Quantcast

Newbie, sorry for the stupid question

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by mike68, Jun 19, 2011.

1. mike68

mike68 New Member

Why do I need a set top box or bluray player? What is there function? I dont understand why there are no stand alone models. I know for the logitect revue is intigrated with the sat reciever so your program guide and DVR content is used in the search results. I want Google tv bad but I do not want Dish Networks greedy paws on it. I can search my DVR content for myself thank you. I do not understand why Sony incorporates a bluray player. I do not want another useless bluray player. Seriously, every DVD rental place including Movie Gallery, Blockbuster and all the mom and pops stores have closed up. Optical storage is a dead media. When they come out with a stand alone specific device for Google TV, I will jump on it. I hope the next keyboard will have a mouse like the analog stick for the new Sony Vita has. I have used the mouse pads for the logitech revue and sony versions and I wish they would have put more thought into the design. Please, if there is already a stand alone device nobody I know has seen it and nothing comes up in my Google search. Please tell me where to get one. I am specificaly looking to find a device to register with Netflix and use in another room of the house with a not so often used HDTV. I do not want another PS3 or Xbox 360 or Bluray player. Just something I can use for nothing else but Netflix and email. Please help. I just answered my own question. A computer with an HD graphics card, sorry to bother you guys.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I use my Logitech Revue as a stand alone device. Why don't you just the Revue without Dish Network? You can also add a regular Logitech mouse to the Revue through the USB port.

3. mike68

mike68 New Member

I am sold. I did not know it could be used that way. I was told the device must be activated by Dish Network or Sony depending on your version. Will the device have its own IP Adress? Will the device be one of the three devices allowed to be registered with my Netflix account? Will the device operate only through the my ISP or is a third party involved? I ask the last question because I am concerned about Sony or Dish Network keeping information of my surfing habits, emails, IP Adresses and "Tuning Data". I know my ISP and Google already does but thats the deal I made with them. If Sony or Dish want that information, they can pay me for it.