Quantcast

New Question about Logitech Revue

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by primitive, Oct 14, 2011.

1. primitive

primitive New Member

Why do you need a cable or satellite receiver to use google TV? I have all the other equipment but dont have a satellite receiver with hdmi outputs. Thank you,

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

It's not required to have a cable or satellite receiver. Without them you can use the Revue as an internet device - however you won't have the full integration with TV programming that you would get if you had a cable/satellite box.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

4. primitive

primitive New Member

What would be available you say in this setup without the cable or satellite? Are you just saying you could only use it as surfing the web along with the apps and watching items that would be on the internet? If you could be more specific of what i would not be able to do with it? Also would an internet capable hdtv or a blu ray player with internet capability be just the same as using the Revue? Thank you and may God bless you!

5. scarredupmario

scarredupmario New Member

I believe you miss out on the integrated experience without a Television source. The glimmer of what truly integrated television/internet connected devices shows through on Google TV when you have a source. It is the ability to be watching cable, over the air, satellite and say let me look that up seamlessly without switching inputs, turning something else on etc. Everything else is the same old separate component let me stop this activity and switch inputs and then do internet activity x, y, z.

If you are looking for a cord-cutting device there are others that are just as well if not better suited than Google TV (at this point in time) but you'll find it all over this forum. Google TV is a companion device meant to enhance the television that you already have.

So What is available is webpages (that haven't been blocked), Spolight webpages are sites that have a Google TV specific design, Video podcast queuing, a few applications (Netflix, Pandora, NBA, CNBC) The details are pretty laid out if you look around at some of the content pages round the forum. (Project Free TV etc.)

6. 98clru

98clru New Member

If you are looking to cut the cord and have access to over the air broadcasts I've found my tivo hd to be a wonderful option and it's enhanced by my gtv. With the tivo hd and a hookup to broadband via ethernet or optional wifi adapter or via phone line for the programming guide you can get dual tuner ota digital programming and record and time shift and have an hdmi output. It's a much bigger investment than the revue alone but you get much more for it. Because of time shifting I don't have enough time to watch all I record and I only get about 15 channels not including spanish and religious. Got mine for $175 on clearance, $400 lifetime subscription so in 6 months I broke even on the investment over the $90 / month cable bill I was paying (which a year and a half later would probably be $110 the way brighthouse raises rates). The premier offers even more than my tivo hd and I think prices are about the same and it offers hulu plus which the gtv doesn't at this point.

I used a roku until I got the gtv (won it free in a contest) and it too was a great addtion to the tivo but not as powerful or user friendly as gtv but also had hulu plus. If google can get networks/hulu to stop blackballing gtv I wouldn't be timeshifting much. A roku can't check web based email or local weather reports without taking forever to load last time I checked.

Otherwise you could keep the standard input to your tv and loose that integration that google tv offers and just switch inputs and still benefit enough to justify $100 on the revue in my humble opinion or find a digital converter that has hdmi output, there were a few out there, my guess they would be at least $100 to get the integration without a tivo. I also spent $60 on a clearstream2 antenna at costco (bj's has them same price now) but that is a big your local need will vary type of thing so it could be $20 or it could be $2000 but I'm guessing you already have that part figured in.