Quantcast

New...plan to use Revue w/ TiVo over the air (OTA)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by smartin737, Dec 31, 2011.

1. smartin737

smartin737 New Member

We watch live TV so rarely anymore, I "cut the cord" when the college football regular season ended earlier this month. I've set up the OTA antenna to the TiVo, but haven't yet properly paired the TiVo with the Revue. In fact, I started browsing tonight to see if that was even possible, and I'm happy to have found several discussions on this topic here in the GoogleTV Forum.
    To date, we've only dabbled with the Review for wifi stuff--Pandora, YouTube, Amazon, and Chrome browsing. I like the interface, and hope I find it useful as a more integral part of the TV experience when I pair TiVo up with it.
    Steve M
    ------------
    OTA HD Antenna
    TiVo S4
    Sony DN1010 AV Recvr
    Acer Iconia A100 (7" tablet)
    LG G2X

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

OTA with TiVo, Blu-ray/DVD and Google TV is the best solution for cutting the cord I could find. I don't care about PIP or the Google TV overlay with TV and have decided to just use the Revue HDMI pass through for connecting a laptop for access to the sites that block Google TV. My girlfriend wanted to watch some Christmas movies from Hallmark or Lifetime, and Hulu was the place I found the movies which blocks Google TV. The other option for watching those programs from Hulu using the Revue was to purchase a DLNA server and that requires figuring out which one to buy and I wasn't able to make that decision. I do know that TVersity Pro and PlayOn were two options. We haven't watched anything else from blocked sites. I don't have any local content stored for streaming through the Revue, we watch recent movies and listen to music using discs still.

You will be able to find some college football games using ESPN3 next year if the Revue still works for that site. ESPN3 didn't work with the Revue this past football season because ESPN3 required a newer version of Adobe Flash which the Revue finally received this month. I don't know if ESPN3 will update to require a newer version again this year or not, I hope if it does, the Revue receives the update timely.

3. smartin737

smartin737 New Member

ChrisG8,
    Thanks for the HDMI-laptop pass-through idea. Should be easy enough.
    I'm also VERY glad to hear about ESPN3. Sports will be the thing I'll miss the most--by far. I'll have to check that out.

I did pair my Revue up with the TiVo yesterday. Piece of cake. The Revue serves quite well as a TiVo remote. Just wish the keyboard were functional for search fields. TiVo offers a keyboard-remote, so the input option's there. Anyone know if Logitech will release a patch to make the Revue keyboard work with TiVo?

Steve

4. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Hello smartin737, and welcome to our forum.

I see you already jumped right in here with both feet.
    Just wanted to say hi to a new member!

The Google TV Forum Team.

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That's actually up to Tivo. Their DVRs only accept keyboard input via USB HID not IR. I have the Tivo Slide which you are referring and the keyboard part is completely useless without the USB dongle that it comes with. Technically, if Tivo could enable Enhanced DVR / Advance Intergration between Google TV and their boxes. However, this requires for them to develop the software on their boxes.

6. ChrisG8

Of course only TiVo knows if it will be updated to work with the Revue keyboard for alphanumeric searches, my thought is we are more likely to walk outside someday and find hundred dollar bills dropping out of the sky. I just use the TiVo remote for TiVo and the Revue keyboard for Google TV. If things change and the keyboard becomes preferred for TiVo as well, great, but I am never troubled by trivial things like that. I remain in awe that something so inexpensive as the Revue can do so much. I see why Logitech thought the product would be a success but I guess the clunky nature of internet TV right now doesn't work for the mass market very well.

7. smartin737

smartin737 New Member

Thanks guys.
    I don't have the TiVo keyboard remote, so I didn't know how it worked. I thought it was just a matter of Revue programming its keyboard to IR-out the proper codes for keyboard input. Given how it works, it sounds like ChrisG8's prediction, "we are more likely to walk outside someday and find hundred dollar bills dropping out of the sky" is spot on.
    I got home from a trip today, so tonight I think I'll try ESPN 3 to catch up on some games I've missed.
    Steve

8. smartin737

smartin737 New Member

I watched a bowl game I'd missed using Revue's Chrome browser & ESPN 3's streaming. It was nice to be able to see the game, but I didn't like the interface. Part of that may be my fault. It didn't occur to me to try the buttons on the Revue keyboard to FF, Pause, and Rew. Do they work with Chrome for streaming shows? I just struggled through with the mouse & pointer on the stream play bar. Pretty frustrating trying to re-watch a short play on a stream play bar that's 3.5 hrs long. It was the DVR equivalent of "roughing it" for sure.
    We also watched a few episodes of a TV series streamed from ABC's website. They don't BLOCK Revue downloads, so I streamed it through a laptop with HDMI out. I unplugged the TiVo from the Revue, and plugged in the laptop. Since the Revue isn't set up with the laptop, the keyboard remote was useable only for volume control, and all playback control required laptop access. Essentially, nothing was gained by routing the playback through the Revue vs running the HDMI cable straight an open HDMI input on my A/V Receiver. Is there a more sexy way to do this?
    Thanks!
    Steve

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It depends on thier web app, some will others won't. For example, Sling Media's app will work with the media keys just fine.

Try doing that while wearing fishnet stockings. That might help.

10. smartin737

smartin737 New Member

You obviously haven't seen my legs.

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Or haven't I? *wink*

12. ChrisG8

The only thing gained I have gained running the laptop through the Revue is use of the same HDMI input in the display and use of the same audio connection to the AV receiver. If the laptop can be controlled by IR remote, then you may be able to control the laptop, playback controls, pause, etc. with the Revue and provide some additional benefit.