Quantcast

New Problems Encountered With Honeycomb 3.2 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by squeezon, Jun 9, 2012.

1. squeezon

squeezon New Member

After watching Epix for about an hour, it crashed. The familiar "Shockwave has Crashed" showed up on the bottom of the screen. Utilizing the previous recovery recommendations I cleared
    Adobe Shockwave entries and did the Cntrl+ALT+DEL and restarted and finished the program. So it would seem the Shockwave Crash incidents previously, were not fixed in the 3.2 update.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I had ESPN3 crash several times during the Miami Heat vs. Boston Celtics NBA game last night. I don't recall ever seeing the problem that frequently but I do recall there was a suggested way to minimize the issue on ESPN3 but I wasn't having the problem and didn't pay any attention. It always crashed during or right after a commercial last night.

3. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Chris

Are you using the condensed player? I've found that I was having similar crashes, esp on the ads that air on Friday Night Fights. I double checked and noticed that I was using the regular player not the one optimized for small client devices. Usually the condensed player should open in a pop up via Menu. The URL should have the word condensed in it:

Streaming Online - WatchESPN

Carl

• Like Like x 4
  4. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

Carl,does that link contain the condensed player?

5. Carlszone

Hi Mike

Yes. I forgot this forum doesn't always show the full URL. But the cool thing is, once you open the player, you will be taken there by default until the cookies expire.

Carl

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Thanks, will try that next time.

7. Carlszone

Hi

I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to this, but every site I visited had a "Missing Plug-in," error msg. I tried clearing cache,history,cookies, etc., to no avail. I finally had to do the dreaded Factory Reset. It worked. But what I want to point out is that this occurred today after a Restart. I rec'd the update at 2:50 am Saturday. I use a launcher so I really was hoping to avoid a Factory Reset and have to redo my homescreens. Luckily my bookmarks and Apps were properly synced and showed up shortly thereafter.

Carl

8. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Carl can you please give a description of how to sync bookmarks on the Revue? (In case others will need to do a factory reset - this information will come in handy).

I haven't really tested the bookmark syncing thoroughly yet - however I noticed that after I went to settings and clicked where it said "to sync browser bookmarks with my Google account" - that my regular GTV bookmarks weren't showing up (when I pressed the bookmark key to access bookmarks in the usual way). So I'm kind of assuming that there are 2 separate places for bookmarks (after the syncing function is enabled)?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK I just experimented with it a bit further. After I went to settings and clicked to sync my bookmarks - I then tried to access my GTV bookmarks in the usual way - and I got a screen with one folder that says: "Other Bookmarks". (all my regular bookmarks don't show up). I then clicked on the "other bookmark" folder - and it said: "There are no bookmarks".

I then went to the Google bookmark web page: https://www.google.com/bookmarks/ - and my GTV bookmarks that disappeared are not listed on Google bookmarks. (I'm signed into my Google account).

I then went back to settings and unchecked the box to sync my bookmarks - and then my GTV bookmarks reappeared in their normal location.

By the way I'm still on the 3.1 update (I'm not sure if that makes a difference).

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Update #2. Strange.... I tried the same procedure a second time - and now my regular GTV bookmarks seem to be staying in place (with the box in settings checked to sync bookmarks). I went back to the Google bookmark web page and still nothing there. So I added a bookmark manually (to Google Bookmarks web page). I then rebooted by pressing: Alt + Ctrl + DEL and my regular GTV bookmarks are still up but the bookmark that I added manually to my Google Bookmarks page doesn't show up with my regular GTV bookmarks. Oh well..... Am I doing something wrong here?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  9. Carlszone

Hi

Thanks to a poster in the Web-nuts GTV group, I think I can explain the problem. As Norbert explains it in his excellent post, we actually have two Bookmark screens. If your account is properly synced you should see a bookmark screen that has an "Other Bookmarks" folder. Many will remember that when we first logged on this is the Bookmark screen we saw. But w/Factory resets and upgrades, this screen reverted back to the unsynced bookmark page. Remember, the Logitech Revue bookmarks are not saved to Google Bookmarks.

From Chrome>Settings>Google Chrome Sync>checkmark (Sync browser bookmarks w/your Google Acct)>Google Account (Select an Account to sync)>Choose Acct.

The obvious missing link has been clicking on each acct you want to sync.

Now you will see the screen that has the Other folder. You can now save sites to this page. Just go to sites and add yer bookmarks as you normally would. The other folder you can use for sites that you want separate from the main folder. For example I use it for Movies and Videos.

Now, you can also go back and forth from the synced bookmark page to the unsynced w/out loosing any of the synced sites. This is great for retrieving saved Favs and adding them to the synced page. Just remember to repeat the steps in settings.

So to recap: we have two Bookmark pages. One we will only see if the account is properly synced. Our bookmarks are NOT stored on Google Bookmarks! And you can use both pages as long as you make the necessary changes in Settings.

Good Luck!!!

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  10. Carlszone

Hi

Just to make sure this new upgrade didn't make a liar of me, I did some experimenting w/the syncing. I'd like to add a few tips that may help after you have all yer bookmarks properly synced and want to access them in a more user friendly way.

1. All Bookmarks rise to the top of the list in Chrome. To ease navigation between much used sites, edit your bookmark labels accordingly. Chrome give precedence to the label not the site. Example: I have two forums I visit. GTV forums & Webnuts. Both begin w/FO. I changed one to begin w/WE. Now at the top of the list I can access each without the need to scroll down.

2. If you have any bookmarks on the unsynced page, you will end up w/two bookmarks listed in the Chrome navigation bar. This can get annoying quickly. To eliminate this, delete your unsynced bookmarks.

