Quantcast

New guy

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by octechx, Mar 31, 2015.

1. octechx

octechx New Member

Hey guys just wanted to introduce myself. I'm new to the site. I have a lg 47ga6400 android tv. Sounded great when I purchased it. Too bad it comes with a toned down tv specific o/s. Lgs been saying they're going to update the os in the 3rd quarter. But that was 3 years ago. Lol anyways. I'm here for questions and support for google tv. Hope I'm in the write spot.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Yes, you are in the right spot, welcome. We do have some active members with LG Google TVs. The LG models have been updated to a much newer OS than most but I don't know if there will be any further updates.

3. ericd

ericd Active Member

When I purchased the set in June 2013, it was stated by LG the TV would be updated by the 3'rd quarter. My 6400 received the 4.2 Jellybean update October 25,2013. There was another minor (bug fix)update before Christmas but since then there hasn't been any further updates. In May 2014 LG removed the "check for updates" option from my TV. If your LG hasn't been updated to 4.2.2, I don't know how you can force the update.

If your already at 4.2, I think that's as far as your going to get. Google has moved on to Android TV and LG has moved to their own Web OS system.

Although the Playstore is somewhat locked out to the TV, I've had great success side-loading apps. With a handful of exceptions (Hulu +, TWC, and HBO go being the biggies) most apps that work on my Galaxy Tab II also work surprisingly well on the LG. I still haven't found a suitable work-around for the loss of Flash Player support when trying to stream from any browser.

Within the last year, I've added a Roku streaming stick and an Amazon Fire TV stick. These 2 do a great job of filling in the holes left by LG and Google's shortcomings (for less than $100)

4. octechx

octechx New Member

This is awesome news ericd, I'm actually unsure how to even check the android version on my lg but I'll look into it. The salesmen told me when I bought it that it would work just like a computer. I could even plug a mouse and keyboard into it. LOL that was a lie. My best success is using able remote to control the tv. Ericd could you explain side loading? Or maybe shoot me a link to a guide. The plan is to use my nfl mobile app on my tv. But it has to run locally all streaming has been disabled do to licensein issues. I've been following guides on xda and rededdit for ways to get the nfl app to run on Google tvs. But seems non of them work or even tested on the 6400 for that matter. It'd be great to intall the app directly on the tv. Though I'm not sure how viable that is. Thanks again ;P

5. ericd

ericd Active Member

First, to find if your TV's been updated, go to Home>Settings>Customer support... Android Version should be 4.2.2. If not, I'd return the TV (LG is no longer putting out updates and I don't know of a way to force the Jellbean update)

To sideload apps, you'll need another Android device that runs Android 4.2 and has access to the Playstore (or have the APK your wanting to sideload). There's a lot of different apps you can use to sideload but I prefer using Share Apps and Dropbox (mainly because they're easy for me to work and I can use Dropbox on all my Android devices as well as my PC).

To start, open a Dropbox account on your PC,then on your TV, go into your settings and click "Application" and put a checkmark by "Unknown sources". Next, open the Chrome browser on your TV to this page New guy Google TV - Android TV Forums

Once your here, just hit these links and they'll start installing the apps, when you have the Dropbox and Share Apps apps installed, you can start sideloading on your own (you'll need the apps on both devices to swap them back and forth)

Install this app first and set it to "landscape" (it's a real pain if an app throws off the TV's orientation) Dropbox - SetOrientation 1.1.4.apk

Dropbox Dropbox - Dropbox 2.3.11.4.apk

Share Apps Dropbox - ShareApps 1.9.8.apk

Here's the NFL mobile app to get you started. You'll have to go into settings< Date, time & location and turn on "Access to my location" for the video to play Dropbox - NFLMobile 11.6.0.apk

Let me know when you got the links so I can kill them, I don't usually leave them up too long, and if you need any other apps, I've got a pretty good amount already in my Dropbox

I have hooked an USB wireless keyboard/ mouse through the USB connection on the back of the TV but honestly, it's just easier to use the TV's own remote. It'll just take time to get used to the LG remotes button locations. At first it was maddening to have to flip the remote back and forth to enter text and use the mouse but after a while you get used to it

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Eric, I don't have an LG Google TV but if it doesn't have the update to 4.2.2, I would think it can just connect to the internet and update to 4.2.2. The ability to update was probably removed by the update, it shouldn't just disappear from a Google TV that hasn't been updated. If LG really did remove that ability from a Google TV that was never updated, shame on LG.

As far as using the remote or a full sized keyboard/mouse combo, some of us do better with the keyboard/mouse.

7. octechx

octechx New Member

This is awesome I can't wait to get home and try this. If you have a Dropbox referral ericd I'd be happy to use it. I think you get some gigs of space each time you get someone to sign up. Anyways I'll try it and post a video of my success or failure. Good looking out. Ps I only post on weekends from now on. Just too busy during the week.

