Quantcast

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by Obs, May 10, 2013.

1. Obs

Obs New Member

Hi all

I haven't purchased GTV box yet as I have one question that needs answering please.......

Does the browser have configurable proxy settings?

Cheers

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi. Do you mean setting up a proxy to browse anonymously? The answer to that question would be no - not through the GTV Chrome browser.

However you can go to the GTV Chrome settings and block specific web sites from tracking you with cookies.

You could set-up a VPN with GTV. Some Google TV users do this to access Geo-resricted content. Also you could use a service such as "Unblock-US" (it's not a VPN but it's used with GTV by going to GTV settings and changing the DNS):

http://www.unblock-us.com/

Also from Chrome settings you have 3 choices for user agent string: "default", "generic" or "custom". Changing to "generic" will allow access to some TV station web sites that block the default GTV browser. However sites such as Hulu use a sophisticated form of blocking that includes the GTV Flash version. So for sites such as Hulu, CBS, NBC, etc changing the GTV user agent won't unblock their web sites.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  3. Obs

Obs New Member

Thank you for your reply...

Not to browse anonymously, but using a private network. So, essentially I'm asking if there are settings in the gtv's chrome version to use through the proxy? I had seen an old blog posting that this was not possible with an earlier version (end of 2011), and I was hoping this was made possible with newer versions like the NSZ-GS7??

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi. I only have the Logitech Revue GTV device. But all of the GTV devices essentially have the same web browser. It's a modified version of Chrome 11. So I don't believe that it's possible with any GTV device currently.

In case you're curious - the following is the current browser user agent string for GTV devices:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686) AppleWebKit/534.24 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/11.0.696.77 Safari/534.24

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a link to the GTV Developers FAQ web site that answers the question about GTV browser user agent string:

https://developers.google.com/tv/faq#whichversion

From the web site:

"What is the User Agent string from the Google TV browser?

The following is an example of a typical User Agent string from Google TV:

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; GoogleTV 4.0.4; <Build Tag>) AppleWebKit/534.24 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/11.0.696.77 Safari/534.24

Note that the build tag above is typically supplied by Google TV makers and can vary but the key signature GoogleTV will always be same in the user agent string. Note also that in prior releases of Google TV user agent string had a slightly different format like the example given below:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux armv7l) AppleWebKit/534.24 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/11.0.696.77 Large Screen Safari/534.24 GoogleTV/000000

but the key signature GoogleTV is the same. The only change is in the placement position of the signature string GoogleTV. If your app depends on how user agent provides information about user's device, be sure to validate and double check. We recommend that you search for the signature GoogleTV irrespective of its placement position in user agent so that your app will continue to work against both the new and old formats of user agent."

Last edited: May 10, 2013