Quantcast

New user w/ questions for my 86 year old mother

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by DoninDEN, Jul 21, 2013.

1. DoninDEN

DoninDEN New Member

Hi all! My mother is 86 and years ago I bought her WebTV so she could use email to be in touch with her friends. A few years ago, I bought her an iPad trying to move her away from WebTV. She didn't care for the touch screen much on the iPad.:rolleyes:

This fall WebTV will be no more so she's worried on what to do. My goal is to find her something that makes the transition as easy and rewarding as possible.

We've discussed laptops and she's ok with that, but I doubt she will ever use any of the addition capabilities that a laptop offers.

I just purchased a used 24" Sony all in one Google TV (NSX24GT1) for her. I looked at the newer remote Google TV boxes, but she currently has a CRT TV, so I knew I would have to upgrade her to new TV with HDMI for a remote Google TV box, so the used all in one unit seemed like the best deal. Google TV appears to be the best fit for the transition and I have a few questions.

1) Will the Sony Google TV be up to date with all the apps that the newer devices have? (What will be missing?)
    2) Any known problems with the Sony all in one Google TVs (NSX24GT1)? (I want to set her up with something that is easy and problem free)
    3) I guess the biggest question is will she be able to access her email easily? (All of her WebTV email because WebTV is a MSN product is transferring over to Outlook the new name for Hotmail.)
    4) What remote keyboards work with Sony's all in one Google TVs? (She will not likely be able to use the Sony remote.)

Thank you!:)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

I had to look up that model because I had never heard of it. I notice that it is no longer being sold by Sony. This must be a 1st gen model and if so, I doubt that it will get the current updates of the newer models. But I may be wrong... If you can return that TV I would suggest an LG GTV. Or just get the Sony NSZ GS 8 or GS 7.

The Logitech Revue Keyboard K700 works best w/GTV devices and TVs. You will need to use a computer to activate the Unifying Receiver which should come w/the Keyboard which are currently available on Amazon.com.

I've found that Outlook Mail works very well w/GTV. To get the most out of Outlook you need to change your User Agent string in Advanced Settings.

User Agent String:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_8_2) AppleWebKit/537.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/24.0.1309.0 Safari/537.17

Just copy & paste into User Agent text box. Click OK.

Also, I would advise against buying the TV. I'd go for a new HDTV and the GS 8 unit w/the K700 Keyboard (sold separately). It is actually a simple setup. Besides, its cheaper...

Carl

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The best solution I can think of would be a Google TV box with Logitech K700 keyboard. I think the Sony NSZ-GS7 is the best model right now but if something new is coming, that will probably be even better. I am 61 and really don't care for the small qwerty keypads or touch screens for email, IM or forum participation, I want a full sized keyboard. I was hoping a good Bluetooth keyboard to use with Google TV was coming but so far, I have seen nothing that beats the K700 RF with USB receiver.

4. DoninDEN

DoninDEN New Member

Thank you both for your replies! I would think that the apps available on one series would be available on all, given its the same Droid platform. Maybe that's not correct. I guess since I'm so to speak pregnant with the NSX24GTI, I'll have to see how it's does. If its not great, I can resell on eBay and just be out the shipping and the hassle. I just want it to be easy on her. Hey, I'm 51 and at 61 we are a decade apart and we probably both a lot more comfortable with technology than someone 2 & 1/2 and 3 & 1/2 our senior!;)

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The big difference in the amount of apps available for first generation GTV devices compared to second generation GTV devices will come after the GTV Jellybean update (due out in the third quarter).

The GTV Jellybean update will add NDK support and hardware support for DRM. Also the GTV Jellybean update is supposed to unify GTV with the android platform.

Currently many many android apps are not compatible with the current GTV Honeycomb OS. But after the Jellybean update I suspect that will change. Also apps from premium content providers that rely on the latest GTV DRM won't be working with first generation GTV devices.

Google has already announced that first generation GTV devices (including your Sony GTV television) will not be receiving the Jellybean OS update.

6. DoninDEN

DoninDEN New Member

I'm hoping it will still be ok for my mother, she'll just want to access Outlook and maybe I can get her to use my Netflix account. It is cool how Google is moving forward. Apple hints about it and Balmer is, well I don't know what I'd say about Balmer. Meanwhile Google is doing it. Disappointed there will be older stranded olde generation assets, but that's not uncommon.

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Not really much difference in first and second generation Google TV now, I am running both, but we are expecting great things with the update to Android 4.2.2 with the second gen devices soon. It is possible that the first generation Sony will work well for your mother's needs and if she has problems with the little qwerty keypad, the Logitech K700 might be a good idea. I haven't used the K700 with any of the HDTVs with Google TV but I have used it with the Sony NSZ-GT1 and it is my preferred controller for that model. I don't think it will be able to turn the TV on and it might not be a good choice as a result.

8. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

One option that you might want to consider after the GTV Jellybean update rolls out - is buying one of the second generation GTV boxes and connecting it to your Sony GTV television. That way you will still have Flash 10.2 (with your original Sony GTV television) - plus all the goodies of the GTV Jellybean update.

9. DoninDEN

DoninDEN New Member

This is really good detailed advice! Wow! I'm embarassed to admit I don't know what a user agent string is, but now I have what to do to make it work! The problem with the LG TVs is they are a lot larger than my mother would use (or would be let into her house!:rolleyes:).

I like the idea of the GS8 unit with the keyboard, but it will be almost twice as expensive. $200 for the GS8, $50 for the keyboard and $250 for a small LCD, vs. $300 for a used Google 24" TV. But for the couple hundred bucks, she gains a lighter better TV and the current technology for Google TV. The lighter TV is probably the most significant for her, not that she'll move it, just that it is less likely to tip.

What other benefits will she realize in a GS8 over a all in one unit?

I'm going to search on the difference between the GS7 and the GS8. I doubt she will be interested in talking commands into the remote.

Does the keyboard work flawlessly with the Gs7 and Gs8?

10. DoninDEN

DoninDEN New Member

You guys are convincing me to really consider a GS8...