Quantcast

Nexus Player - Chrome

Discussion in 'Android TV' started by magearden, Jun 10, 2015.

1. magearden

magearden New Member

So I was thinking about upgrading and migrating from my Sony NSZ-GS7 to a Google nexus player and I was wondering if you can install Chrome (or any third party browser) on to it. I've heard that it's possible through your phone. Can you confirm if it's true. Also I don't have a keyboard and mouse (which I assume is required for Chrome) I've heard of something called android media remote (an app) that can work as a substitute but is only available on android but I only have an iPhone so is there something similar I can use for iOS. Thanks :)

Edit: so I've found a way to install a third party browser (eg. Dolphin Browser) by sideloading it. Also if you sign in to the Google Play Store (on your phone) with your account after the device has been set up you'll be able to install some apps by selecting the device (eg. Nexus Player) to install in to (I've successfully installed Chrome)

Here's a link to a helpful video I found about how to sideload apps on to your nexus player ...

As for a bluetooth mouse I'll look into buying one at the end of the month however I found a unique solution to the keyboard problem I paired my old Sony NSZ-GS7 remote (which has a keyboard on one side of the remote) and surprisingly the keyboard works well but the trackpad is utterly useless :( hence buying the Bluetooth mouse at the end of the month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  2. magearden

magearden New Member

So I've settled on purchasing a Logitech K400 (wireless keyboard and touch trackpad combo) at the end of the month. In the meantime I have a Logitech K330 (wireless keyboard and mouse) connected through an OTG cable on the back of the NP and it's working flawlessly :)

Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad K400 - Logitech

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mardukeme

mardukeme Member

Also look into installing kodi on it. The Nexus Player uses the x86 version. I'm running 15.2 beta version. Also kodi has so many add-ons for it from video, music, and program ones.