3. Bookmarks can act as Apps as far as navigation is concerned. Any site you want to navigate w/out having to open chrome you can export to your Default Home Screen. Let the search feature open it for ya. Example: you want to be able to just click on Search (that Magnifying glass looking button). If you have put the shortcut onto your Applications page you can simply enter the first letter of the bookmark you want to go to. C for CNN. If C is in use, simply change it to something you'll easily remember.

4. If you use a launcher, you can navigate from any homescreen w/out needing to use the search key. Just start typing...

You might ask but why bother?

I use Netflix to stream certain content while I read. The shorter the navigation between sites and apps the more we can do. Watching Great Migrations videos in Youtube while listening to Pandora in the background can only be done w/out a crash if we set up our system to use less memory w/every site we visit. Less Restarts, less hassles.

Just a few tips most of ya already know...

Carl

11. CatfishRivers

Thanks Carl. Unfortunately this method is currently not working with my Revue. I went to settings and checked the box to sync browser bookmarks with my Google account. But for some reason when I pull up my GTV bookmarks I'm not seeing that folder for "other bookmarks" It's odd because I've seen the "other bookmarks" folder previously when I tried this in the past. I also only have 1 Google account - and my settings indicate that it's set up to sync.

Oh well I went ahead and manually added my important GTV bookmarks to my Google bookmarks web page. I'm still waiting for the 3.2 update - so I thought adding my GTV bookmarks to my Google Bookmarks web page would be a good idea (so I'll have a backup in case I need to do a full factory reset after I receive the 3.2 update.)

12. Carlszone

Hi

Catfish Rivers, ya gotta go back and make sure the checkmark is there, and THEN click on yer acct. You WILL see the Synced bookmark page. This is not something that can be an error. It is part of the system. No small client device user can see something different from the main program. You are forgetting something here. You sound just like me in the initial Web-nuts thread. Damn, I'd post it but I don't fully know the protocols for this group. Dude. it is so simple, you will laugh afterward. Well, at least I did.

Play around w/it some more. I swear you will get it. And you will maybe find a way to explain it to users that my posts obviously have not succeeded in doing..

Carl

13. CatfishRivers

I double checked and in my settings I have the box checked to sync browser bookmarks with my Google account. I have one Google account and it's showing to be synced right now. The box is checked. I just checked a third time as I'm typing this. The "other bookmark" folder currently won't show up for me.

I believe you Carl. (As I mentioned I've seen the "other bookmarks" folder on previous occasions - so I know it exists). IMO there are some "bugs" that Google needs to iron out with this bookmark syncing - which is probably why it works on yours right now - but currently not mine. It appears to be sporadic - so probably my "other bookmark" folder will show up eventually. I don't think that Google has perfected this yet IMO.

Update: OK it's working now. The "other bookmark" folder is showing up now........ Carl thanks again. Seems as though both checking the box to sync bookmarks AND then also clicking on my account is what's doing the trick now -:)

14. CatfishRivers

OK I set up all my important bookmarks to the synced version. The synced bookmarks are actually better IMO because they can make use of the sub "other bookmarks" folder. Which as Carl mentioned can be nice for organizing.

I don't seem to have the ability to add bookmarks to an "other bookmark" folder from my regular un-synced bookmarks. Is there a way to do that? (There is no "other bookmark" folder in my un-synced bookmarks).

Also I'm assuming that in case of an emergency (full factory reset required) - if the box to sync browser bookmarks to the Google account is NOT checked - then upon doing the factory reset the bookmarks will not restore?

To clarify - I was wondering if the box to sync bookmarks must be checked BEFORE the factory reset in order to restore bookmarks. Has anybody tested that? On second thought - since bookmarks synced from the browser to my account are stored in the cloud - in theory it shouldn't matter.

15. Carlszone

Hi

Now you're confusing me.

The bookmark syncing is rather simple. It only affords for the restoration of bookmarks if you have to do a factory reset. Where they are actually stored in the cloud is a mystery to me. But I did notice that after I synced my account, often but not always, some of my Apps automatically updated rather than just give me a notification that an update was available. But other apps still just notified me updates were available. Unless someone else has the patience to seek out the technical step by step process, I only care that it works. Same w/the organization of Favs. There seems to be much less ability to move Fav around by moving bookmarks to the top then in the unsynced bookmark page. Play around w/it and there must be a way to figure it all out.

My question IS, does it work for ya or doesn't it?

Carl

16. CatfishRivers

Carl yes it's working - I have my separate synced bookmarks all set-up. Although I have yet to test it with a full factory reset. But I suspect that works also. Cheers!

17. squeezon

squeezon New Member

I guess I dont get it? What do these bookmarks have to do with shockwave crashes? enlighten me please :confused:

18. Carlszone

This thread is not limited to shockwave chrashes. But to problems that we may encounter after receiving the upgrade. One of which may be the need to do a factory reset to fix the "misssing Plug-in" error. That being said, it makes sense to know how to retrieve your data.

Take care

Carl

19. squeezon

squeezon New Member

Got it! Thank you for the info.

20. twiz

twiz New Member

Unrelated to both shockwave and bookmarks, I'd like to mention my "disappearing wallpaper" issue. After closing an app and returning to my homescreen, my wallpaper has vanished and became a plain solid black. In 3.1 this happened very rarely, and the wallpaper would usually return after thinking a few moments. In 3.2 this happens all day, and I might go a few hours without seeing it return. Once I even reset the wallpaper. It's not a very big jpg - 224KB, the promotional poster for COD Black Ops., and it's the same one I've been using for a month. Even after using an app killer like RAM Boost and clearing memory, it doesn't affect the problem.