Quantcast

Newly-Launched ESPN3 Player Doesn't Seem to Work with Revue

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by davidco, Aug 31, 2011.

1. davidco

davidco New Member

Hi everyone. Today ESPN3 changed the embedded player that they use for their site. I can't seem to get it to work on the Revue. Is anyone else having the same problem or is something wrong on my end? I do have access to ESPN3 through my ISP and it works fine on my laptop, but not on my Revue.

Thanks for your help!

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like Flash movieplayer is loading for me either. This could mean that ESPN3 is now using Flash actionscript prevent loading the movie player for the Logitech Revue.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Can't get it to work here either.

4. giant_slices

giant_slices New Member

From my chat with Logitech Customer Support:

[FONT=Arial !important]Andrew[/FONT]
    : I was able to find that ESPN3.com has changed the video requirements to Adobe Flash 10.2. At this time the Revue only has 10.1. This month the Revue will be updated to Android 3.1 which will bring the Android Marketplace. It is also rumored that it will include an update to the Flash player to 10.2. This has not yet been confirmed to me at this time.

5. davidco

davidco New Member

Thanks, giant_slices. Hopefully, we'll get the updated flash later. Glad to hear that ESPN isn't specifically blocking the Revue. Being able to watch ESPN3 is (was) one of may favorite things about Google TV.

6. Frosty

Frosty New Member

Thanks Tons. I thought I was going crazy. Had it working Monday night. Took Revue to a friends house Tuesday and could not get to work. Tried everything I could think of. Been searching forums for 2 days trying to find out what happened till I came upon this. What a relief. Thought my Revue had done something bad to itself. Did a full reset, what a pain now have to redo everything. Thanks much for you posting it.
    Hope we get our update soon.

7. ChrisG8

It all seems odd to me, is this normal, update to a new Adobe Flash version and it won't work at all with the previous version? I did get an update request on a PC today from Adobe as I often do but just ignored and didn't update.

8. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Flash is already on 10.3 - So even if we get Flash 10.2 that won't be the most recent version. Here's hoping to ESPN3 not updating it's web site again to Flash 10.3

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

This is just the way that developers "tailor content" to the clients of their service. The User Agent string from the web browser but there's also the flash.system.capabilities class from the Flash plug-in and the navigator object from javascript are ways of allowing this segregation. In this case, ESPN3 is using "ver greater than or equal to 10.2" instead Hulu's "os does not match win or mac" to govern whether or not the flash movieplayer should load for your client. And again, each method above is linked to the respective web scripts which show your system's public identity.

10. bohusker

bohusker New Member

I'm getting tired of the revue. I bought it so we can watch content on the web. seems like everytime we want to watch something we are not able to. I'm ready to bring it back to Best Buy. So far it has been a big bust. Get with the game. I'm missing Wisconsin vs UNLV game because GoogleTV has pulled their head out of their you know what.

11. rhohense

rhohense New Member

Right before college football starts they go and do this? Someone fix all this.

12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

To be fair... You're actually "missing Wisconsin vs UNLV game because ESPN3 has pulled their head out of their you know what." Not having the most up to date Flash player is the fault of Adobe if there's one not available for the Google TV platform, or Google if there is one and they haven't distributed it to either Sony or Logitech, or Sony AND Logitech if they have gotten it from Google but have not made it available on their update distribution servers.

13. CatfishRivers

Here is some information about the latest Flash 10.3 version from the Adobe web site, As you can see it runs on mobile platforms as well as tablets and desktop PCs. For mobile - android OS 3.1 is required. To me it seems like our current hardware should be able to support this - so I don't see why Google couldn't give us Flash 10.3 with the upcoming Honeycomb update. Any comments?

rich Internet applications | Adobe Flash Player

14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

This is a better link: Adobe Flash Player system requirements

Flash is one of those development platform which requires implementation of its native code libraries, so while it is obvious that Flash 10.3 is available for Android Devices with the A8 (ARM) processors, there's nothing listed on Adobe's website about the availability of Flash for x86 Android platform.

15. CatfishRivers

Well I see Intel dual Core 1.8 MHZ for Linux desktop is supported. Also Intel Atom 1.6 MHZ for Windows desktop is supported. The Arm 8 for mobile is only 0.55MHZ to1.0 MHZ. Our Intel CE 4100 is 1.2 MHZ. So IMO it is a soiftware challenge for the engineers at Google to make it work. And as big as Google is - if need be they could get together with Adobe and have them tweak Flash 10.3 for Google TV if necessary. However it looks to me like our HARDWARE can handle it - (that is if the engineers at Google and Adobe are up to the task of implementing the software).

I also found this tidbit on the Adobe site:

"CPU requirements may be much lower using H.264 hardware video acceleration on supported systems. Supported GPUs or media accelerators listed in the section above can significantly decrease processor requirements for optimal viewing of HD video."

Our Intel CE4100 chip does indeed have hardware acceleration for H.264 video.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  16. stuberman

stuberman Member

I'd rather see effort put into creating an HTML5 delivery of content rather than Flash, etc.

17. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You misunderstand, the hardware isn't the problem nor is hardware acceleration for H.264 a concern. In fact, H.264 acceleration was originally implement for Android in Flash 10.1. If you read the 10.3 release notes, you'll see there were more security enhancements and bug fixes than new features or additional support.

The fact remains Adobe's Android Developers needs to release Flash update for the Google TV platform.

The challenge is not for Google to make it work. Flash is a proprietary and closed platform of Adobe. They own the intellectual properties on it, and have guarded against sharing the source code with everyone. In fact back in 2007, Apple offered assistance to Adobe to help them iron out the bugs which caused Flash crashing Apple's platforms. Even then they denied assistance from Apple, which was one of the many reasons that eventually lead to the excommunication of Flash from Apple's ecosystem.

Until someone addresses the lack of Digital Rights Management (DRM) support in HTML5, you won't ever see any network's website using it to play copyrighted content.

18. ChrisG8

So neither Apple TV or Google TV can play ESPN3 right now. Can Apple TV play any Adobe Flash websites? It appears to me the answer is no and that makes Apple TV worth much less than Google TV to me, at least I can hope that Google TV will be updated to handle ESPN3. I am still finding enough that my Logitech Revue is worth the price for me but it is disappointing to see that each day it seems, something I thought would work doesn't work.

19. DefenderBob

DefenderBob New Member

If its any consolation, the game was a route and I ended up watching lions pre-season :(

20. CatfishRivers

Eferz I understood that Google needs to get with Adobe and have them tweak Flash 10.3 to enable it to run on the Intel x86 platform - the point that I was making was that it CAN be done (theoretically) to work with our hardware. Adobe did it for Google with the 10.1 version. And I have read that Google has been collaborating with Adobe to have them 'tweak' the Flash for Google TV to improve it. Not sure what all that entails.

What would be the reason for Adobe to not want to update Flash 10.3 to run on Google TV? It's not like Google and Adobe are 'enemies' (such as Google and Comcast). Adobe I believe wants to work closely with Google to improve things.

Even if the 10.3 update was mostly bug fixes and security fixes - if enough web sites update to it - it will really become a negative for Google TV not to be able to access a growing number of web sites.

I think the big price drop to Google TV will help in this regard - as the more units that are out in public use - will mean more web sites becoming Google TV friendly, more content available, better versions of Flash etc. Strength is in 'numbers' for Google TV. And quite frankly since the price drop to $99 the Revue has been selling very well.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011