Quantcast

New with LG 55G2

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by PapaEcho, Nov 27, 2012.

1. PapaEcho

PapaEcho New Member

Hello,
    Since a couple of days I own a LG 55G2. I like the picture, but I also have some problems. I only use an Internet connection (15 mbit/s), but no cable, satellite or antenna right now.

1. I was told that I can watch ABC, NBC, etc. (sometimes live) over the internet, but it does not work. I get messages like this: “The device, operating system or web browser you’re using is not currently supported.”
    I found this in the forum: 3669-cant-watch-online-episodes-tv-shows.html
    (I cannot post a link, because I am a new user. That's crazy!)
    but it doesn’t help me. I have sent a feedback to ABC and received an automated email.

2. I often download movies (*.avi files) from a legal source. This works, but the download with the TV is very slow. If I download the files with my notebook it goes much faster. I use Firefox and a download manager (DownThemAll). Is there an app like this available that plugs into Chrome on the LG 55G2?

3. I tried the FTP Server on the LG 55G2 and it works in a browser from my PC (read only) or with FireFTP (Plugin for Firefox). I also have an USB Stick at the TV. Where can I find this memory on the FTP-Server? The Upload of an *.AVI File always fails. Why?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

1. Most of the networks block Google TV and as far as I know all streaming boxes, those sites for the most part provide content licensed for traditional PCs only. There are some exceptions to that rule. You can waste time contacting the sites if you want, but you won't accomplish anything.

2. I don't know what legal source you are downloading movies from with the LG Google TV, there are many sites for streaming movies legally with Google TV but other than downloading public domain movies using the Mitty app, I am not aware of any legal sources for downloading movies with Google TV.

3. PapaEcho

PapaEcho New Member

Thank you ChrisG8 for the answer.

1. This is disappointing. If I would have known this before, I wouldn't have ordered a Google TV.

2. The source I use is in a foreign country and the contents are in a foreign language. It is legal there. But the question was if a download manager exits for my LG 55G2?

3. Does anyone have an answer for my 3rd question? For me it looks as if the USB stick is a mechanical way to transport files from a PC to the TV. Is that right?

My conclusion is that a Google TV it not a good idea. A "Non-Smart" TV and a PC/Laptop would be the better combination.

4. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

1) What most google tv users do is set up plex on their home computer and plex has channels you can add for the ABC, NBC, Hulu content your saying is unavailable on your tv.

2) With plex you can put those foreign movies in a special movies folder that plex can read and plex will usally index the movies for you.

3) plex can stay on a spare computer or some nas's that support it and serve your movies and that way you will not be messing with the google tv's internal memory to save your files too. By the way you can also copy your spare avi's to a thumb drive and use GTVbox to view them if they are viewable with your google tv if you don't want to mess with plex.