Quantcast

New Sony Device FCC listing

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by drhill, Aug 7, 2013.

1. drhill

drhill Member

Sony NSZ-GU1 FCC filing hints at a post-Chromecast Google TV

They aren't sure what it is. Whether it's a Chromecast device or GTV device. Chromecast device would be a bit weird. Why compete with Google? Maybe a small stick GTV device?

• Like Like x 2
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

If it has an IR blaster, it must be another Sony Google TV device, at least that is how it appears to me.

3. ChrisG8

Wistrom is a really good manufacturer although I am not aware of any Google TV devices being manufactured by Wistrom.

4. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Plus the 1.4A (at 5V) power rating would be way overkill for a Chromecast type device, but not for a device with a couple of 500mA USB ports.

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  6. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

this is going to have to be really something for me to trust GTV again... if they sunset the gs7 and 8 and jump to a new formfactor with new updated processor and blah blah... im done... its just not that unique an option any more... im all for the update to jellybean or keylime... but im not near enough of a fan to trust that the latest reiteration will be that one that has the push for main line adoption.. at this point im just not interested in the next google tv... i want what was promised for the last version before i jump through this set of hoops... the competition is just too keen for to bet on this horse yet again... 3 times a charm? well im not a betting man..

7. drhill

drhill Member

It better have ethernet. Not interested in wifi devices. And a remote. None of that use your phone stuff. ;) Honestly, nothing about chromecast interests me.

8. tfid

tfid New Member

I agree, proper SW can't lag HW by a year. By the time the SW is right, the HW is out of date. GTV with Honeycomb is a JOKE!

9. tfid

tfid New Member

I also have no use for chromecast. I think it's just a gimmick to get people to use Chrome and Google Play Movies store. Also, who want's to use WiFi for streaming on 2.4GHz anyway? At least give me 5GHz if you want me to use WiFi.

10. ChrisG8

I am not sure why you are enamored with 5GHz Wireless-N, I can find absolutely no advantage conpared to 2.4GHz Wireless-N unless there is a conflict or interference with the 2.4GHz signal. The Sony NSZ-GT1 has dual band Wi-Fi, the 5GHz signal with my dual band router was not as strong as the 2.4GHz signal, although performance was identical, speed tests the same.

11. drhill

drhill Member

If I do a WiFi scan on 2.4ghz I see ~15 SSIDs. 5ghz is only me. 5ghz has a higher ceiling for throughput, though it wouldn't help as even blu rays would fit wireless G (without overhead), but for media streaming you need reliability, which is why I use Ethernet.

12. tfid

tfid New Member

If your talking about streaming from the interwebs (WAN), it doesn't matter, but from home networks (LAN) it allows me to stream high bit rate movies from my computer. My 2013 Nexus 7 tab has a 5GHz antenna, and it can stream blu ray rips from my PC without a problem. My 2.4GHz devices all choke on the same vids. If I use a wired connection they seem to work ok. Maybe my router just has low 2.4GHz specs? It's a Netgear WNDR3700.

13. tfid

tfid New Member

The problem is there IS 'overhead' and actual throughput is less than 54Mbps. That higher 'ceiling' makes all the difference on the new N7. I think all modern WiFi devices should support 5GHz. There's no excuse.

14. drhill

drhill Member

I agree that all streaming devices should support both. But 2.4ghz N does support higher then wireless G bandwidth, but interference is a problem.

15. ChrisG8

I don't have any Blu-ray rips and the local files I do have are all low bitrate. You should be able to get far greater than Blu-ray bitrates with 2.4GHz Wireless-N, I would think 3 times the rate given no interference but 5GHz exists because there can be interference at 2.4GHz so certainly there is a need for dual band Wi-Fi. I believe for a huge majority, it isn't needed which is why so few streaming players use it.

16. CatfishRivers

Hmmm according to the following article the upcoming Sony NSZ-GU1device doesn't have HDMI passthrough:

Sony FCC filing for NSZ-GU1 may show a third-party Chromecast

From the article:

"Despite Google's assurances to the contrary, could we be living in a post- Google TV world, as evidenced Sony's recent FCC filing for a Chromecast-like media streamer? Though the mysterious device follows the naming convention of the company's Google TV boxes - it's model NSZ-GU1, and they're NSZ-GT1 and NSZ-GS7, respectively - it lacks HDMI pass-through, a hallmark of Google TV.

Test diagrams indicate the GU1 is a stick, powered by an external AC adapter (or, presumably, capable A/V equipment), that plugs directly into an open HDMI port. It does come replete with an IR blaster and Bluetooth, but those features aren't necessarily indicative of anything; IR probably helps toggle the power and inputs on television sets without HDMI-CEC, and Bluetooth could be used to stream audio to a speaker system. "

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  17. CatfishRivers

18. CatfishRivers

19. ChrisG8

I don't know if that is definitive but if it is would only mean Sony is offering another streaming box without Google TV. From my point of view, if Sony gets out of the Google TV business that is bad news since the Sony models have been the best I have used.

20. CatfishRivers

Here are my thoughts on it:

There will be different forms of Google TV - some will not come with HDMI pass-through. It could be we will have "GTV Light" pure streaming devices (with only HDMI out) - and some GTV 'deluxe' devices that offer the HDMI passthrough feature. The GTV manufacturers will be given more flexibility. (Or Google is re-designing GTV to eliminate the HDMI pass-through aspect of GTV altogether).

As the articles mention - pure streaming boxes sell better and are simpler to use. Currently GTV does not sell well - it could be time to shake things up with some big fundamental changes. Plus Comcast and all the other TV providers (except for Dish Network) have shown no interest in opening up to Google TV for enhanced integration. I believe even the new Dish Hopper service doesn't work with the GTV enhanced integration. Comcast has their own new X2 box - which has content discovery features. The other cable companies are following suit with their own solutions. Running a GTV box on top of a cable TV box will be redundant.

Also Google is rumored to be working on it's own OTT (Over-The-Top) IPTV television service. If Google gets going with it's own TV service they would certainly make it part of GTV - and then the HDMI IN feature would become even less compelling.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013