Quantcast

New Player in the Google TV Market: Samsung to Debut Google TV Equipped Smart TVs

Discussion in 'Google TV News' started by dgstorm, Aug 31, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Ironically, even though in the past Samsung has been working toward developing their own Smart TV platform to be a competitor to both Google TV and Apple TV, it looks like they may be shifting their position a bit. We have news that Samsung is ready to debut some new Google TV equipped Smart TVs later this year. Samsung has even ported their best Smart TV apps from that operating system over to Google TV. This seems like a wise move by them, and at the very least is a sign that they are hedging their bets. Most of us are huge fans of Samsung's TV's, so we are pretty excited to get one of these sets. How about you guys?

Source: Engadget

2. DFox5

DFox5 New Member

I just bought 3 Samsung TV's and all are this years model. One is a 3D slim model and two are 2D. All are Smart TV with updated software and there is nothing there with Google in it. There is a Samsung Apps that is like the Google Marketplace but that's it.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

There was talk in the press recently (and a prototype model displayed at a trade show) of an upcoming Samsung Smart TV with Google TV. After reading the articles (and watching a video) carefully - I would classify this TV as a "hybrid Samsung Smart TV with some Google TV features built-in".

It is definitely not what we know now as the "official" Google TV platform. The big thing is that it includes the full Google Play Store and Chrome browser along with all the apps from Samsung's own app ecosystem. It was mentioned that the Chrome browser doesn't support Flash.

The articles said that the TV would be released "by-the-end-of-the-year" and also "in January" was mentioned. By the way - Samsung had prototype GTV set-top boxes on display at CES 2011 - and those have never come to fruition. So we'll see if they follow through with production of this "Google TV":

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...gle-tv-display-ifa-2012-ships-later-year.html

*Note: Even though the articles state that this TV combines Samsung's own Smart Hub apps with the Google Play Store apps - it still remains to be seen if licensing agreements will allow for apps such as Hulu Plus and Vudu on this TV. Every other "official" GTV device does not have those apps (for instance even though they are available from Vizio's own app ecosystem on other Vizio devices - the Co-Star does not have Hulu-Plus or Vudu).

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  4. DFox5

DFox5 New Member

Buying the 3 Samsung TV's and 3 Sony bluray players are the reason I am in here fussing about Vudu :p

Both have Vudu but awful remotes and no Primetime but I watched a HDX movie from Vudu and that was like watching bluray... really good and didn't skip at all.

5. DFox5

DFox5 New Member

Something else I have noticed about the Samsung TV's is the browser won't load some pages. I was looking for an easy way to get my bookmarks / favorites from my pc to my TV.

I looked at it some and it saves the bookmark file as a Netscape htm file. Then I looked around on the internet some and found that Netscape turned into Firefox so I downloaded Firefox. Installed it, imported my favorites from Internet Explorer, and then saved the file. Then I looked at the saved html file and it was just like what is on the Samsung TV. It won't work though unless each bookmark is a single bookmark and not in a folder within the bookmarks. With an edit of the file it should load up on the TV.

Anyway, I think the browser on the Samsung TV's have problems and they might be wanting Google for the browser since Chrome has no problem loading anything I have tried so far.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I like Vudu really well but I consider it quite a stretch to say it looks like Blu-ray, not close in my opinion but it is as good as I think we will ever see with internet streaming.

7. terrywan

terrywan New Member

Samsung,price is expensive, I like tg-nl17d, work with my tv, and support xbmc very good, price is better.