Quantcast

New Media Player Will Not Play Files the Old one Played

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by TomTheMan, Nov 2, 2011.

1. TomTheMan

TomTheMan New Member

Just updated to Honeycomb. I think the interface is ok, but files I have on a ext hd that used to play fine now say, "unsupported or corrupt". I did not expect the player to become worse. Oh well, I guess I have to convert 1 tb of movies and tv to what ever format they want. (sigh)

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Very curious indeed! Do you have the ability to identify the video and audio streams within the multimedia container of the files which appear "unsupported or corrupt"? There's a tool that you can download for your computer called, "Media Info" which can help you identify the contents.

3. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

That's very odd for me the new media player is playing files the old one wouldn't.. What kind of container is it and what codec was the video encoded in.?

4. carrodriguez0

carrodriguez0 New Member

I am having the same problem as well. I played movies before and after the recent update on my sony google tv and most of them still work. However my anime episodes will not play anymore....all i get is "content is corrupted or unsupported".....and i know for sure my episodes are not corrupted. Its a frustrating issue especially since my movies and anime both have divx video coding and have the .avi file extension yet the movies play and the anime does not. This update feels like a downgrade as far as video playback (the media player) is concerned. Guess i gotta learn the new supported format to which i will have to convert my episodes. What a gut wrenching disappointment.

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Exactly which DIVX format; is it the MPEG4-SP or MPEG4-ASP? If you can do us a favor, download and install MediaInfo. This tool will allow you see what codec of the audio and video streams contained in your AVI file container. Once you have it installed you can right-click on one of your video files then select "Media Info" this will bring up the application. Go into Media Info command bar select View > Text. Highlight the entire context then copy and paste it here.

Also, are you playing it with a USB drive or are you streaming over the network from a DLNA server? And if you are using a DLNA server, does it support transcoding and have a specific profile for Google TV? And have you tried playing the file locally?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  6. les anderson

les anderson New Member

Same problem here via DLNA. Most stuff is showing corrupted or unsupported that played before. I have a DLink dns-320 NAS.

Does anyone know if I can access this info in a manner other than DLNA? I am tempted to throw the whole thing out the window and use a thumb drive at this point.

7. TomTheMan

TomTheMan New Member

I have the Sony bluray box, with a 1 tb USB ext drive. Format fat32. All video files are .avi using the divx 4.0 codec. The former media player would play the files. (I know it's not a supported format). I'm thinking of converting all to xvid, I have a couple files in this codec that appear to work. Conversion program suggestions anyone???

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I've used Format Factory (free) and AVS Video Converter (nagware). I originally used Format Factory to convert the bulk of my library, but after using AVS that's my preference.

9. RegBarc

RegBarc New Member

What's the alternative media player on the market right now? Will it at least play a few more types of tiles, or are we SOL for now?

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The ones that are usable rely on the inherit format support of Google TV 2.0. Google TV does not support code from the Native Development Kit (NDK). Therefore, the libavformat and libavcodec libraries from FFMPEG, which many Android developers used in the past for their phone/tablet media player(s), will no longer offer expanded support.

11. RegBarc

RegBarc New Member

What is the safest format for use on our home media storage?

12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

What kind of device; NAS, Win PC, Mac, Linux, USB drive? and what's available options? I personally prefer ZFS but that's not available on all systems/devices.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  13. RegBarc

RegBarc New Member

MediaSmart EX495 connected via Cat5e.

As far as available options, hell, I'd appreciate any format that works reliably.

14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I don't think you have any choice. It looks like that Network Attached Storage system uses Microsoft Home Server software, so that probably means you're stuck with NTFS. The server doesn't even support RAID, so that's pretty scary for a multi-bay NAS. At least you concatenate drives but that's pretty scary in itself.

Personally, I wouldn't have bought that device. Probably would have gone with another QNAP NAS or Netgear ReadyNAS instead.

15. RegBarc

RegBarc New Member

To be frank, I am not that deep into it. Everything on it is backed up offsite anyway. This excists mostly to store stuff, and it was pretty cheap when all was said and done.

16. daddypants

daddypants New Member

i have aVia media player and Plex. the aVia one is a much better free dlna media player then the default one (more reliable and quicker, plays same file types i think). Plex costs a few bucks in the android store but its very worth it. it plays more file types since it transcodes, and its set up to grab movie posters and get info for your shows too. it really makes the media library look awesome. its more involved to set up (avia is easier, plex is much nicer) but for what it does i think its definitely worth it. both of these apps let you pick and choose from all the media servers on your network and make playlists as you watch. thats been really convenient.

17. TomTheMan

TomTheMan New Member

The only player available for an external drive is called aVia. It plays some files, but wont list every file on the drive. Some of the files it finds do not play. Not a solution, but you can try it.

I have not tried Plex, but I will check it out.

Anyone know if Plex will read DIVX files???

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  18. George

George New Member

What I would like to see is the box read my Windows shares and play the AVI/mkv/iso files I have on my pc.

I have a device from briteview that I love, I set the directories as window shares and thats all I have to do.. IT plays everything I have thrown at it beside flv files so far. I run Tversity just for the google box an tv.. I can see someone writing somethng like this sometime soon - I HOPE..

on a positive note - I LOVE how it intergrates with DISH for watching tv.. last night I choose movies, it let me choose between netflix for one I wanted, and then it told me it starts on dish in like 2 minutes.. Great for surfing...

I also noticed 3d settings in the setup menu.. I don't have a 3d tv to test it though.

19. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Plex requires that you run Plex Media Server on your computer and will try to transcode the incompatible formats for you. So, if you install the server component on your computer that can play the divx files then should be able to play them through Plex Media Server with Plex for Android.

The AVI and MKV media containers you mentioned are fully supported by Google TV and have been since release. If you can't play those certain files, it is probably the audio or video streams encapsulated inside which are incompatible.

As for the ISO format, that's a pretty tall request since ISO is actually a disc archive format. It can contain many types of files, directories, and filesystems. There are media players for other platforms which can specifically play DVD or Blu-Ray ISOs, but trying to support the myriad of content possible within ISO files is really outside the scope of a traditional media player.

Don't expect too much outside of the formats natively supported by Google TV. This is because Google has decided to not support the Native Development Kit (NDK) for Google TV. Therefore, the libavformat and libavcodec libraries from FFMPEG, which many Android developers used in the past for their phone/tablet media player(s), will no longer offer expanded support.

If you're interested in streaming from SMB or Windows share, File Expert already allows you to do that with the currently supported formats.

20. G37x

G37x New Member

Same problem here. I find google retard really. I mean yes the new OS is nicer but functionality?? Worse? It would play xvid but not divx. I'm not going to reconv all my movies because of stupid google. also that avia is at best garbage, it will not do more and very often is busy crashing..SHAME ON YOU GOOGLE!