Quantcast

New GTV YouTube App Update - Version 1.7.3

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Nov 28, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

There is a new GTV YouTube app update (version 1.7.3) available since November 21st. For those of you that have tried the new YouTube update on your GTV what are your thoughts about it?

At least one user in the Google+ GTV Community is very pleased with the new YouTube update (see link below):

https://plus.google.com/101919728428437233122/posts/8PfBjATTNdf

However I went over to the Google Play web site and computed the overall rating of the GTV YouTube app, based only on new ratings posted on or before November 21st.

Here are the results: 8 ratings and the overall average rating (since Nov. 21st) is only 2.25 stars out of a possible 5 stars.

The overall rating for ALL posted GTV YouTube app reviews is 2.5 stars. Thus compared to the rating of ALL posted reviews (2.5) - the ratings since the update on November 21st (2.25) don't seem to indicate improvement in the app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.youtube.googletv&hl=en

*Note: My Revue doesn't download app updates - so I can't comment on the app based on personal experience.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Until the Youtube app allows for an auto-play of 'Content not for TV' in Chrome, the ratings will probably remain low. The worst thing is to have a playlist stop or skip content that a few days ago worked. Almost all my Favorites in the app have content restricted. It looks like a blackout it is so dark in thar! I can understand 'Not available in your country' but 'Not available on TV' is so random. Most of my favorites were created in the app. So sometime between saving the video and revisiting the app it was decided that the content could no longer be viewed via TV.

Does some content provider have a GTV they use to keep track? Or is Google making the decision of what we can or cannot watch via TV which basically amounts to via the app.

Carl

3. Carlszone

It might be better even if the playlist stopped and offered a prompt like "would you like to play this content in Chrome?" Click the prompt and you are directed to the specific video in Chrome. Oh, but wait, Chrome might crash!

Aw Snaps!

Never mind...

Lol!

• Like Like x 2
  4. CatfishRivers

Carl just make sure that you're enrolled in the YouTube "Feather" beta and they should all play in Chrome without the Aw Snaps! -:)

5. Travel

Travel Active Member

The YouTube app has always worked fine for me, except for occasional, individual HD video buffering which kicks-off a resolution auto-downgrade for that one particular video. I'm sure now that it was caused by the content of individual videos and not the app. But, even that seems to have stopped some time ago, and all the videos I play are now okay.

For some reason it seems some people have problems with the app for whatever reason, and they'd tend to be the most "vocal" in the Play Store reviews, which would bring-down the ratings for the app. There have been recent posts on these forums from people who have problems with the YouTube app for no apparent reason. Usually problems with apps are of a common-to-all-nature, or easily fixed, but for some unknown reason the YouTube app acts-up for some people, but it works fine for most. So, I didn't have any app issues before the latest update, so I didn't notice any difference in the app's performance after the latest update.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am still a few upgrades behind, I like the version I am using and haven't decided whether to upgrade to this version. I don't play YouTube through the Chrome browser and I am not sure why anybody would. I check new from subscriptions, recommendations and once in a while use the search to find something, all of it works great for my needs and getting through all of that on a daily basis is about all of the time I want to spend with YouTube since I have a lot of subscriptions. I watch news, music, comedy bits and movies primarily. I don't recall the last time anything I have watched from the YouTube app crashed or didn't work as it should, I have several devices for YouTube but only use Google TV.

7. CatfishRivers

I think the proper way to phrase it would be (and I remember Eferz agreed about this) - if YouTube works properly with Chrome - than why in the world would anyone bother to use the app? I agree.

When I first bought my Revue several years ago - the YouTube web site worked great with the GTV Chrome browser. Oh those were the good old days...... -:)

8. Carlszone

Hi Catfish Rivers

I tried it. I hated feather Beta. I forget which, but some functions were lacking in that version. And when I go to my account on my PC it is even more limited. And I did get the Aw Snaps using Feather Beta. Hey, don't get me wrong. I want somebody to finally succeed at what GTV attempts to do. But Google's version is no less restrictive than MSN's failed attempt. And w/Microsoft I gotta give them a pass. They bought Webtv from the brilliant Steve Goldman & partners. And they did keep it going for quite a while.

But this is Google's legitimate child. And many years later when all the mistakes of the past attempts should have stood as road posts warning against the direction GTV was headed. Of course we love these devices. Many of us patiently endured Webtv for years even tho it was on dial up and could never quite live up to the Media Player side of its intended purpose.

I just hate to see folks once again waiting & hoping for a reviving of a product that for all intents & purposes was still-born from the outset. Having to use Feather Beta to view Youtube in Chrome to avoid the Aw Snaps bespeaks volumes about how miserably this product has failed as a Media Player.

