Quantcast

New GTV 2.0 has a built in ftp server

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by anilkuj, Nov 3, 2011.

1. anilkuj

anilkuj New Member

Just go into the settings --> storage and there is an option to enable the built-in FTP server.

thought it was cool to be built in. Enjoy.

2. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

I saw that, are there any restrictions you can see..?

3. drhill

drhill Member

Saw that last night too. I would be nice if they let you go the other way and mount network drives.

• Like Like x 2
  4. anilkuj

anilkuj New Member

i assume that would need rooting and some kind of kernel modding.

the other alternative is to use ES file explorer to connect to your windows machine and play content through that , havent tried it on Google tv yet though.

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

ES File Explorer wants to download selective formats, File Expert will stream the recognized formats through.

6. manas_a

manas_a New Member

So seems like its only an FTP viewer. Able to view the files on the TV through IE on my pc, when I click 'view' and select 'open in windows explorer' it asks for a username and password. Doesn't allow guest login either. Same with chrome. Any suggestions or are we stuck with just an ftp viewer?

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Which application are you using as the FTP server on your Google TV device?

8. Vildan

Vildan New Member

It's should be seen on GTV somthing like fpt://[user]:[password]@192.168.1.10:2121. where you can pick up user name and password. It worked for me.

9. bkdg100

bkdg100 New Member

care to share how you are ftping the revue ?

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

There's quite a few ways to accomplish this. My preferred method is using the HTTP/FTP file sharing method from from File Expert. However, Google TV has an FTP server built into Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) operating system and can be enabled at GTV Settings > Storage > Configure FTP access. The credentials is shown under the FTP status. Here is the nomenclature of the FTP URL listed on the screen

"ftp://<userid>:<password>@<ip.address>:<tcp port>"

The user id is always "ftp" and while the password is a random set of numbers depending on when you enabled it.

11. bkdg100

bkdg100 New Member

thanks.

12. danialejo

danialejo New Member

i know this is not really related to any of this topic but i bet some of you are having this same problem i know the processor on the revue is not the greatest but that should'nt affect the streaming speed that much since i have an older laptop with a much older processor and it works like a charm so does anyone know why my revue streaming power is so damn slow? i went to speedtest.net and did it a couple of times like it usually does on my computer it says in an average of 5 test it gives me 4.80 mbps wich it has work for me so far i used a dualcore wifi from netgear and to be honest is just fine i can stream 1080p HD videos with no lag even on 2computers at the same time so im 99% sure is not eather my router or my internet since it works like a charm in any other device on my house but for soem reason on the revue it does not plese any tips on this this is killing me since most of what i was hoping to do was stream movies and videos

13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is way of course, buddy. You really should have opened up a new thread. Anyways, WiFi on the Revue isn't the greatest. You might consider using Ethernet instead or a HomePlug AV PowerLine Networking adapter instead. You'll probably get much better results than trying to use WiFi.