Quantcast

Newbie to GTV needs CoStar help...

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by bryanspellman, Oct 4, 2012.

1. bryanspellman

bryanspellman New Member

THese forums have been great helping me set up but I still have a few more questions on my new Co-Star:

1. Can I change the CHROME settings to watch nbc.com / abc.com etc content?

2. I've got PLEX working but can't figure how to play content on my PC (at nbc.com for example) and have it show up in PLEX

3. If I use Dolphin or Firefox will they notice it is from Google TV box and block the content like they do in Chrome?

Thank you so much
    Bryan

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum.

NBC.com currently works only by setting my Chrome user agent to "generic". The videos from ABC, CBS, and FOX won't work at all directly with GTV devices. All of the TV station's owned by Viacom have web sites that will work with GTV ONLY if you change your Chrome user agent setting to "generic". HBO GO is currently having issues with GTV and many of the TV series will not play. ESPN3 will work with Google TV if you have a supported Internet provider.

I suggest that you click on the link on my sig below for a nice list of content that can be viewed with GTV (it includes links to all the TV channel web sites). Also the "Project Free TV" and "Major American TV Channel" threads (in the general section of the forum) are good places to keep up with interesting content that works with GTV.

Generally speaking I think that you'll have better success in finding content with Playon (instead of Plex) via dlna to your Co-Star. Playon will allow you to view Hulu and some network TV sites that are otherwise being blocked on GTV.

The Dolphin and Firefox browsers will not play Flash content with GTV. Only the Chrome browser that comes baked into the GTV OS will play Flash. This is because Flash on GTV is baked into the GTV OS.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  3. bryanspellman

bryanspellman New Member

Thanks for the info AND the link to your site. I will be using it tonight when I get home.

Question: how do I set both Chrome and GTV to 'generic' as you suggest to get both content sources.

I couldn't find more than basic settings in Chrome....

Thank you again!
    Bryan

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I only own the Logitech Revue so this is how I change the Chrome user agent setting on my Revue:

1) Press the menu key (on the Revue it's the key on bottom row of keyboard with 4 horizontal bars).

2) Click "settings" from the menu

3) Click "advanced settings"

4) Click "under the hood"

5) scroll down a bit and you will see where to click for "generic", "default", or "custom" user agent

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: The menu key must be pressed while you are on any web page with Chrome browser. It doesn't work from inside an app or from the home screen. And you will get the incorrect menu (for changing the user agent) - if you press the home key before you press the menu key.

As I said the proper menu comes up only if your on a web page with Chrome. This is because it's actually a Chrome menu. For example: just press the menu key while viewing this post on the forum (and the correct menu will pop-up).

The above instructions are for how it works with my Logitech Revue.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
    • Like Like x 2