8. ericd

ericd Active Member

I hear you, Chris. I'm 99% sure his LG has been updated to 4.2.2, but if it hasn't auto-updated, there's no way to manually check for or download the update yourself. Last year LG purposefully removed that option from the settings menu. Without the Jellybean update almost all the current Playstore streaming apps aren't going to work (even if you could side-load them)

Theire's so many TV specific buttons on the LG 6400 remote that even using what I thought was the top of the line wireless keyboards (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040QE97A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    and this one, which worked a lot better (but still couldn't do everyrhing the stock remote could) http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Multi-Touch-Touchpad/dp/B005DKZTMG/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1428157924&sr=1-5&keywords=wireless+keyboard+and+mouse)
    I always found myself having to search out the stock remote and over time, it just became easier to use the stock remote instead of fumbling around with one remote and a full size keyboard. If you plan to do a lot of web surfing with the TV and are having problems with the small size of the LG remotes keyboard, the Logitech keyboard will do best for you. Just be aware, you'll need to keep the standard TV remote handy for certain functions the larger keyboard can't do

9. ericd

ericd Active Member

No worries octechx, I have about 200 apps saved into my dropbox and haven't even scratched the surface of my free amount. If you prefer another storage app, that'll work too. I've just always found Dopbox works best for me because it's easy to use my laptop to manage my storage account and the share apps app already has a "save to dropbox" option available as one of the first choices.

The NFL mobile app actually works pretty good on the LG. I don't have a log-in for the NFL Network portion of the app so I'm not sure how well that'd stream for you but all the videos on the home page play pretty good with just a slight bit of stuttering

10. guest

guest Active Member

If all else fails, the Chromebit with its ChromeOS will be available in a few months time. He can just plug this HDMI stick into the TV. I imagine the ChromeOS will override whatever OS is currently installed on the TV.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. guest

guest Active Member

12. ericd

ericd Active Member

Honestly, (and not trying to start an argument) your post really has nothing to do with the thread at hand. It's not like this board is getting slammed with new threads everyday. I'm sure the OP can see the thread you linked and there's not much danger of it getting pushed off the front page. The guy was asking for assistance now, not months down the road.

I realize your not affilliated with Chromebit, so I'm not by any means suggesting your spamming the board but until I see some more concrete info on the Google OS stick, it's kind of hard to get too excited about another Chromebox (allbeit on a stick this time).

Hopefully there's no hard feelings and you don't see my negative rating as a personnal attack. In time and with more info, I may consider the new stick but it'll take a bit more than an initial announcement from Google to get me excited. Google's had too much vaporware and poorly executed releases for me to get overly excited.

13. octechx

octechx New Member

Ok so it is in fact 4.2.2 Eric you can take your link down. I got it. Going to try to side load today and see how it goes.. BTW have you had any trouble streaming using the lg smart share application? Seems like my videos time out half way through the video. I'm hardwired and I have no packet loss.. I'm lost for words, have you tried this and if so what's your experience.

14. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Why should he take his links down? Other people read these threads and they might find his links useful.

15. octechx

octechx New Member

Big thanks to everyone!

@catfish if you read his post he says to let him know when I got it so he can take itdown.So I was just letting him know.

Also I got the app running with a few issues
    1.) The video stream is very choppy, especially when there a lot of action.in going to do some messing around with my router to try and see if maybe I need to open more ports. if anybody has any other suggestions let me know.
    2.)secondly because of the Verizon NFL deal I'm only allowed to watch tears that areavailable based on my location services. does anybody know a good location faker for LG TVs?
    This may not seem like a big deal but verizon has taken extreme steps to ensure people cannot stream to anything except your Verizon phone. Reddit and xda both do not have a workaround as far as I know this is the first viable workaround online. Thanks a ton guys hoping to have friends over to watch games next season at my house and now I can for no extra charge :)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  16. ericd

ericd Active Member

That's just me, probably being a little over-paranoid but I don't like too many open links floating around. I usually set them to expire after a couple days. I still remember when GTV Friends had all their dropbox links wiped by somebody just for spite.

I usually only stream music through Smart Share, and then only on occasion. If I really want to watch a video off my computer, I use Splashtop.or Plex

Glad to hear you found the APK, be careful though, a lot of the sites that post APK,s online are pretty shady. A good place to find Apk files is over on Israel's Google + page GOOGLE ANDROID NEXUS TV XBMC CHROMECAST - Community - Google

Some apps seem to work better at streaming for me on the TV, the NFL app seemed to play a tad better for me than what it showed on your YT video. When you run the Network diagnostic tool (under settings> Network> Network diagnostic tool) what kind of DL speed are you getting. I usually run about 15-16 Mbs, Ping time .20-25 ms on Wifi. If it's slower, I usually power cycle the TV first, then the router and modem That usually gets it back up. Since your hardwired, I'm not sure if that'll help you much.

TWC isn't an available provider on the app so I can't see if simply changing the zip code under Settings> Date, time and location will open up the app. That's one of the few apps I've seen that require location be turned on to work

17. octechx

octechx New Member

It's working but the video buffer is less than satisfying. It slows down then speeds up like it trying to catch up. I was excited. But after all the work it's not really viable.