Quantcast

New Logitech Revue user

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by callanish, Nov 12, 2011.

1. callanish

callanish Member

Hi, a new Revue user here ( cost $69 after a $25 amazon gift card and $5 off when it was on sale at $93; how could I resist ). Trying to get a feel for Google TV and what potential the android market could do for it ( Assuming revue owners ever get the update ). I've been reading about various side loading projects with apps that work with GoogleTV and I'm trying to see if down the road certain things will be possible. For example, I've noticed the skyfire browser being talked about over at the unlockr website.

As nice as Chrome is, I'm wondering if an alternative browser can work as well as Chrome. My personal experience is that with the current 2.1 O.S on the Revue, the more 'picture' bookmarks that are added, the slower Chrome becomes and with no ability to add extensions, its kind of limited. I would just like a way to access bookmarks from a list on a toolbar that is more like what I'm used to on a P.C. Skyfire or Dolphin HD seems like it could make this possible if they can work within the GoogleTV platform.

Second thing that I'm hoping can be ported over is a VPN app that would also work within GoogleTV. If apps like 1 VPN work for Android phones / tablets, how difficult of a process would that be to make it work under Google TV? Is that something that would be a major undertaking for a developer to do or is it something that could be accomplished given some time and ingenuity?

Last thing is the slingplayer app for Google TV that was in demo a while back. Do you think Sling is still on board with releasing this or after Adobe's move to abandon Flash, do you think the sling app for Google TV will never see the light of day. Just seems it should have came out by now when the android market was released and frankly we're still waiting.

Thanks for any replies.

LTM

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board!

Somewhere in this forum, I noted my results after side loading four different web browser, three didn't work off the bat and the one that did was a mobile browser. All of them ended up being uninstalled. So, yes there's a possibility but nobody but no particular browser has been found as a better replacement yet.

I don't see how that would be a problem.

Unfortunately, I'm under NDA for Slingplayer for Google TV. So, the best I can do for you is direct you to the public sign ups page: Slingbox.com - SlingPlayer for Connected Devices Sign Up Page

3. callanish

callanish Member

Thanks for the welcome and for answering my questions. Plenty of heads low right now with how Logitech is handling the Revue's fallout after the product being abandoned, but I'm personally optimistic that if we do get the honeycomb upgrade, the revue will find a new lease on life, and with the android market; it'll open the door to new possibilities.

Already signed up on Sling's signup page a while back and added the revue because I knew at some point I was going to buy it, but never heard anything from Slingmedia about beta testing. Since you can't personally reveal anything about the current app status, I'll just say that it would be a welcome addition for me as I'm putting all my big TV viewing responsibility on one slingcatcher and crossing my fingers that it doesn't fail as I've owned it for a while.

Regards
    LTM