Quantcast

NEW: Logitech Revue Update

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Rickaren, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

November 29, 2010

Here is a look at the upcoming Logitech Revue GoogleTV Software Update, complete with a MUCH improved NETFLIX app!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  2. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

That's the same as the PS3 interface...good to see it will be updateing. Any idea when its going live? And when the Sony TV will be getting it?

3. Rickaren

Could be any day now and more good news is that there will be another update in January. Also read HBOGO will be available for us with DISH (if you are a paid HBO customer) as soon as tomorrow. Things are looking up for us "early adapters"! Really wish they would address the sound issues in one of these updates, but may be too soon for that.

4. JimMariner

JimMariner Member

This is excellent news, I hate the original Netflix interface. I look forward to future OS enhancements too. I still wish they would get Hulu+ at the least.

5. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Since I am new to Netflix, I will have to see what is really different?
    From what I saw, it looked the same on my Revue.

6. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

I've really been enjoying HULU+ on the Roku...catching up on a bunch of britcoms. HD looks great, and even std def looks fine...MUCH better than the Play-On workaround. I also love the fact I can quit/restart HULU+ at any time. Choice is GOOOOOOD! :D GTV should get it...if Google breaks down and realises it may need to purchase content for GTV.

7. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

I just noticed it's different (Netflix app) that the Roku version. Roku's has 4-5 rows in view, and they scroll horizontally, and vertically to select even more rows offscreen. Is this PS3/GTV version like that?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  8. Rickaren

9. pcandroid

pcandroid New Member

Finally, I hate the netflix app on the revue. Glad to see new things coming. Now if we could get the networks on board life would be grand.

10. Hefe

Hefe New Member

Is the new Netflix entirely self contained? What I want is to see Netflix results for a show when searching from the main search tool in GTV. It's nice to have a better app, but it doesn't excite me if it's not integrated into the GTV experience.

11. MysticalTux

MysticalTux New Member

Hey SparkyScott21,

Could you please check the Build Number on your Revue. I'm just wondering if the build number changed with the Netflix update.

Settings>>About>>Scroll Down

Last build ended with b39953.

Thank you so much.

12. sparkyscott21

I have the same as you... Same build...
    My firmware is 2.1 update 1

13. MysticalTux

MysticalTux New Member

Thanks for your reply. So, I guess it was a silent update just for Netflix app since a lot of people were complaining about it.

Thanks again,

14. Rickaren

December 6th, 2010

Reference To This Link: Netflix Leverages HTML5-based Web Apps for PS3 and Google TV | eHomeUpgrade

15. sparkyscott21

16. pcandroid

pcandroid New Member

Anyone heard anymore on when this might showing up?

17. hamsteak

hamsteak New Member

The update is rolling out now. Got mine this morning. They also added the ability to move/resize the dual view window (didn't get a chance to try this out yet)

18. Rickaren

First Major Google TV Update Rolls Out:

12/15/2010

Google TV launched to a storm of piss-poor reviews and first impressions. It feels like a beta product and not something ready for living rooms. But that’s Google’s way. Two months have passed since the Logitech Revue and Sony Internet TV line launched and Google just rolled out the first major software update that at least seems to address some of the early concerns while bringing some new features to the platform like searching by voice. Content discovery is one of Google TV’s strong points, but while the system can find just about any TV show online, big media blocked access. The updated Netflix app nearly solves this little problem by allowing access to the entire Netflix library. Now you can search, browse, and watch any of the shows in Netflix’s catalog without interaction from a PC. You can even select titles to be snail-mailed to you.

Dual-view was one of our favorite launch features. It’s basically PIP, but where one of the pictures is an internet browser. The new mode allows users to change the size and move around the smaller window. Yeah, Google TV finally has the same capability as your ’90s era Sony Trinitron. Google TV Search is by far the most powerful TV content discovery tool available right. Google has done the same thing with movies too. Think IMDB. Search for a movie, and it will display the movie results while allowing you to navigate to the actor’s profiles and previous roles. The results even included other films associated with the original searched item and where they’re available to be watched being live TV, Netflix, or Amazon.
    The Logitech Revue launched with an Android app that offers basic controls over the Revue’s functions. Now Google has one of their own that includes voice search. The demo below shows off the interface that at least makes it look better than the Logitech version. “Stay tuned for more information about the Google TV Remote for other platforms in the near future.” So yeah, that means an iPhone apps is coming too.
    Expect this update to roll out to current devices throughout the week. Our testers have yet to receive the update, but I can’t wait. Hopefully there are some under-the-hood changes not mentioned that smooths out the rough interface a bit.

Your Android phone or iPhone can be used to control your Google TV in place of a remote control. Use your voice to search, and even use multiple phones to control the same TV. No more fighting over the remote!

Article Link: First Major Google TV Update Rolls Out: Updated Netflix App, Customizable Dual View, And Voice Searches

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  19. st0650

st0650 New Member

With the new update now you can search for a movie and it will bring up if it is available on netflix or amazon. Also, I read that the update will come no later than Friday for consumers using the Revue.