Quantcast

New Navi X Little Black Box coming June 2013

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Greenenergyassessors, May 14, 2013.

1. Greenenergyassessors

Greenenergyassessors New Member

I just love the look of this.

Navi-X hardware

The Little Black Box

*Full 1080p*Ethernet & Wi-Fi*Over 500k Films*All The Sports Channels*3pm Kick Offs*1000's Of TV Shows*Dedicated Kids Section*Adult Movies

I might just get this just to see how good the competition is. Cost is 100 Euros. :D

• Like Like x 2
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Do you know if the Chrome browser can be installed on this?

3. Greenenergyassessors

I don't know, I wish I did. I've tried to do a bit of research on it but no luck so far!

4. Greenenergyassessors

I've briefly spoke to the owner who told me that he intends to sell the box via all the redbrick routes such as Amazon etc. He asked if there are any questions can they be sent to

admin@thelittleblackbox.co.uk where he said he'll reply asap to any questions.

Catfish, he said that short term Google Chrome browser couldn't be added short term but medium term it probably could be.

The facebook page apparently gives more information again about the set up, and the launch in 3 weeks time.

5. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

It's always great to have variety and other options. I never could get their Google TV app to work, hopefully they do a better job on their dedicated set top box.

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It is not always great to have more options and more options, all that means is none of them will ever be any good. The only way a product like this can succeed to meet both consumers and manufacturers goals are if the market can be big enough. Imagine if when TV was launched, there were dozens of different incompatible TV set types and services and not all manufacturers competing to build the best TV for a single TV transmission type. Imagine if compact disc had several dozen incompatible digital music disc formats competing instead of all manufacturers building the best CD players and music companies releasing the best CDs. Same thing for DVD and PCs. TV, CD, PCs and DVD ended up in virtually every household in modern countries because consumers could buy with confidence, knowing the product had succeeded and would be around for the long haul.

With the several dozen platforms already in existence, consumers can't buy any of them with confidence the product will be supported next year, much less many years from now. Adding another into the mix sure doesn't help, consumers will just wait on the sidelines. Google TV comes closest to the kind of competition I want, with major consumer electronics companies competing to build the best Google TV boxes. Smart phones and tablets essentially have two competing platforms, Apple and Android, consumers can buy either with confidence the products will continue to work for years and when they upgrade, an improved version of what they have been using will be available, not something as different as night and day.

The Navi-X box will start with no browser and is of no interest to me, it will be another tiny niche box at best and supported for a brief period about like the Boxee that was released a few years ago. I can see no way this is the type of competition I want, we have had several years of this type of competition and nothing except Apple TV and Roku have gained any traction and neither of those have done much.

I use Google TV and Roku and I am happy with that combination but I wish Google TV could swallow Roku and one box do everything both do and I sure won't buy one of those other tiny niche products hoping it will evolve to meet my needs. Consumers will wait on the sidelines for something to happen that can make one or two product types big, hopefully with all major manufacturing companies competing, just like what happened with TV, CD, DVD, PC, smart phones, and tablets. The video gaming console market can sustain two or three different platforms for hardware and a few dozen software companies competing to make the best games for those consoles, and internet TV might be able to adequately support three different platforms. If all of the others go away and consumers starting buying Apple TV, Roku and Google TV in numbers large enough to justify investment, who knows how much better those three could become but with Google TV welcoming all of the big manufacturers into the competition, I know which platform I think can do best.

All this mess with so many different internet TV boxes has done so far is create consumer confusion and reluctance to get involved, nothing much is going to happen until that stops.

• Like Like x 2
  7. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

@ChrisG8 , of coarse you are entitled to your opinion, my stance is that more the merrier and one of them will, may be, think outside the box (pun not indented) and create a product that is outstanding. Let's face it, Google has done an absolutely terrible job at marketing Google TV to the extent that it's almost a secret. Roku has done an outstanding job of marketing their product and is doing very well in the market space. If nothing new comes around then these companies tend to sit on their laurels and not move forward. Boxee was too little, too late and too expensive so they didn't even get out the gate. Popcorn Hour was excellent for the high-end home theater consumers. I don't believe Navi-X has created a new platform/OS for their box, I would imagine that Android will be the underlying OS for their box, so it will be on how they present their version of a set-top box. So bring it on, I say, and may the best set-top box win.

• Like Like x 2
  8. iRoNBiLL

iRoNBiLL New Member

Hey folks,

Just to chime in on the subject, I can tell you that The Little Black Box will be able to play well with XBMC and Navi-X and that we have some special things planned for those who buy a box. I'm not able to discuss more about it yet, but when it's all in place I can talk on it then. There are ways to make Navi-X work better and we are looking at implementing these fixes for people who get a box is what I can say. There will be a clean up of broken sources as we look for new sources to bring in, but only time will tell how well it all goes.

