Quantcast

New owner of an LG 47GA6450 set, with some questions

Discussion in 'LG Internet TV' started by jblank, Sep 6, 2013.

1. jblank

jblank New Member

I just bought the LG GA6450 47" from Sams today and I understand it is the same TV as the 6400. Can someone tell me what the current firmware version is and how to update the firmware on the television? I have been working on this thing for over three hours and I CANNOT figure out how to update and even what the current version is. The manual that came with the set is HORRIBLE!

Can someone please post the recommended settings for 3D viewing as well as some calibration/customized settings for the picture settings? I am a 3D novice and really don't know what to use for settings.

Do you recommend using the "Trumotion" or not?

Also, is there any way to FORCE the LG logo on the front to stay on and not turn off after 10 minutes? I'd prefer it just stay on.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  2. guest

guest Active Member

LG has a 56 page manual in PDF format for this TV, available at no charge. The answer to your question will probably be found there.. Here's a link for it. LG 47GA6450 PDF Manual - Device Manuals

3. guest

guest Active Member

I have an LG 32LD350. In the owner's manual, I'm not seeing any mention of software/firmware. I also have a Samsung LN32C350. In the Samsung owner's manual, it says this: "Upgrades will be possible by connecting a USB drive to the USB port. Download the latest firmware from samsung . com and save to the USB drive. (Software is represented as 'year/month/day...version'.)"

4. jblank

jblank New Member

Yeah, I found out the info on the system updating, but I would still like some information and opinion regarding Trumotion.

5. guest

guest Active Member

6. jblank

jblank New Member

Yes, after 10 minutes it shuts off.

7. vestus

vestus New Member

I answered thes for jblank on the AVS forum, but figured I'd repost.

The light settings are available (from the home screen) by menu->system settings -> options.

8. jblank

jblank New Member

Can't find out how to force the logo to stay on though. Do you know how to do that?

9. vestus

vestus New Member

It looks like you're out of luck. It's either '10 minutes' or 'off'.

For the firmware info, go to 'About'.

10. jblank

jblank New Member

Anyone know how to turn off Trumotion on Netflix content? Also, it seems to lock Dynamic Contrast on also and I can't figure out how to make it use my customized picture settings when I am on Netflix. It is almost like the Netflix app turns on EVERYTHING.

11. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

Lg employs two types of Trumotion...

1) backlight scanning - All of LG's TV's that are 120Hz and above) employ backlight scanning. you take a 60Hz panel and flicker the backlight on and off between frames and this will achieve 120Hz.
    2) MEMC - Motion Estimation Motion Composation - this technology will create a frame and insert it between frames.

so which tech does your TV have?
    the easiest way to tell is to ask your self "Is there a Trumotion toggle in the picture menu of the TV?"
    If that option is not in the picture menu, then your TV employs only backlight scanning and you can not "turn off" trumotion. If Trumotion is in the menu, then the TV will employ MEMC (and in some cases the TV can employ MEMC and Backlight scanning)

12. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

the 6400 and 6400 are identical, except the 6450 gets a $50 Google Play credit

13. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

also, no one can tell you what picture settings are best for your TV as those setting depend on the environment that the TV is in...

if your TV is in a room with lots of light then the brightness and contrast would be diff than my house...or if the room the TV is in has a green light you need to adjust the colors to compensate....

go buy a calibration Blu-ray .... Disney's World of Wonder, for example

14. jblank

jblank New Member

Guys, I'm just trying to find out about Netflix, ok? Can you turn off Trumotion and Dynamic Lighting once Netflix launches. I was only asking about calibration settings to compare them to what I was using.

15. jblank

jblank New Member

Come on!!!!! Anybody?

16. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

i just tried on my GA6400 and i was not able to make picture adjustments while i had the Netflix app open.

first i went into my picture settings to see what they were currently set to...(both options you are inquiring about were turned on in some fashion)...i then opened netflix and started playing a movie...i then hit the home button so that i could go back to the home screen and access the picture settings...when i attempted to select "Picture adjustment" i got a message saying something like this adjustment can only be made in Live TV or Video Jack connection....

essentially, the picture adjustment options will only work on 'inputs' (Coax, HDMI, Composite, Component, etc...) and will not work (cannot be changed) when watching Netflix.

also fyi, its Dynamic Contrast not Dynamic Lighting

17. Peteo

Peteo Member

This also happens to me in the amazon prime app. very annoying

18. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

this is probably a result of the platform design. everything on the TV is essentially an App. so just like on your phone (i think) you can not adjust your picture settings for each individual app. so i guess the picture settings can only be adjusted when you're watching something on an actual 'input'