Quantcast

NewsCorp, Disney Said Discussing Control Of Hulu Site

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Mar 2, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

News Corp., Disney Said Discussing Control of Hulu Site - Bloomberg (click for full article)

By Andy Fixmer & Christopher Palmeri - Mar 2, 2013 12:00 AM ET

"News Corp. (NWSA) and Walt Disney Co. (DIS) are in talks that may lead to one of the partners in the Hulu.com video website buying out the other, two people with knowledge of the situation said.

In that scenario, an agreement would hand control of Hulu to either News Corp. or Disney, said the people, who sought anonymity because the talks are private. The companies, which each own about a one-third stake, are also discussing selling Hulu or changing the business model, they said. Comcast Corp. (CMCSA)'s NBC would remain a minority investor.

Disney prefers an advertising-focused business model, while News Corp. would like Hulu to rely on subscriptions, they said. Hulu offers both a limited free service and an expanded $8 a month offering called Hulu Plus. Both the free and subscription offerings include commercials.

The talks are in their early stages and a deal isn't guaranteed, the people said. The Wall Street Journal reported the talks yesterday.
    Comcast is barred from an operational or board role due to an agreement with federal regulators related to approval of its NBC Universal acquisition in January 2011."

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I like both Hulu and Hulu Plus and hope the companies involved can find a way to make the services work from a business standpoint without changing the service from the user's standpoint. I finally got around to watching a Hulu exclusive series, "Endgame" and it is pretty good, I am 4 episodes in. I think there are some other exclusive series available as well, might check those out too. We use Hulu a lot, courtesy of PlayOn and PlayLater with Google TV and Roku.

3. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Is this one of the services included in the Vizio upgrade? I've never watched any programs on Hulu... But I have a PC coming any day now so am looking forward to trying it out. I'll start off directly streaming from the PC via HDMI. But eventually I want to set up Playon or Plex.

4. ChrisG8

No, I can't imagine Hulu will ever be available directly for Google TV. As it stands now, the content is licensed only for traditional PCs. Hulu Plus is a paid service for smart TV platforms that isn't available yet for Google TV, maybe it never will be either. Services like Hulu and others available only to PCs are the reason PlayOn is popular, it is an easy to use server that works well with many popular smart TV boxes. A server isn't necessary for PC playback directly to a display and that is a great way to watch those services but with multiple displays in the house, having a PC at each one isn't an attractive solution.

5. Carlszone

Thanks Chris

I still have a hard time believing how far the integration of TV & internet has come in my lifetime. From the Webtv/MSNTV 2 era to what is basically a mini computer, GTV is really opening my horizons to a whole new world of connectivity. Even w/the disappointments of the latest new models, GTV has been a great experience.

Can't wait to take it to the next level...

Thanks

Carl

6. ChrisG8

I agree internet TV has really come a long way. Google TV and Roku are the devices I like a lot, I wish the best of both could be rolled into one box. Google should buy Roku and do just that although I know some licensing issues would have to be overcome. Just a Windows PC connected to an HDTV is still the most powerful and covers the most services and features but I much prefer Google TV and Roku from an ease of use standpoint. If I had to live with a PC, I could, it isn't a terrible solution.

7. Carlszone

After my HP Win 8 experience, I realized it wasn't the OS that was at fault. It was the way the touchpad was laid out. The pad was split down the middle. So when navigating ya had to stay to the leftt of the touch pad. Any move toward the right caused the sidebar to activate. It was a terrible distraction and could easily take ya outta desktop mode & into the (Heck I've forgotten what it is called) other mode meant for touchscreen navigation. I'm too old & set in my ways to learn a whole new set of rules for Win 8. This time I have a PC that will be accompanied by a remote. No more closing the laptop lid and having to realign the HDMI output by opening it partially and clicking on play to get the video to reformat.

It was a royal PITA...

Carl

8. ChrisG8

I use the Logitech K700 keyboard with the PC set up for internet TV purposes, the best solution I have found and since I also use the same for the three Google TV boxes, that means it feels right, consistent operation across all devices. The home key launches the browser with the Windows Vista PC I use. The touch pad and transport keys all work as you would expect.

9. Carlszone

Yeah, but I remember yer caution about not being able to use the K700 keyboard on multiple devices in the same room. My entertainmeni system is geared for the living room. The bedroom setup is just an extension of the living room setup. If I could I would have as many k700 kbs as devices & computers but unless I'm missing something in yer earlier posts, this is not possible.

Carl

10. ChrisG8

You can use the K700 on multiple devices in the same room but if you have to use more than 1 unifying receiver, you will need more than one K700 keyboard. In one room I have a Revue controlled by a K700 and a PC controlled by a different K700, no way to have the same K700 control both. The one paired with the Revue also controls the TiVo, AVR and TV in that room.

11. Carlszone

Okay, let me get this right. I now own two K700 keyboards. I have one that controls the Logitech Revue. Are you saying that using a unifying receiver I can actually use the 2nd keyboard to control another device in the same room? How do I stop ti from controlling the Logitech Revue which was paired as the orig remote device? In other words do I unpair it or will the unifying receiver do this? I took the batteries out of the orig keyboard just because of the conflicting signals. But I'd love to be able to use this KB on a secondary device...

Thanks

Carl

12. ChrisG8

Each K700 can only be paired to one unifying receiver but once that is done, you can have multiple K700s in the same room which will only communicate with each respective unifying receiver. Nothing happens with my PC when I am using the Revue and nothing happens with the Revue when I am using the PC in my case. In another room I have a K340 keyboard and an M505 mouse paired to a unifying receiver in a computer and a K700 paired to a unifying receiver in a Sony NSZ-GS7. Six devices can be paired to a single unifying receiver. Of course as you know the Revue has its unifying receiver built in, don't plug a unifying receiver in to a Revue.

13. Carlszone

Thanks!

14. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hulu said to receive $500 million bid from former head of News Corp. | The Verge (click for full article)

by Bryan Bishop - April 5, 2013

"The future of streaming video service Hulu has been decidedly hazy lately, and now Reuters is reporting that the former head of News Corp. has entered a bid to purchase the company. According to the report Peter Chernin - who currently sits on Hulu's board - offered $500 million. In March several reports indicated that Disney and News Corp. had been holding discussion on what to do with the company, with both parties contemplating buying the other out - or selling Hulu altogether to a third party. Comcast serves as the third partner behind Hulu, but due to regulatory restrictions associated with its acquisition of NBCUniversal it's not allowed to participate in such decisions.

It's important to note that Reuters doesn't state that the deal is done, but the move would make sense. As Reuters points out, The Chernin Group has holdings in several high-profile technology companies, including Pandora. As president of News Corp. at the time Hulu was founded, Chernin was also an outspoken advocate for the venture, calling it a "game changer for internet video."

Disney and News Corp. have reportedly been disagreeing on what direction to take the service, with Disney said to be fond of an ad-supported model while News Corp. favors a subscription service. In January CEO Jason Kilar announced he would be leaving the company, but despite the uncertainty the company actually reported a strong 2012, with revenue growing 65 percent."