Quantcast

New YouTube update mentions GTV v4 (Sept. 12th release)

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by galfert, Sep 13, 2013.

1. galfert

galfert Active Member

The newest YouTube update released September 12th. v1.7.2 description mentions performance improvements for Google TV version 4. I hope this means we get v4 soon.

FYI - GTV version 4 is the Android Jellybean update.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  2. retroben

retroben Active Member

At least someone besides me noticed this.

I blame ChromeCast and Android 4.4 (Kit-Kat) for the further delayed JellyBean upgrade.

They should have just made a NDK capable 3.3 HoneyComb release.

3. googlethis

googlethis New Member

Since getting this update, Youtube is back to force closing at times again. The last update seemed to have fixed that for my Sony NSZ-GS7

4. vhdcinema

vhdcinema New Member

Restart the app.

5. retroben

retroben Active Member

I never have any trouble with the Youtube for TV app on my GS7.
    I had a perfect run of the SEP 12th Youtube on REL11.

What I find very strange is that I have yet to see a single aw snap page on YouTube.com lately.
    I wonder if it is caused by the changes on YouTube's video player.

I still have no idea why Google searches get the aw snap message.

I was searching for "Google TV update" and I set the search option to "past week" to narrow my search.
    When I went to page two,Google Search aw snapped on me,preventing me from accessing "Google Search" on "Google" Chrome.

WHAT THE FLYING DUCK!

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

There is also a web version of YouTube for TV:

https://www.youtube.com/tv#/browse

I never get the Aw Snap! message in the web version of YouTube for TV - however I'm still getting some Aw Snap! messages from the regular YouTube.com web site. (I'm using a Logitech Revue).

The YouTube for TV web site doesn't allow me to sign-in. So I can't view my playlists. I click to sign-in - then it gives me a code and tells me to go to youtube.com/activate and enter the code. I did that and then the youtube.com/activate page said I successfully activated my device. However when I go back to the YouTube for TV web site and try to sign-in - I'm just given a different code number and told to go to youtube.com/activate. I tried several times and it always does the same thing.

7. CatfishRivers

Here is a little trick for how to watch YouTube videos that trigger the Aw Snap! message from the YouTube web site.

1) If the Aw Snap! message is triggered get the URL for the YouTube video. You can do this by pressing the home key (after the Aw Snap! message was triggered) and then clicking on the Chrome icon (on the Home row). You will then see the URL in the Chrome bar on top.

2) Type in: "tv#/" after the youtube.com/ in the URL. For instance the new URL will look like this: youtube.com/tv#/(rest of URL). Everthing else in the URL remains the same.

3) Press Ctrl + A to highlight the URL. Then press Ctrl + C to copy the URL.

4) Press the magnifying glass key and paste in the URL to the search bar by typing Ctrl + V.

5) Click to go to the site. (After you click to go to the site the video will play in full screen mode from the "YouTube for TV" web site.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  8. CatfishRivers

A similar workaround for the Aw Snap! message exists by utilizing the Youtuberepeater.com web site.

Instead of entering "tv#/" into the URL for the YouTube video - just insert the word "repeater" into the URL in the following manner:

youtuberepeater.com/rest of URL

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: For the YouTube repeater method once you have modified the URL you can then go directly there by clicking to go to the site from the Chrome bar. (No need to copy and paste the URL into the search bar from the magnifying glass key - this is only required if you are using the "YouTube for TV" workaround method mentioned in my previous post).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  9. retroben

retroben Active Member

I can only assume the tv version of YouTube is a replacement of the discontinued YouTube XL.

What I find annoying about the tv version of YouTube is that it stays the same bulky size on search results when attempting to zoom in/out.

Interesting,the video player control bar matches the YouTube for TV app's control bar.

10. Travel

Travel Active Member

Try signing-in on "Google+." When I first got the Review I couldn't sign-in on the YouTube app and, therefore, couldn't access playlists, etc. (although I could search/play videos -just the "personal" section of the app wasn't available). I kept getting error messages to sign-in to YouTube.com, first, to integrate it with the YouTube app, Thing is, I was already signed-in on the YouTube.com web site.

