Quantcast

Newbie to GTV

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by remmic, May 6, 2013.

1. remmic

remmic New Member

Hey all. I do not yet have a GTV device. My wife and I are wanting to ditch comcast so we are wanting to find a device that has a DVR built in either for local or cloud storage (I have 4tb on my local network). Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

2. smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13 Administrator Staff Member

Welcome aboard! Hopefully you will find the answers ya need here :)!

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Of course Google TV does not have a DVR built in. If you want a DVR for OTA content, TiVo is the best and Windows Media Center a distant second best in my opinion. There are of course less expensive options but none I have seen are anything I would use. I use Google TV in conjunction with TiVo and believe it is a great part of a solution to cut the cord.

4. remmic

remmic New Member

Thanks!! Which Tivo do you have? I've been looking at their site and they have the Premier DVR for 79 right now so i'm tempted to grab it. Do you have to pay for the subscription or can you make due without? Sorry for the onslaught of questions lol.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I use the previous model, TiVoHD. The refurbished TiVo Premiere at $79 with 500GB driveis a great deal as is the 1TB Premiere XL version currently at $149. I would recommend buying lifetime service, not paying a monthly fee. Of course the prices TiVo sells the hardware for don't begin to cover the cost so the profits, if any, always come from service fees. I have two TiVoHDs with lifetime service, four and five years old now, both still work great and I have been using TiVo since October 2000, always with lifetime service.