Sorry, but this just can't be overlooked...

I still look for news articles that may point to Google changing direction. A convergence of Android and GTV in a significant way, sorta like what Travel hinted at in many of his posts. I like that idea altho I disagree that Google is taking a logical path to accomplish this in our lifetime.

Travel, this goes beyond mere apps. On any system users have a way to directly report and troubleshoot known issues. The user of these devices have no where to go to even know what the cause of any issue is. To whom & where does one report the 'Aw Snaps' issue? The individual box manufacturers know only about the box itself. They know nothing about any software issues user might encounter on websites.

Your knowledge of settop box specifics does nothing for new users who face these blatant discrepancies for the first time. Alone. A newbie doesn't care whether it is the fault of the app or not. They only care that there is no way for them to find out. Maybe we all assume that as soon as someone signs into their acct on a GTV device they will automatically find this group. If so then okay. But if not, then this debate is irrelevant. They will never hear it. Feather Beta? Aw Snaps? Chrome has Force Closed? Honestly, how will they know???

For these reasons GTV cannot succeed... Nor can the Youtube app ratings improve...

Take Care

Carl

9. Travel

Travel Active Member

I don't have any need to use the Chrome YouTube, either, the app's great. I liked the old app format version of the playlists, etc., but have gotten used to the new version where the channels' uploads are right above the horizontal channels list. It's convenient. I actually like it better now. If you took the updates you'd get that version I think, but there's probably no way of going back to the earlier version once updated.

10. CatfishRivers

I believe the current situation with the YouTube web site and GTV browser - is that Google changed the YouTube web site and some links on YouTube send out too many bytes of information to the browser - which triggers the Aw Snap! message. It's not a Flash issue because I tested the HTML5 beta on YouTube with my Revue and I still get the Aw Snap! errors. However the videos play with the Feather beta - which is a scaled down web page that sends less bytes of information to the browser.

So in summary the current GTV hardware doesn't have the resources to handle the full desktop YouTube site.

I believe with the Jellybean update the mobile version of the YouTube web site will work fine. However I have my doubts that changing the Chrome browser to desktop mode (on current GTV Jellybean devices) and viewing the YouTube web site through the HTML5 beta program - will eliminate the Aw Snap! errors that GTV users on Honeycomb OS encounter. It's still the same hardware.

If someone with the LG GTV Jellybean update wants to test this - let me know and I'll post a specific YouTube video that triggers the Aw Snap! message on my Logitech Revue - and then you can test the same YouTube video on your LG GTV.

11. Carlszone

Chris

I gotta say, the way you use GTV is definitely not the way younger folks use my unit when I hand them the keyboard. The average kids get a feel for the GS-7 immediately! It's frightening sometimes to see how fast they open & close apps. Jumping around the web as if the keyboard or remote was a part of their body performing as lightly as breathing. Every discrepancy becomes heightened as if it were a physical spasm. These are the real market movers of devices & TVs. And they are unforgiving even ruthless at showing their disdain for any product that hampers their innate ability to move around at will viewing & discarding youtube videos at liightening speed.

I finally understood why the remote keyboard is so popular w/today's techies. I could never type w/a full Querty KB as fast as the two fingered texter can manipulate the remote I find so awkward. Our limited use of and contentment w/these devices and apps simply does not reflect the users Google needs to impress to stay relevant in todays market. Apps must have a simplicity of access as well as the sophistication of a well thought out design that makes seamless the transition from app to webpage.

Windows users enjoy apps not because webpages don't work properly w/Internet Explorer, but because they streamline content or allow for a Metro-like function that the webpage may not allow for. Also, in Metro Silverlight and other media content may not be accessible. Hence Apps!

The fact that we could enjoy the Youtube web-site in Chrome and look back on it as 'the good old days,' ...well, what more need I say.

Deterioration by definintion is...

Thanks

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  12. ChrisG8

I can't think of anything I do with these streaming boxes where there is access through web browser or native app and I prefer the web browser, absolutely nothing. I accessed ESPN3 by web browser for years, Roku added a WatchESPN channel and I haven't accessed ESPN3 with a web browser since. Of course I can access Netflix, Vudu, YouTube, Amazon Instant Video, ESPN3, and so much more by web browser and also available by native apps and even the worst of the native apps beats the web browser version for me.

I do miss eferz, he was very helpful but I have no idea what he was talking about if he preferred GTV Chrome web browser for YouTube. I did usually agree with him however and often relied on him for technical explanations I couldn't begin to understand without his help. I don't recall ever seeing that comment but it wouldn't matter, that isn't how I would use YouTube.

13. CatfishRivers

Maybe the Roku WatchESPN is pretty good - I wouldn't know. I expect that it's is probably good. Roku works well.

