Quantcast

New Sony NSZ-GS7 - having issues

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by perform23, Jan 8, 2013.

1. perform23

perform23 New Member

I bought a Sony NSZ-GS7 yesterday from the Source and seem to be having some issues. I like having the browser integration, so hopefully I can figure things out and not return the device. A few questions:

Background info:
    - Located in Canada
    - Using Bell Aliant FibreOP for tv and internet
    - have connected both wired and wireless
    - Browser and access to the internet works well
    - I've deleted and re-added my gmail account
    - I've completed a factory reset
    - I'm on Rel06
    - I have the Bell Aliant STB running through the Sony device
    - Tried the installation on January 7th 2013 at 10pm AST

Questions:
    1. I cannot connect to Google Play for apps. I receive a message along the lines of being unable to connect to the Google Servers. It gives me the option to retry, but no luck. Should Google Play access work for Canadians? Has anyone else experienced this issue?

2. I only saw options for entering ZIP codes for location and no Canadian TV providers are listed. Is this expected to change in the future or can I assume that the search functionality for Canadians and their STB's will not change?

3. I was surprised to learn that there is no integrated streaming ability and that you need to use Plex to transcode. This is disappointing as I've upgraded from a WDTV player which does this nicely. Can we expect an upgrade to allow this in the near future? Perhaps I should be looking at the new NetGear Google TV device announced yesterday instead? Or does the Plex software work great and its a non issue?

4. I bought this yesterday and I also have heard that Sony will be releasing new voice activated remotes with their systems. If the price point doesn't change, maybe I should return this anyway as voice commands would be nice to have?

5. Do you have the ability to manually enter US DNS addresses? (for US streaming purposes)

Any help would be appreciated!

2. perform23

perform23 New Member

I have to admit, the support for anything that is not your standard list of common issues is poor for this product (at least in Canada). After trying just about everything possible and reading other forums that offered suggestions, I gave the Sony support line a call. They didn't seem too interested in trying to understand whether the fw was US or Canadian stock and simply suggested that I return the product. I did that this morning.

So now I need to determine what the best possible product is out there that will:

1. Offer media streaming ability from PC
    2. Offer an integrated web browser on tv
    3. Work in Canada (I may try to order another NSZ-GS7, but am afraid that I will have the same issue)

I see lots of devices being released that are available in the US. Perhaps for now, the only true way to do this will be a laptop...