I couldn't figure it out for a long time (Logitech Customer Service was clueless). Finally I stumbled upon a forum-like post that stated that you have to sign-up on the Google+ web site to be able to sign-in and get access to the "personal" section/saved playlists, etc. of the GoogleTV YouTube app.
    I signed-up on Google+, and from then on I was able to sign-in and gain access to playlists on the app.

No idea why it worked that way, or if this even applies to your situation though, but it might be worth a try.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  11. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

I found to go to gmail.com and make sure you are signed in to your Google account.I had such an episode once after I cleared everything out including cookies.Now when I do a complete clean up going to gmail via browser is the first thing I do.Hope this helps.When my GS7 acts crazy and a soft reset doesn't clear it up I go into settings and delete cookies and everything else.May be some trouble but it's less than a factory reset.

12. CatfishRivers

Hi. Sorry it seems my post about signing-in wasn't clear. I'm able to sign-in to the GTV YouTube app just fine - however it's the WEB version of "YouTube for TV" that doesn't allow me to sign-in. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/tv

Are you able to get signed in to the "YouTube for TV" web site? It doesn't let me sign-in with my Logitech Revue. I follow the instructions of entering the code on the Google accounts page - and it says I successfully registered. But upon returning to the "YouTube for TV" web site - the sign-in feature is a no-go. (It just gives me another code number and tell me to sign-up again.)

13. googlethis

googlethis New Member

It restarts itself and works for a while until it force closes again.

14. CatfishRivers

If you read the reviews (after the new GTV YouTube update on Sept. 12th) - a bunch of GTV users are saying the new app has force close problems. (See the reviews on Google Play Store here):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.youtube.googletv

I'm not sure if this related to an internet bandwidth issue or a problem with the app itself - but IMO it's probably the app itself. (I'm unable to try the new YouTube app myself because my Revue doesn't download or update apps - thus I have no personal experience with it to report. I'm using the original GTV YouTube app (version 1.1) and it works pretty good).

I suggest going to settings and "force stop" & "clear data" from the YouTube app. If that doesn't help then try uninstalling and reinstalling the YouTube app. And it's a good idea to reboot your router & your GTV device.

15. Travel

Travel Active Member

No, I get the same "code process" and same result on the GS7 as you described for the Revue: can't sign-in. After entering the code and going back to the YouTube/TV sign-in, it just gives another code to repeat the same process.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  16. googlethis

googlethis New Member

Yep I saw the reviews before I installed the update. The router and the device have been rebooted since then. Haven't tried to clear data. My internet speeds are very good with 30Mbps down and 6 Mbps up so yea it's the app. Didn't have any trouble with the last update on Youtube.

17. CatfishRivers

I definitely suggest clearing the data. Please report back with your findings.

18. googlethis

googlethis New Member

Cleared the data, watched 1 video and at the end of the video pressed the back button and it froze up then the Youtube app force closed. Went back into the app and watched maybe 5 more videos then on the 6th is had a playback error, could not authenticate user. Pressed try again and it played.

A few updates ago I was getting the playback errors as were many others but then the next update fixed that. Now back to crap again.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  19. CatfishRivers

Thanks for your input. Well I've read elsewhere that several other GTV users mentioned that clearing data for the YouTube app helps with the force close issue. Apparently it seems to have helped your force close issue (based on your description) - although clearing data probably does not help the "could not authenticate user" issue. Would you say that is a fair assessment?

Have you considered uninstalling the current YouTube version and using the original version (1.1)? I'm using version 1.1 and it seems to be stable. I can't really compare version 1.1 to version 1.7.2 because my Revue doesn't update apps. If you try it please give your thoughts on a comparison of those two versions.

20. malaugh

malaugh New Member

How do you get YouTube version 1.1? I would love to switch, the new YouTube crashes every 5 minutes on my Sony GTV.