Quantcast

Newbie pre-purchase questions

Discussion in 'Google TV Hardware Discussion' started by smurph, Oct 25, 2012.

1. smurph

smurph New Member

I am a HTC/Android user, and have heard good things re Google / android TV.
    I am considering purchasing a USB-HDMI version.

Is this ok, or is a box better?
    I assume the usb is wifi, and boxes be either?

Should I be going for Android 2.3/4.0/4.1, or are they all easily upgradeable?

Will it stream media from PC?
    Might it have a port to add an HDD for recording? Can this be done to PC (maybe if wired to/thru router)?

Best way to control it.....I don't want a TV type control....I would like as similar to a mouse as possible....I've seen the Rii R900 (link not aloowed as a newbie!), any other out there?

How can I find what channels I can stream etc? Or is this done by Apps on the google play?

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

It sounds to me that you are talking about "android TV" -(and not the official Google TV devices). They are 2 very distinct and different products. The android TV devices do not have HDMI overlays - and as such they offer no interaction with your cable box. This is a primary feature of GTV (although it's not required to use this feature with GTV). With the android TV devices there will be more apps available.

Most of these android dongles, smart sticks, boxes, etc. are made and sold by companies from China. I haven't tried any of them yet - however my hunch is that GTV would be better supported (as far as firmware updates etc.)

Currently the real Google TV devices are from Sony, Logitech, Vizio, and LG. Hisense will be coming out with a GTV box soon.

Since it seems as though your primary interest is with android tv and not Google TV? - I think this thread is best served in the "off-topic" section. I have posted about several of the recent android TV smart sticks in the off-topic section.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  3. smurph

smurph New Member

Your quite right I am leaning toward the andoid tv usb dongle, espacially as don't have cable anyway.
    Not sure sure what you mean by "do not have HDMI overlays"?
    Thanks anyway, will ook in that section.

4. CatfishRivers

Google TV is unique in that it has both HDMI in and HDMI out. This allows it to have direct interaction with the cable box. One suggestion I have about the android TV dongles - is go with one that has at least 1GB of RAM.

• Like Like x 2
  5. smurph

smurph New Member

Understood, thanks...know of any other forums dedicated to android tv by any chance?

6. CatfishRivers

Well the following forum (see link below) isn't dedicated to android TV per se - but it has a large amount of threads about android TV devices. Just glanced at it and it seems most of the threads are android TV threads:

Google TV - Android Forums

Also the online publication "Liliputing" is a great source for reading articles/reviews about the latest android dongles. They have other tech articles too (mostly about mobile devices) - so just browse/search through their articles and you will find quite a few:

Liliputing - Compact Computing

7. howpilot

howpilot New Member

Can the sony "record" from Google TV. Why oh why is this machine so secret on how to use it? Do I need some kind of App to download and playback????? Supplied user guides are Use....Less