Quantcast

NFL, NBC Sports to Live Stream the Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Cygnus, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

This is big. The most watched and hyped event on US TV will now be live streamed. Hopefully more sports programing does the same so I can cut the cord...

NFL, NBC Sports to Live Stream the Super Bowl - The Hollywood Reporter

2. BrianCamp

BrianCamp New Member

Ok so with this happening is google tv able to stream nbcsports or NFL network since both will be streaming SuperBowl live. If so please let me know asap and I'm going and buying one tomorrow maybe even tonight

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

IMO the live streaming of the Super Bowl won't work with GTV. NBC currently blocks GTV - and when they streamed the Olympics live it didn't work with GTV.

I doubt it will work with NFL Network either - if it did there would probably be some kind of "authentication" required (veryfing that you pay for a cable/satellite TV plan that includes NFL Network).

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am not aware of any way to stream NFL football games using Google TV. I have been using Google TV at NBC Sports for sports news, I prefer it to ESPN for that purpose. With ESPN3 now indicating the event is blacked out for most sporting events I had been watching using that service, I can say Google TV just isn't much good at all for sports right now. Here is the NBC Sports.com site for news.

Sports News Headlines - NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, PGA, NASCAR - Scores, Game Highlights, Schedules & Team Rosters - NBC Sports

5. bidger

bidger Member

Uh, the Super Bowl was on NBC last year. It's on CBS this year.

6. BrianCamp

BrianCamp New Member

Some one needs to figure out how to do this. If you can stream internet y wouldn't you be able to stream the game since this will be the first yr they ever streamed the SuperBolw

7. CatfishRivers

1) Google TV could lack the required software/hardware. For instance the Super Bowl might require Flash 11, some kind of DRM that GTV doesn't support, etc. For example when NBC streamed the Olympics live - it didn't work with GTV devices because NBC required a newer version of Chrome browser (than GTV supported). GTV only has Chrome 11 and Flash 10.2.

2) The CBS web site currently blocks GTV. No reason to think that CBS would unblock their web site to GTV for the Super Bowl.

3) Even if this was technically possible on GTV devices - the NFL Network is a "premium cable/satellite TV channel". As such they would not likely throw out the free stream for everyone (cord-cutters) - but rather they would require "authentication" (that you in essence currently "pay" for their channel by subscribing to a cable/satellite TV service tier that includes NFL Network).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You could try going to a sports bar or friends house to see the game. Or you could try watching a pirated stream on sites such as First Row Sports or VIPBox.

However the video quality on those kind of sites is not the greatest - plus they are loaded with pop-ads that block the screen - many GTV users are unable to sucessfully remove the pop-ups. I'm able to do it on VIPBox - but it took a lot of trial & error to learn how. It's very tricky. I subscribe to basic cable so I'll be able to watch the Super Bowl that way.....

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  8. BrianCamp

BrianCamp New Member

What about a jail broke apple tv with xmbc u are able to watch live football do you think you could pick up the SuperBolw

9. CatfishRivers

I'm not sure about the jailbroken Apple TV. However the following article (with the CBS press release) says it works with a computer or tablet. If you have a modern up-to-date computer/tablet I would think that the CBS live stream would work:

CBS Super Bowl 'second screen' stream to include alternate cameras, DVR functionality

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  10. CatfishRivers

Where to watch the 2013 Super Bowl live online — Tech News and Analysis (click for full article)

SUMMARY: "Super Bowl XLVII is once again getting the live streaming treatment, complete with multiple camera angles and the entire half-time show. Check out our ultimate guide for more information."

"Want to watch the Baltimore Ravens and the San Francisco 49ers duke it out at the 2013 Super Bowl without being in front of the TV, or without relying on a cable TV subscription? Then you're in luck: Super Bowl XLVII will once again be streamed live online in its entirety. This time around, you'll even be able to catch the halftime show online. And of course there are plenty of sites that let you watch all those great Super Bowl ads and more.

Check out our ultimate guide to watching Super Bowl XLVII live online and mobile devices below:"

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  11. CatfishRivers

I just went to the CBS Sports web site with my Logitech Revue (and browser set to "generic") and all the videos play good. These are VOD and not live feeds. There is supposed to be a live feed at 2:50pm EST so I'll test that on my Revue and post my findings.

I'm not sure if the Super Bowl will work with Google TV - but I'm a bit more optimistic than I was before.

Watch Super Bowl 2013 Live - CBSSports.com News, Rumors, Scores, Stats, Fantasy

* This is what the CBS Sports web site says are the system requiements to stream the Super Bowl:

"The Super Bowl XLVII live video player will require Adobe® Flash® Player 10.2 or higher. Adobe® Flash® Player 11.5 is recommended and can be downloaded here. Recommended browsers are Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0 or higher (9.0 is encouraged), Firefox 15.x or higher, or Chrome 23.x or higher."

(As you can see it requires Flash 10.2 so that part is good to go with GTV. It says they "recommend" Chrome 23 or higher - GTV has a modified version of Chrome 11. They do say "recommend" and they don't say "required". So there's a chance this could work with GTV - but no way to know for sure beforehand).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Note: I just tested the Live feed on CBS Sports of "Eye on Football - Live from Jackson Square" with my Logitech Revue and it works great -:) The video quality appears to be near HD.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  12. CatfishRivers

I just tested the CBS Sports web site on my Logitech Revue with the Chrome user agent set to "default" - and that works also.