Quantcast

New TV HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by swallman, Sep 23, 2011.

1. swallman

swallman New Member

Just picked up a 24" Sony from Best Buy at a bargain price ($ 180). It was a display model. Only issue is that when it turns on, it is stuck on HDMI2 and I can't get the remote to work (new batteries installed).

Is there a way to reset the TV completely from scratch ? Can I hook up a USB keyboard to it or something ?

2. swallman

swallman New Member

Never mind - got it figured out and working. Will probably be back with more questions though from a newbie...

3. HeatherA

HeatherA New Member

You got a great deal on that TV! My daughter just bought hers from Amazon for $260. It's adorable and she loves it! Enjoy!!

4. swallman

swallman New Member

What's funny is I was going to buy it online, but my wife asked if I wanted to go look in the stores. I was still debating between a Revue with a new TV, or the Sony TV. Best Buy online indicated they didn't have any in the store but figured we'd go look at the Revue. Went into the store and there was one sitting on a shelf (sideways), not connected to anything. Asked them about it and they were trying to find a stand for it (it was originally in a display).

Well, they never found the stand, and offered it for $ 180 so I snatched it up. It was also missing the IR blasters (don't need them since I have Dish Network).

Called Sony and they wanted $ 130 for the stand!!! I said no thanks and found a different stand that will work for $ 30.

5. HeatherA

HeatherA New Member

Good thing you found a stand... $130 is a rip! Yeah, Best Buy has had the 24" and 32" on a big Google TV display at my store, it was still there a few weeks ago so it may be that they're now dismantling them. Our store hasn't had the 24" in stock for a month or longer... probably since the price drop to $299. We ended up having to buy my daughter's via Amazon Warehouse Deals but it came like new condition. Glad we didn't wait too long to get it, originally I was going to get it for her as a Christmas present... I doubt I would have found one had I waited. Once the price dropped that was all she wrote... bet there are a lot of these sets in college dorm rooms.

Enjoy!

6. DaN

DaN New Member

store display models, worst thing you could do

because the stores are usually well lit they always turn the TVs to their highest settings and brightness, let them run 24/7 and on top of that let people play with them all day. though it seems like a good deal the TV is now much dimmer then any new one you'd get, prob out of warranty in 2 weeks and no return policy

I wouldn't do that again

7. swallman

swallman New Member

How do you figure it would be out of warranty in 2 weeks ? A warranty begins from the point of purchase, not manufacture date. That being said, I was thinking of tacking on the BB warranty (I normally never do), primarily because it was a display model and for $ 30 it will cover 4 years, including the remote. Also, BB does still allow for a 30-day return on an open item.

This TV is going into our kitchen and won't get a lot of use. I wouldn't normally purchase a display model for an area where we watch a lot of TV, but for the price I could justify it.

8. axne1

axne1 New Member

I bought my Sony gtv for
    $150 display model. I only paid $15 extra for best buys two year black tie warranty. I'm happy
    Sent from my htc Evo 3d using Tapatalk

9. ibk

ibk New Member

I've never had a problem buying display models. My main tv is a 55" Sony wega I purchased as a display model 5 or 6 years ago. Had no problems from it at all