Quantcast

New Icon for Bookmarks on the Homepage?

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by chopper, Feb 17, 2012.

1. chopper

chopper Active Member

Is it possible to change the icon to an image of my choosing for bookmark on the homepage? I now have 3 bookmarks on the homebutton launcher and they all look the same which is boring to look at.

2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Chopper

I'm now of the belief that it is not possible. I think the limitations of the Homepage (If my early impressions are correct) might be intentional. If you will recall, the main problem w/MSNTV 2 was the way the Homepage was designed.

While MSN overloaded the Homepage w/Icons, News, and Weather banners, we had no choice in either content or Favs for the page. I don't think Google and Logitech were unaware of the catastrophic effects of an overloaded homepage on small client devices.

Most of the low bandwidth users would be in trouble shortly after a Restart. Their cache would begin to fill just loading the homepage. As inevitable happened for everyone on TNB.

So Apps like Launchers were anticipated. The complaints I hear about Launcher Pro and the few others are never accompanied w/Broadband speeds. It seems everyone is assuming that most problems are shared by everyone. But Bandwidth problems are regional based on Broadband infrastructure and the availability of ISPs. In my apartment complex, we only have Cox or Verizon DSL which is under 1MB.

I tried hard while on MSNTV 2 to find workarounds for Google Videos and You Tube. But folks would post that my attempts failed. But later I would find these same folks complaining about low speeds because they lived in alien terrain.

You sound like you have a very reliable ISP. I think a launcher is more to your advantage, esp, since you have a working knowledge of what is buggy and what is caused by your ISP.

I ain't selling it, but I swear by Launcher Pro. I can only get the free version as the paid is incompatible. A shame really. I'd gladly pay. And I notice I have the least problems w/Netflix and other Apps.

My speed on average is only 12 Mbs down & 6 up. I have Cox Cable in Norfolk Va. Before I post or report any complaint I always do a reliable speed test. A free site that I trust.

I'm hoping that we could start a trend before posting help. Simply ask folks to post their latest speed test. Trouble shooting even in help groups MUST start from the simplest to the more complex.

Ha! I know this doesn't answer your question, but it 's something as a newbie I've notice and puzzled over.

Carl

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  3. chopper

chopper Active Member

I have a 5mb/s down speed and even this is a bit slow for some video buffering yet I am very pleased with Netflix as I start a movie pause it for a bit and get some munchies before I hit play again. One of these days I'm gonna spring for the 30mb/s upload speed that is available in my area.

Now back to my original question. When I bookmark a web page and add it to my homepage I usually get an icon that looks like a bookmark. What I would like to know is is there a way to get customized bookmarks? I want this for bookmarked web sites that I save mayself but also would like the code to do this on a web page I am buildiing for GTV.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  4. EmeraldSkylark

EmeraldSkylark New Member

Although all my bookmarks are set to always open in a new tab (and they do), when I have a series of tabs and click the home page bookmark icon, that page open in whichever tab is presently opened instead of opening in a new tab.

downloadsversion.com/search/pdf-converter

5. chopper

chopper Active Member

What I want to be able to do is take an image an use it as the pic that shows up on the home screen laubcher ie change a pic for a bookmarked web site.