However the WatchESPN android app is only rated 3.0 stars:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.WatchESPN&hl=en

And for now GTV Jellybean users are expected to sideload WatchESPN in order to utilize it. So I would expect that most likely on a sideloaded app not optimized for GTV the user experience would probably be less than 3.0 on GTV.

Many of the popular android apps aren't really rated very high. HBOGO is rated better than WatchESPN - but still it's only rated 3.7 stars. I recall reading that when the HBOGO web site used to work with GTV there weren't many complaints about it.

An example of the YouTube app being inferior to the web site with Chrome - is that the YouTube app doesn't support comments.

Granted the current GTV hardware doesn't have the resources to optimally run some desktop web sites. So apps OPTIMIZED for GTV would probably be better in many cases. However IMO a PC viewing the web versions would in many cases be superior to viewing the android apps on a mobile device.

14. ChrisG8

I would sure like to see a Google TV WatchESPN app but for whatever reason it hasn't happened. As far as side loading any app to Google TV, I will pass unless I see something I must have and so far I am not aware of anything. The Roku WatchESPN channel works really well like most Roku channels I have tried. It is really the only thing I am using Roku for right now, the apps for PlayOn, Plex, Netflix, and everything else I use most days available for both Google TV and Roku are now better with Google TV. I still don't know why there is no Roku YouTube channel.

The new Netflix app for the Roku 3 is probably better but I only have older Roku models and so far it isn't available for those. By the time it is, if it ever is, I will probably have cancelled my Netflix subscription since I only plan to use it a couple more months. I do plan to watch a couple of Netflix exclusive series and if one or two of those are must watch for me, I could change my mind. I think there might be three different Netflix exclusive series I am going to try.

Accessing ESPN3 with the GTV web browser worked well enough for me but it was slow loading so I just keep it on whatever sporting event I was watching despite the fact something else I also wanted to watch simultaneously might be available. My solution, I kept two Google TV boxes streaming different events and switched HDMI inputs. Stopping and restarting the stream with ESPN3 was unbearable with a single box.

• Like Like x 2
  15. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

16. Carlszone

"An example of the YouTube app being inferior to the web site with Chrome - is that the YouTube app doesn't support comments."

Exactly, among other things. Is it adequate for us and many that post here? Probably more than sufficient. But the premise of this thread was about the youtube app ratings. Which obviously leads to a discussion as to why Youtube receives such low ratings. So I posted my opinion that I feel if we are honest about GTV apps we may agree that many of them are very crude and continually lose features that make their use convenient. Not only w/Youtube but across the board.

Just an example: The most important app is the Google Play Store. I spend lots of time exploring apps in the various categories. When I finish & want to close the app I have to navigate all the way back out of each page I opened. A simple Exit feature is a no brainer. Or maybe there is a way to close apps w/a shortcut that I haven't yet come across? Any app dependent device must overtly display easy exit points, especially w/devices operating w/limited memory. That w/out having to use another app to close all apps. This is commonsense resource management for a small client device.

One of the features that comes and goes is the Netflix connectivity to the webpage. I go there because I can look up all my viewing history going back for years. Sometime I can click on the video I want to watch and be redirected to the Netflix app where my video appears ready to be played. Other times I'm redirected to a MSN Silverlight page. Nothing on this device works w/much consistency. Each day some change either benefits us or takes away what the right hand giveth.

How would you rate Youtube...

• Like Like x 2
  17. chopper

chopper Active Member

Here is why I use chrome and the App: Chrome gives me the option to do specific searches for content ie: "Comet Ison News" with the today or last hour options selected in the filters. If I perform the same search with the App I get outdated info on the progress of Comet Ison which I don't want to watch.

So for me the App shines by notifying me of new postings by Channels I like and follow but for filtered searches it fails miserably. Now I have sad this hear over a year ago, I want filtered searches enabled on the App and then there is no need to switch back and forth. The App is far easier on the eyes on the TV as too much white can be hard to look at.

18. retroben

retroben Active Member

Version 1.7.3 ran fine for me now,but,I still prefer XDA's mobile YouTube 1080P/720p mod since it also has the search by date filter.

There actually is some other side-loadable YouTube apps with comment viewing,and even comment posting.
    I have one called SuperTube which at first does not play videos,but then it runs just fine later on.
    There is an issue with pages not showing (no comments either),but you can fix it by backing
    out while the video data is downloading (you're prompted to background or stop it),and then you hit your GTV's back button.

It has a bulky ad covering the bottom half in search results,but so what.
    At least you can view and even post comments (not tried posting yet myself),and you can select the quality on the video itself.

19. CatfishRivers

20. Carlszone

Geeze...

Do we need more to justify the Youtube apps low ratings?