Quantcast

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by Kecasey15, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Kecasey15

Kecasey15 New Member

We just purchased our NSZ-GS8 today, we were told that we would be able to access hulu plus and CBS with it and of course we can't. We are looking to use it to replace our current cable. I am just looking for suggestion for apps that might be useful. Thanks!

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Hulu and a few network sites, I believe including CBS.com, block the Google TV browser. The only way I have been able to access the sites that block Google TV is by using a PC and PlayOn, as suggested by Catfish Rivers, which is a server to run on the PC and the PlayOn client app for Google TV. I am among the happiest Google TV users on the planet, I have Google TV connected to each of three HDTVs in house which also have TiVos for OTA connected to each. Everything works together great and cable is not necessary in our house, but it isn't a solution everybody will like.

There is no single box that does everything I want but using Google TV as the centerpiece to control TiVo and the server PC, everything is viewed through a single HDMI input, controlled by a single controller. The woman I live with is happy with the solution but doesn't really understand how I have cobbled everything together, she knows how to use it all, including accessing Hulu, Netflix, and using the TiVos.

If you just want a simple solution to access Hulu Plus and other streaming services, I can recommend a Roku 3. I use older Roku models, also connected to each HDTV, somewhat redundant to Google TV but Roku does much less although some of the things both do, Roku does easier or better than Google TV. Roku does a couple of things I can't do with Google TV and Google TV does dozens I can't do with Roku but I like Roku a lot because what it does do, it does really well.

If you find Roku just doesn't do enough to be of interest but you want a single box, a Windows PC or NUC is probably the best option connected directly to the HDTV. I don't care for that solution personally, I like the Google TV UI and Google TV apps much better.

4. ChrisG8

If you are interest in PlayOn, I should add it does take a fairly modern, powerful PC to run. If you use the 720p HD version, that requires more processing power than the SD version. There is a companion app, PlayLater which is a DVR app for streaming sites, I also use it and like it a lot. The PlayOn site has information regarding PC requirements.

5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

I do care for this solution. I have been comparing the Sony GS-7 Google TV w/my HP computer via HDMI. I gotta tell ya, there is no difference whatsoever in how it is displayed! I am not a computer man, I am an avid set top box user. But if you want to waste yer time streaming to the TV from alternate devices, OK. But if you want a system that has power and all the entertainment access you could ever want, folks, ya gotta hook up a PC that is built uniquely for entertainment purposes. Even the security suites can be optimized for entertainment PCs.

Years ago I tried to do just this with Dell. They sold me an old E-machine that couldn't even handle Win Vista Home Basic. I eventually threw the damn thing out the window. HP is customizing PCs for the Living Room. At the lowest cost I've seen in years. At first I couldn't believe that they could survive doing this. But it actually makes sense. PCs are not selling. Most are geared toward the old work station mentality. Now, I watch all my TV & media via my computer. And it is not the old interface we've gotten used to seeing w/the earlier models. You can configure it any way you can imagine using Wallpaper & apps.

We keep buying set top boxes and every year or so they become obsolete. This is not an accident, but a marketing strategy. How many set top boxes is enough??? My custom built PC was under $700.00. My settop boxes over the years was over $2000.00.

You do the math...

But I still love my GS-7. I'm just not finding many ways to use it lately.

Take Care

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  6. ChrisG8

I should also add, a Roku 3 will not access CBS.com or the free Hulu site or any of the sites with content specifically licensed only for PC access without the use of a server client setup like PlayOn which requires a PC. Roku does however have a Hulu Plus channel which requires a Hulu Plus subscription. There are also hundreds of free Roku channels accessible, about half of which are religious programming.

7. ChrisG8

I can make Google TV meet my needs, apparently you can't. There are many differences between how content is displayed using a PC connected by HDMI compared to Google TV and other dedicated streaming boxes. For starters, many sites accessible by both streaming box and PC limit resolution for PC access. Vudu used to offer content at only 480p when accessed by a PC, now some programming is available at 1080p, other programming is still only 480p, I will guess that situation is about 50/50 now but nowhere near all of the content can be displayed in HD. Amazon is another streaming site with resolution restrictions for PC and there a few others I have encountered with restrictions.

Dedicated streaming boxes have dedicated apps with a UI designed for the purpose of accessing streaming content and I far prefer Google TV over a PC for most of the content I access and so does the woman that lives with me. Give her a PC and tell her to find something to watch and she isn't going to bother most of the time. Still I need a PC so I have one on my network for the things that require a PC, but even then the PC content is viewed using Google TV.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Chris

My post was not intended as an either/or. Nor is it an argument against GTV efficiency as concerns streaming. Most HDTVs have multi-HDMI ports. It is a practical best of all worlds scenario. Neither is it a question whether I can make GTV work for me for most of my entertainment needs. I can! But it's nice to know I don't have to.

Ya don't have to sell me on GTV. I know all its advantages & limitations. But I also know that folks tend to take a stubborn position trying to make GTV do things better left to the PC. Just because GTV was sold as a stand-alone unit does not mean it cannot be used in conjunction w/a PC to ensure greater media access, as you well know. I personally have neither the space nor the patience for the mult-settop box option. A Roku, Apple TV, GTV, etc., etc...

Carl

• Like Like x 2