Quantcast

Newbie Qs

Discussion in 'Google TV FAQs' started by teamquasebarth, Feb 10, 2011.

1. teamquasebarth

teamquasebarth New Member

I'm really interested in buying the google tv, but only to cut my cable bill. We dont watch a lot of shows just a few ones that can be found on sites like projectfreetv.com or tubeplus. I was wondering if you can use google tv to view these sites and watch the shows posted on them?

2. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

3. galfert

galfert Active Member

Projectfreetv.com is not a real direct source for videos. Projectfreetv.com works more like a directory that then sends you to other websites that have the content. Some of those sites that Projectfreetv.com redirects you to are compatible with Google TV (like crackle) and other are not (at least not without some help - I'll explain more below).

Tubeplus requires xvid or divx and so it is not supported on Google TV for now. When the apps market opens up (expected in the next couple months) then I'm sure we will see apps that will allow xvid and divx to work. Tube plus also works by allowing download of content through the emule network. You can't install emule on Google TV but you can install it on your pc and have your pc download the content from Tubeplus and then Google TV can stream the downloaded content that you saved on your PC through your network.

Projectfreetv.com also for some redirected sites works by downloading content. Since Google TV does not have storage you need to download it using your PC and then you connect to you PC via Google TV's media player to play your downloaded content.

Google TV was not really designed to be used by cutting your cable company out of the picture. You'll be missing out on features like "whats on" and the Google universal search that returns results for what your cable company has available now and up and coming. But if you really wanted to then you could use Google TV and cut the cable company out. But it seems that you'll really be needing the Google TV media player functionality to play what your PC has downloaded. For this reason I recommend the Logitech Revue rather than the Sony because the Media Player is different and in the Logitech is supports more video file types that you might be downloading from projectfreetv.com and tubeplus.

EDIT: It is actually not projectfreetv.com but rather projectfreetv.org

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  4. dkh086

dkh086 New Member

Hello, I am a total.. newbie and this most likely might be a stupid question but how do you connect your computer to the tv? Also is it possible to use it as a external monitor?

5. stuberman

stuberman Member

The short answer is it depends.
    On your computer what kind of 'video out' is available?
    Some computers have a composite video out (single yellow RCA jack)
    Most have VGA (15 pin) out which most TVs do not accept.
    Some also have DVI or HDMI (digital) out which some TVs accept.

For my older desktop I had to buy a video card that had component (5 colors of RCA jacks) output which connected to my TV.

TVs usually make lousy monitors (depends on resolution) if you are going to use them to read text.

6. TomTheMan

TomTheMan New Member

Cutting the cord completely can be difficult. I cut my cable and replaced it three ways:

1. Netflix - Videos at home and digitally fill a good amount of tv hours
    2. Digital antenna - Don't forget tv is still free you just need the antenna and converter box for older tv's
    3. TUBE+ Watch full length TV Shows and Movies online for free - A collection of sites for free television.

Good luck

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The one device which has given me the best signs of cutting cord is the Tivo Premiere. The nice thing is that I don't have to go "cold turkey" since it allows combines access to OTA and cable programming in one device. I've found out that most of the programming that I do watch is easily recorded from the OTA input. Plus, it adds access to Hulu Plus and Blockbuster OnDemand which is currently not available on the Google TV even with the current Android Market. So, by uniting the Tivo Premeier with the Logitech Revue, I'm probably going to cut the cord as soon as my contract expires.

8. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

I'm one of those cord-cutters. I was a happy DirecTV sub spending loads of money on two subbed dual-tuner DirecTiVo's, recording all my crap. I found that I didn't really watch most of my Season Passes anymore, and I found myself using Netflix for movies more than anything. Then I moved, and lost LOS to the sats! Booo! I knew I NEVER wanted to see a cable bill, so my cord was then and there. Luckily, Netflix continued my movie fix, and online streaming cured my news habit. The Roku Netflix player came along, and grew, and it has entirely replaced my need for a cable/sat service. I do sub to Netflix stream-only now, along with HULU+ (but thinking about cancelling that since we rarely watch it), as well as a bunch of music services accessible on Roku or my Android phones (Pandora, Spotify, Rhapsody, Subsonic server). I don't feel deprived of viewable content at all..indeed there's too much to watch! :)