Quantcast

New Sony Google Internet TV user!

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by eaglerising, May 20, 2012.

1. eaglerising

eaglerising New Member

Hello, everyone!

I just got my new 32 inch Sony Google Internet TV a couple weeks ago, and as a TV, I am very happy with it. Picking up standard programming (standard and High Def) from the CableTV provider (COX here) is good, and OTA Digital Broadcast does very well as well. There is one problem, however, that is somewhat frustrating.

I set up the included Programming Guide for my area - 67501 - and set it to automatically download new content overnight, but this only worked once for a few days. Now, when I hit the "Guide" button on the remote and the Guide App loads, it informs me that it was unable to download new content and to check my settings.

I've checked my settings, and everything appears to be in order, so I'm at a loss - anyone got any clues?

I'm just starting to get into the App side of things as far as the Market apps. There's a few things I'd like to do as far as apps and stuff are concerned, but I'm a bit leery of trying out Home Launchers for the apps and stuff because I don't know how they'd work on the TV, or how to remove them if they don't work properly. Anyone have any input as far as that is concerned?

I'm glad I found this forum, I'm going to be here a lot, I think!

Thanks,

Zach

2. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Usally the guide does not work for a few reasons. One reason is you changed the default from antenna and over the air programming to your cable tv provider. I was told to use the guide that I had to have the over the air antenna hooked up to the tv directly is the best way as the data is gathered from the over the air signal and probably when you hooked up the cox part to the tv you screwed up the guides abuility to gather the data it needs.

Depending on your default settings on what is set when you turn on the tv , you should be able to use the tv and movies app to grab your guide data if you just cant make the normal guide work at all.

More help is at View Document

But basically to have the guide data work all the time with the tv you have to have the tv set to over the air signal use all the time and make sure not to run the ota cable through a box or anything that may degrade or block the signal. My guess is your not getting the data because your trying to combine your cox cable with over the air and the cable provider is messing up the signal data that piggy backs on the over the air signals that carries the guide data.

3. jmroszczak

jmroszczak New Member

that doesnt make sense trally...if u set it to OTA for the guide and you have a cable cord in the back of tv to get basic cable or standard cable with no box the guide wont get any of the cable channels.

4. jmroszczak

jmroszczak New Member

what i did to get the guide to work was use a different zip code...i tried many...finally i used one in a much further away town(more upscale neighbor hood) still same cityso it would be same cable channels....and it worked.

5. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I thought he might have tried to set it up like I have mine - that is why I dont get the rovi guide as I have both dish and ota setup as well and have the same problem as him.

6. eaglerising

eaglerising New Member

I have my TV plugged directly into the cable from the wall, no set top boxes. I'm not using any OTA stations, they're all coming from the cable line as well. My router is plugged directly into the Ethernet port for the TV as well, since for whatever reason (my friend says I have too much security) it will NOT connect to my router wirelessly.

So does this help to determine the problems? Also, any idea why my TV will not connect wirelessly to the router? I would like to have the router placed in a different location, but I don't have a longer cable by which to do so.

Thanks,

Zach

7. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I was told by tech support that the rovi tv guide only works with an ota cable and would not work with a cable line but if you hade it working once before maybe they told me wrong. The only other thing I can think of is you may have your tv so it uses fast power on mode. Meaning normally without fast power on mode the tv will turn completely off and takes 30 or so seconds to power on while fast mode makes it so the tv hibernates and should be able to grab the tv guide data while its turned off in hibernation mode.

You should still be able to see whats on your tv using the tv and movies app and choosing the live tv option. It will show listings up to an hour in advance.