Quantcast

New user question on NSX-GT1

Discussion in 'Sony NSZ-GT1' started by DoninDEN, Jul 21, 2013.

1. DoninDEN

DoninDEN New Member

Hi, I posted this in the introduce yourself forum, but as a new user, I wasn't sure if the question should be here. I hope I am not violating the forum rules, but I thought it would be prudent to have it in both places given some questions are specific to the NSX-GT1 and others are more general. Here it is and thanks!

Hi all! My mother is 86 and years ago I bought her WebTV so she could use email to be in touch with her friends. A few years ago, I bought her an iPad trying to move her away from WebTV. She didn't care for the touch screen much on the iPad.

This fall WebTV will be no more so she's worried on what to do. My goal is to find her something that makes the transition as easy and rewarding as possible.

We've discussed laptops and she's ok with that, but I doubt she will ever use any of the addition capabilities that a laptop offers.

I just purchased a used 24" Sony all in one Google TV (NSX24GT1) for her. I looked at the newer remote Google TV boxes, but she currently has a CRT TV, so I knew I would have to upgrade her to new TV with HDMI for a remote Google TV box, so the used all in one unit seemed like the best deal. Google TV appears to be the best fit for the transition and I have a few questions.

1) Will the Sony Google TV be up to date with all the apps that the newer devices have? (What will be missing?)
    2) Any known problems with the Sony all in one Google TVs (NSX24GT1)? (I want to set her up with something that is easy and problem free)
    3) I guess the biggest question is will she be able to access her email easily? (All of her WebTV email because WebTV is a MSN product is transferring over to Outlook the new name for Hotmail.)
    4) What remote keyboards work with Sony's all in one Google TVs? (She will not likely be able to use the Sony remote.)

Thank you!

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the Sony television with GTV is considered a first generation GTV device and it won't be getting the big GTV Jellybean OS update (the update is due out in the third quarter). The first generation devices don't have the Amazon Prime app and Vudu app. Also they don't have the GTV voice search. The Gmail should be OK - but currently there is a problem with some GTV users only being able to access the basic HTML version of Gmail. She might actually like the HTML version better though because it's more simplistic.

You can buy a Logitech K700 keyboard and pair it to her Sony Google TV. The K700 was the full-sized keyboard that came with the Logitech Revue. Many GTV users love that keyboard and it works with Sony GTV devices. You can find it on Amazon or Ebay. *Note: Some GTV users say the K700 keyboard on Amazon & Ebay is plug & play. But someone said it required the pairing process. It's easy to pair the K700 keyboard to your GTV but it requires the use of a computer to complete the pairing process.

The Second generation GTV devices have the ARM processor and they first came to market in 2012. Support for the first generation devices (GTV devices with Intel processor) is pretty much gone already - although she can probably still make use of the Sony GTV television - it just won't have the recent updates & features.

One possible benefit is that the first generation GTV devices have Flash 10.2 - and the GTV Jellybean update will purge Flash from the GTV browser. Conversely, the GTV Jellybean update will include NDK support - so after the Jellybean update second generation GTV devices will have access to more apps than first generation GTV devices. (First generation GTV devices run the Honeycomb OS and don't have NDK support).

*Note: "Second generation" GTV devices currently include the Vizio Co-Star, Sony NSZ-GS7, Sony NSZ-GS8 (same device as the GS7 only difference is the GS8 is bundled with the remote w/ mic), Hisense Pulse, Asus Cube, Netgear GTV box, and LG GTV televisions.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Another possibility that you might want to consider for your mother is a Chromebook or Chromebox. They are simple to use, don't get viruses and malware, receive automatic updates from Google, boot very fast, use small amount of electricity. If Flash content is important for your mother I would say a Chromebook would be a better choice. If she likes android apps and the integration of TV search than GTV would be better. The following thread had a detailed discussion on the Chromebook subject:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...ering-set-top-box-couldn-t-keep-up-times.html

4. Mur57

Mur57 New Member

So the answer is the first generation Google Tvs don't properly function with the internet anymore

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

No, I use a Sony NSZ-GT1 with the internet almost daily, usually for hours without any issues.

6. Mur57

Mur57 New Member

Maybe you can help me. I have cable wifi in the house and the provider came to the house and confirmed the signal is very strong where the sony google tv is. I've also confirmed this with three different laptops. The network settings in GTV say that I am connected but the signal is weak. What's perplexing is that I had no trouble going online with the GTV a few months ago. For the past two years I have not been able to use YouTube or stream videos with Flash player but I was able to browse but now that has stopped working. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

7. Rob1956

Rob1956 New Member

I also use the Google TV/Blu-ray player almost daily with the internet. I'm seeing an encroaching diminishment of use. They have not and will not update the Chrome browser. Increasingly, I get "Snap! Something went wrong" when I want to see a Youtube video. More and more non-youtube video wont play unless I "update my flash". But when I try to update it, Adobe says it wont work with my current Chrome browser. So it's a Catch 22 situation. I'm ready to throw my Google TV/Blu-ray player through the window! That's pretty much the same situation as the first gen Google TV mentioned above. I'll wait to see what the new Nexus TV has to offer. But I'll probably have to buy a new Blu-ray player, cuz I doubt the Nexus will have an integrated Blu-ray player.

8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't see AW Snap once a week. It does require very specific procedures to avoid freezes and crashes but I routinely do it. I can't have more than one web page open and I keep unneeded apps closed, before doing something I often use Smart RAM Booster to close the unneeded apps. I use YouTube often but mostly use the YouTube app, an older version of the app, although I do click through and run YouTube with the web browser some and rarely have any problems playing the video when I do.

I use PlayOn/PlayLater and Plex along with an old laptop using an Intel i7-740QM processor for sites that block Google TV. I am not having any issues, as long as you don't consider having to baby the box to keep it running an issue. I want the Blu-ray player with Google TV and this is all we have right now so I am making it work. TiVo and all PC playback goes through the NSZ-GT1, everything is rock solid but I know how to do it and it is clear not very many people can or are willing to make the effort to get it to work.