able to? I really want this device to work, but it seems like maybe the Co-Star just doesn't play nice with my Proscan HDTV. Any help would be tremendously appreciated. I've tried about all I can think to try at this point.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity - have you tried hooking up either of your Co-Star units to a different TV? Or conversely - do other devices connected to your ProScan TV via HDMI have audio? We just want to make sure that the problem is with the Co-Star and not your TV.

If your TV has a setting to adjust audio to basic stereo (as opposed to surround sound) try that.

Also try unplugging your TV for a few minutes and see if that helps.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  3. rschauby

rschauby New Member

Also, try a different cable.

4. csrini1

csrini1 Member

Did you try connecting any other device like dvd player/bluray player/ps3/dish receiver via hdmi and do they all/any output sound??

5. TrooperThorn

TrooperThorn New Member

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I have a PS3, and XBOX 360, and a laptop hooked up via HDMI, and all output sound with no problem. I have tried several cables from these devices, so I know they work and send sound from those other sources.

I've tried turning my TV off and on, though I haven't tried unplugging it yet (I'll try it when I return home tomorrow, I'm out of town for the moment).

Unfortunately I don't have another TV to try to Co-Star on, as the Proscan is the only one I own. I'm sure if I had a Samsung or another name brand TV this would probably work fine--I have to assume perhaps the Co-Star does not support this somewhat rare TV?

6. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Couple of things you could try,

1. Change the CoStar resolution from 1080p (Auto) down to 720P.
    2. Make sure Costar Audio is set to "Stereo".
    3. Turn "OFF" all connected devices (TV, AVR, BDP, DVD &STB).
    4. Unplug power cord from CoStar-box, TV, AVR, BDP, DVD & STB).
    5. Disconnect any USB device from all devices.
    6. Unplug HDMI cables from all connected Devices (CoStar-box, TV, AVR, BDP, DVD & STB).
    7. Re-Plug power cord to TV & turn power on.
    8. Perform "Reset Default" on the TV.
    9. Turn "OFF" TV & Unplug power cord & Wait 10 min.
    10. Re-plug the HDMI cable to CoStar & TV ONLY (no other devices).
    11. Re-Plug power cord to CoStar & TV - turn power on & try it.

If not,

Replace your hdmi cable with a high-speed HDMI cable - click here.

But, make sure to follow the above steps & skip step 1,4,5&6 - Good luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FYI, did you know HDMI 1.4 specification have now five HDMI cable types to choose from.
    read here.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  7. tomheroes

tomheroes New Member

I am having the same problems with my Co-Star. I am also on my second one with the same problem. I tried all the steps you put with no help. Also tried two different televisions and three different HDMI cables with no luck. It is maddening because I really like the Co-Star. To be able to switch from live TV to Netflix to Onlive to the internet without switching inputs is great, but without sound, what good is it?

8. csrini1

csrini1 Member

Can you go to friends/relatives/neighbours place and plug in the co-star to their tv and see if it outputs any sound just to narrow the problem down

9. TrooperThorn

TrooperThorn New Member

Thanks for all the help. I tried all this with no luck. I brought the device to my friend's place, and it worked fine on his Acer 23" computer monitor (it had built in speakers). I even took his cord back home with me to try on my TV to ensure there was no issue with my cables, and it was the same story.

I guess the Co-Star will be going back.

10. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Try to plug a headphone set to the TV & check the sound.

FYI, for a standard HDMI cable to work with one device is not necessarily to work with another.

Check out this link "standard" vs. "high-speed" HDMI cable to get some ideas - click here.

Good luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FYI, did you know HDMI 1.4 specification have now five HDMI cable types to choose from.
    read here.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  11. Hollis3

Hollis3 New Member

I am having a similar problem.

No audio when first turning on the system. Cable Box > Co-Star > Audio Receiver > TV
    After doing the reset with Customer Service, it's still happening.

The current workaround is to unplug the power cable and both HDMI cables from the Co-Star (Power Cable alone did not fix the issue).
    The audio is back when the Co-Star powers up.

I've tried removing the devices (except the cable box, that's next) within the Co-Star.
    I've tried turning on all of the other equipment before the Co-Star.