Remember, Navi-X is an open source app and people can contribute at any time by helping to aggregate new streaming sources into Navi-X. If people create scrapers and processors for sites with excellent bandwidth, then it balances the overall distribution of bandwidth when streaming and will eventually alleviate streaming issues. This is really the best way to improve service on Navi-X so if you all know of any one who can write straight expressions for perl, php or asp.net, ask if they would be willing to make a scraper for a site for Navi-X. We need all the help we can get in this arena.

On that note, the specs on the device are set to get updated here soon, so when I get the final specs, I will let you all know what they are. Thanks!

Regards,

Bill Daly

a.k.a. iRoNBiLL
    Project Coordinator
    Team Navi-X

• Like Like x 2
  9. Greenenergyassessors

Bill

Really looking forward to seeing this the final specs. I think this could be great

Chris

10. iRoNBiLL

iRoNBiLL New Member

Here are the updated specs... I've been told it's similar to xios but better. I'm no hardware expert but I can tell you this box has been fully spec'd with Navi-X in mind and tested out for a long time by the hardware developer of the Little Black Box. You can rest assured there will be some advantages presented on this platform that will not be present on the regular version of Navi-X. I've been told some lovely "tweaks" have been planned accordingly. Stay tuned! :D

iRoNBiLL

Weight0.5 kg
    Dimensions10 x 10 x 10 cm
    Weight0.50 kg
    Size10 x 10 x 3 cm
    Chipset FamilyARM Cortex A9
    Chipset ModelAmlogic 8726-M3
    Chipset GPUMali400
    Internal Memory (RAM)1GB
    Internal Memory (Flash)4GB
    USB1 Port
    LAN10/100 MBit
    WIFIa/b/g/n
    Video OutputHDMI
    Audio OutputHDMI
    Maximum Resolution1080p [Full HD]

11. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

If this little black box had HDMI In/Out and a web browser, it would stand a greater chance of early success ... Play the game to win, come with your "A" game baby or don't play the game at all, yeah ....!

12. CatfishRivers

• Like Like x 2
  13. iRoNBiLL

iRoNBiLL New Member

HDMI out is there, just not HDMI in. That would cost more money... no matter what box you bought. For the money and it's primary function, this is as good as it gets!
    You can even setup the box yourself to also run Linux or Android with XBMC on that instead of the custom XBMC bootloader, which comes with plenty of browser support so I'm not quite understanding what you mean by A game...

I come with an A+ game plan myself! ;) Maybe you just forgot you can do whatever you want with an open box.

Better luck next time my friend! :)
    Let's ask the important questions and not focus on what we "think" the Little Black Box is please. Thanks!

iRoNBiLL

14. iRoNBiLL

iRoNBiLL New Member

Well... seeing as how this product is a dual core chipset and ours is a quad core chipset, I would respectfully have to disagree with you. :D

Ask and ye shall receive the good word.

iRoNBiLL

15. CatfishRivers

No.... Ask and you shall receive misinformation from IronBill.

On the chart that IronBill posted on this thread for the hardware specs of the Navi X Little Black Box it lists the processor as a AmLogic 8726-M3. This is a SINGLE-CORE processor. (See link below for discussion of AmLogic 8726-M3 processor):

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/32431-a-little-help-amlogic-processors-can-someone-fill-me-in/

Also the Navi X box has 4GB of memory and only 1 USB port - while the G-Box Midnight MX2 box comes with 8GB of memory and 4 USB ports.

Also the G-Box Midnight MX2 comes with SDIF Digital Audio Output while this feature is not listed for the Navi X box. And the G-Box Midnight MX2 has the dual-core Amlogic 8726-M6 processor.

In addition to all of the better hardware - the G-Box Midnight MX2 comes with Android 4.2 so user can run android apps, Chrome browser etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Note: The quad-core AmLogic processor is model# 8726-M8 (see link below):

http://liliputing.com/2013/04/amlogic-aml827-m8-quad-core-processor-coming-this-summer.html

AmLogic 8726-M3 = single core
    AmLogic 8726-M6 = dual core
    Amlogic 8726-M8 = quad core

Last edited: May 21, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  16. iRoNBiLL

iRoNBiLL New Member

Well... seeing as your intent is to insult rather than educate, I'm going to discontinue visiting the forum. What was communicated to me and what is currently posted are two different things but since you'd rather crucify what's on a piece of paper, I'll leave you alone now.

Thanks for being a dick rather than asking intelligent questions. :D

iRoNBiLL

17. CatfishRivers

Wasn't trying to "insult" at all. I was merely stating accurate facts in that you posted (on an official looking spec chart) the Navi-X box contains the AmLogic 8726-M3 processor. Did you or did you not post that? I then accurately stated that the AmLogic 8726-M3 processor is a single core processor. (I gave supporting evidence with links).

This certainly seems like an intelligent question/concern for anybody considering buying the Navi-X box. No?

* Plus the other hardware differences that I mentioned concerning the number of USB ports, amount of memory, and SDIF digital audio output were 100% accurate. Do you dispute any of it?

Instead of trying to clarify the matter and/or explain your mistake - you insulted me by calling me a "dick" and took your ball and ran home -;) Very professional........

Last edited: May 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 4