Quantcast

New Member with Setup Question

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by n99hockey, Jul 19, 2013.

1. n99hockey

n99hockey New Member

Hi, my name is Scott and joined up to ask you guys a question about something my company wants to do.

We want to set up a video conference system on the cheap, since we are a pretty small operation. My thought was to get a 55" TV, and some Google TV box or Android Stick and a web cam and use Google Hangout since we are Google Apps for Business users. However, I am running in to a road block with the webcam part. I don't see Android or Google TV webcams outside of the Logitech Revue one.

Is what I am trying to do possible, or do I just bow out and get a Smart TV with a cam built in and use Skype?

Thanks!

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It is possible but so far, I don't believe a webcam will work with Google TV. The Revue webcam service has been discontinued so that isn't even a possibility. It may be with the upcoming update to Android 4.2.2 we will see webcams that will work with Google TV but I don't think anybody knows that yet. As far as other Android devices working for video conferencing, I do think that exists now but I don't know anything about the options.

• Like Like x 2
  3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The GTV OS doesn't currently support webcams.

GTV does support IP cameras through apps. (An IP camera is generally used for surveillance/monitoring).

• Like Like x 2
  4. CatfishRivers

As for as alternatives you could use the Logitech HD TV Cam for Skype. It's a stand-alone dedicated HD camera that connects directly to your HD TV:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/off-topic-discussion/5761-logitech-introduce-skype-tv-cam-hd.html

I just checked and Amazon is selling the Logitech HD TV Cam for Skype at $176.73.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-960-000921-Skype-Calls-HDTVs/dp/B009Z7KMUM

Also you can get a Chromebook for between $200 - $250 - and they come with a webcam and support Google hangouts. The Chromebooks don't support Skype though.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  5. n99hockey

n99hockey New Member

Thanks for the suggestion guys!

Chromebook eh? Hadn't thought about that one, and hook that up to the TV. The end goal is to get it on a large TV for our conference room, after I saw from you guys it wasn't possible, I thought to just use an old laptop, get an S-Video Out to HMDI cable and do it that way through a browser. But this might give me an excuse to buy a Chromebook!

6. CatfishRivers

I haven't tried a Chromebook yet - but the Samsung ARM Chromebook has been the number 1 selling laptop on Amazon for quite a while. So they must be doing something right.

I came across another dedicated TV camera device called the Biscotti TV Phone. (It's similar to the Logitech HD TV Cam for Skype - except the Biscotti TV Phone works with Google Talk instead of Skype). Amazon has it now from a third party seller for $91.59. So it's about half the price of the Logitech product. The Biscotti TV phone isn't rated quite as high as the Logitech TV cam on the Amazon customer reviews. Although there are only 12 reviews for the Biscotti TV Phone:

Amazon.com: Biscotti Video Conferencing Camera: Electronics

A while back I had made a thread about the Biscotti TV phone:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...-phone-google-video-chat-goes-big-screen.html

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 2