Quantcast

New, Prospective Owner Questions

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by decks, Oct 27, 2011.

1. decks

decks New Member

I hope this is the right part of the forum to ask.

Basically, I have Directv and they are pissing me off with their fight with Fox. I'm looking to make the switch to internet based television. Because I love sports, it seems to me my best options are a mini mac or a googleTV. I watch the English Premier League a lot and need access to the content on foxsoccer.tv. Is the googleTV able to stream the video from that site? From what I read, it is able to play video from everything but Hulu, correct?
    Is there a downside to getting a googleTV that I should know about?

Thanks in advance for any help you give.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I tried the foxsoccer.tv site with my GTV - however I wasn't able to test any videos because it says I need to be a subscriber. According to the systems requirement page it runs on Chrome 3.0 or higher and Flash 10.0 or higher - so I would think it should work (with the paid subscription). Google TV currently has Chrome 5 and Flash 10.1. Here's there system requirement page:

System Requirements & Speed Settings | Help | FOX Soccer TV

In addition to Hulu - the major networks such as NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox are blocking Google TV. There is a workaround for some of this - you can use the PlayOn server to get Hulu and CBS. Most people that cut-the-cord get either the Netflix streaming or Amazon Prime subscription. In addition we list a lot of alternative content in the "Project Free TV" thread. So you might want to look there also.

• Like Like x 2
  3. decks

decks New Member

Thanks Catfish. There is a "test video" available on the foxsoccer.tv page if you were bored and wanted to test it out.
    I appreciate the extra info.

4. CatfishRivers

Do you have a link for the test video? I can't seem to find it. I'll be glad to test it.

Note: I forgot that your new so you can't post a link yet. But you can just type out the address and put .com. Or just let me know what page it's on.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  5. CatfishRivers

Ok I found the test video. The test video can be found on this page:

https://secure.foxsoccer.tv/buy#

YES I tested it and it played good on my Logitech Revue. I tried both the regular mode and the full screen mode - and they both worked good.

6. decks

decks New Member

excellent. I really appreciate your help. I've tried a number of ways to confirm or deny the sites viability on googletv, including a useless response from the site itself. GoogleTV it is.

7. drdigital1

drdigital1 New Member

I tried it as well and the video didn't play at all on my Revue (still waiting for HC update); only the audio played. Question: does your Revue have 3.1 (HC)? If not, is there any explanation as to why the test video doesn't work on my Revue?

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The most logical explanation would be that the website recently changed their encoded video streams to a format that is not compatible since CatfishRivers last tested it.

9. CatfishRivers

Hi. I just tried the test video again on my Revue. I'm still on the 2.1 update. The video took a while to load but once loaded it played ok. I even noticed that their system automatically monitored my broadband speed and selected the 'medium' playback quality. I suggest that if you see the circle spinning around (but no video) - try waiting a bit longer as the initial loading was slow. You might want to try clearing your browser cache before you test it. Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  10. CatfishRivers

OK I just tried it again and I noticed that at first there was sound but no picture.

To solve this problem I just scrolled the video down a bit and the picture then came on with the sound.

11. drdigital1

drdigital1 New Member

You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! Many thanks! All I had to do is be patient and wait a couple of minutes. The video also came up with 'medium' quality. Since my download speed is 25MBps I selected 'high' quality but it the quality continued to be mediocre e.g., far worse than espn3.com.
    Just as non-googletv comment: I have fox soccer on Comcast but it is not in HD. So I thought of subscribing to foxsoccer.tv and watch the games through the Internet, IF THE QUALITY IS BETTER THAN SD, until Comcast offers fox soccer in HD. Now I am not sure about this alternative.