Quantcast

New Sony streamer and blu ray specs

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by drhill, Jul 18, 2012.

1. drhill

drhill Member

Since the US site's spec sheet isn't great I thought I would post this.

Sony has a better (in terms of detail) spec sheet on their uk website for the NSZ-GS7:
    NSZ-GS7 (NSZGS7, NSZGS7B.CEK) : Technical Specifications : TV & home cinema : Sony

They also have the new blu ray player specs as well, NSZ-GP9:
    NSZ-GP9 (NSZGP9, NSZGP9B.CEK) : Technical Specifications : TV & home cinema : Sony

The GP9 has "no" for DTS HD Master Audio and DTS audio support. Hopefully that is just for output and not for decoding as it is a blu ray player so it better decode the formats. Hopefully it will also decode HD audio in the and media player view so we can use it for DLNA and other non NDK based apps.

The GP9 seems to support everything the GS7 support plus more with the exception of "3d Streaming", but that line is confusing. It has 4 entries for the description in both player, but the GP9 has 5 answers... so maybe that's just a misprint. I'm not entirely sure what the "3d streaming" is refering to. Whether it is 3d mkv files or something from a camera.

It also mentions voice search with remote on the GP9 page.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I would say that spec sheet is a work in progress. I don't recall the last Sony Blu-ray player that wouldn't both bitstream and decode DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD but it has surely been about 5 year so that is just wrong.

The DLNA reference:

Is certainly wrong as well.

3. tinsnow

tinsnow Member

The specs are wrong. If you compare the NSZ-GS7 specs between the USA store and the UK store you will know that.

LPCM 6ch out / LPCM 8ch out is NO NO in UK store for NSZ-GS7, but it says it is supported in USA store.

4. ChrisG8

It is supported, LPCM 5.1 and 7.1 out over HDMI is most definitely supported, every Blu-ray player made does that, it is required to carry the Blu-ray logo.

5. Coins

Coins New Member

Maybe they used different hardware for the UK/US versions of the player. Some compagnies do that because of restrictions (like MP3 players having a volume cap in Europe)

6. ChrisG8

Every Blu-ray player ever made for any country must output LPCM over HDMI, this is not optional, if the player is licensed to carry the logo, it is mandatory. No Sony player has ever been unable to output LPCM over HDMI. Here is a website that discusses Blu-ray audio codecs, coverage for some is certainly optional, but not LPCM.

Dolby AC-3, LPCM and DTS 5.1 - Blu-ray Audio Codecs Explained

Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray FAQ

if any specification sheet for this player indicates LPCM is not supported over HDMI, it is incorrect, period. All variants up to 7.1 (8 channels) must be supported to carry the logo. I hope we don't have this dicussion any further.

7. ChrisG8

[h=5]What audio codecs will Blu-ray support?[/h]
    Linear PCM (LPCM) - up to 8 channels of uncompressed audio. (mandatory)
    Dolby Digital (DD) - format used for DVDs, 5.1-channel surround sound. (mandatory)
    Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) - extension of Dolby Digital, 7.1-channel surround sound. (optional)
    Dolby TrueHD - lossless encoding of up to 8 channels of audio. (optional)
    DTS Digital Surround - format used for DVDs, 5.1-channel surround sound. (mandatory)
    DTS-HD High Resolution Audio - extension of DTS, 7.1-channel surround sound. (optional)
    DTS-HD Master Audio - lossless encoding of up to 8 channels of audio. (optional)

Please note that this simply means that Blu-ray players and recorders will have to support playback of these audio codecs, it will still be up to the movie studios to decide which audio codec(s) they use for their releases.