Quantcast

New user and a little disappointed

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by dtlove129, Nov 16, 2011.

1. dtlove129

dtlove129 New Member

I just purchased the Blu Ray GTV 2 days ago. I've updated and got everything hooked up. My favorite part so far is the media player. Most of the apps are really useless, and I've been reading these forums and have found some that people have uploaded into a dropbox and I'm going to try and get them (facebook, mp3downloaders, etc).

2 issues that upset me and 1 of them isn't that big of a deal. 1. The big deal one is that espn3 doesn't stream on this thing. I'm sure most people that buy this are guys and we like our sports, and this is the main reason I purchased it. I'm thinking of returning for an xbox 360 once my playon expires that is on my ps3 now. It would be nice though to actually be able to use espn3 on this device and my ps3.

The other issue is that I can't get my receiver hooked up with it and what I mean is that I can't get the remote to change the volume and such on my receiver. I have that r sensor or whatever on the front of my receiver and have gone through all the codes that are programmed into the GTV. Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

If you cannot stream ESPN3 through the Sony Google TV Blu-Ray Player then most likely you do not have the Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) update yet. A little over a month ago ESPN placed a minimum threshold of Flash 10.2 for their ESPN3 video feed. The Android 2.1 for Google TV only had Flash 10.1 and therefore were no longer able to use ESPN video service. A recent update was pushed with Android 3.1 which includes Flash 10.2 that will enable you to watch the streams from ESPN3. Either that or you do not meet ESPN's requirements of being able to watch it. I just tested on my Sony Internet TV (NSX-24GT1) and am able to stream from it after waiting about a minute for the screen to load.

If you have an Xbox 360 with Xbox Live that has the best interface for ESPN of any platform. There isn't a platform that can beat it at this time, since ESPN's Xbox Live developers really took the time to take advantage of its capabilities.

If you have gone as far to place the Sony's IR Blaster directly in front AV Receiver's IR sensor and used AV Receiver control panel to configure it, then most likely Sony doesn't have the IR Blaster Code compatible for your particular receiver. I would recommend that you call Sony Technical Support for further troubleshooting and then file a request for enhancement if they're not able to resolve your problem. Hopefully, the IR control of your receiver will be addressed in a future update or patch.

• Like Like x 2
  3. dtlove129

dtlove129 New Member

eferz thank you! I'm 99% certain I have honeycomb. I mean as soon as I hooked it up it had me update it and the layout appears the way I've seen honeycomb appear when I do searches. I can pull up espn3 and sometimes it will load and play for a few minutes and other times I get that crash symbol that Chrome gives (the broken unhappy face). Luckily there hasn't been a game the last 2 days that I want to watch on there, but I was prepping myself and bookmarking it for the day there is a game I want. I even bought a new router thinking I needed more speed to run espn3, but that didn't help last night.

• Like Like x 2
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Ah, okay. If it loads at all then you have the Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) update. If you didn't then you wouldn't even have gotten that far.

Unfortunately, the problems with certain sites that use Flash is that they design it with the intention and optimization for system with better specifications, like a modern computer or laptop. Adobe Flash isn't that stable to begin with, so if the site's developer inundates it on a lower performance device then the Flash software has the propensity to crash. Either Adobe needs to institute better resource management on their Flash platform, or the web designers need to optimize their code for use with lower performing devices.

Either way, I still think you're better off watching ESPN3 on your Xbox 360.

5. dtlove129

dtlove129 New Member

That's what I thought. I don't have an espn360, but thought of returning my GTV for one because of the espn360 capabilities lacking with my current set up. Thanks for your input!

• Like Like x 2
  6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad I could help. Sorry about misinterpretating that you had an Xbox 360. Somehow my mind switched up the condition that you had an PS3 with you returning the Revue for an Xbox 360. I'm going to go ahead and blame it on all the drugs my parents took.