Quantcast

New Google TV YouTube Update

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Apr 26, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I received an update last night to the GTV YouTube app on my Logitech Revue. One big change that I noticed is that on an HD video (my internet is too slow for HD) as usual the video froze - but then the video automatically restarted and in standard definition - and I got an on-screen message that "my bandwidth is too slow for HD so the video playback was adjusted to lower quality".

I think this is a good improvement so more people with lower broadband speeds can enjoy the YouTube app. However ideally I think it would be better to just have a control button to adjust playback speed.

Overall I still prefer viewing YouTube through the Chrome browser.

2. LES017

LES017 New Member

I saw the same and am now back to trying the app as my default player, instead of the browser. Partly because of the video rate adjustment, partly because I can now properly play some of my subscription playlists. Previously the app would simply not play certain playlists found in some subs.

I agree the app is really not all it should be yet, but it keeps marching in the right direction, IMO

3. BobinVA

BobinVA Member

Catfish and Les,

Noticed the same thing you did yesterday. I 1st saw that the YouTube icon on my dock looked different,so I decided to try it out.(The "app version")

I can't play HD YouTube videos either and rather than freezing in playback,I'm also getting an initial "buffer" and automatic switch to lower resolution when playing the HD videos.

Other videos would also play for a few seconds and freeze with the app version. Now,with the update,non-HD videos play straight through.

With the previous app version of YouTube,the closed captioning was either missing or couldn't be turned on.I can now get the captioning,which is a great benefit to me,being hard-of-hearing.

Am enjoying the new app version of YouTube!

Only drawback is that after I play my selected video,the next video in my search list automatically starts playing. With the desktop version,one has the choice of replaying the selected video or playing others on the same topic.

Now,app and desktop versions both play reasonably well.

Way to go Google! It's a much improved app version.

P.S.-How is the web version of YouTube playing now on the other GT browsers: Droid,All-in-One,and Maxthon?

4. CatfishRivers

Google TV gets updated YouTube app | Ubergizmo (click for full article)

"The YouTube app on Google TV has just been updated, so you can be sure that your viewing experience over the TV is a whole lot more interactive and fun from now on, not to say that it wasn't so previously, but you get my drift.

Recommendations, channel search, a better playback and the +1 button on videos are all new features that you have not taken advantage of before, and we shall look at those in closer detail right after the talking about recommendations here.

The My YouTube tab will organize all your videos in YouTube through the Recommendations option for a more relevant user experience. Similar to a living, breathing playlist, Recommendations introduces you to the creative world of YouTube creators, even letting you see how mundane, everyday items such as pillows, a car wash, and taxidermy are related. "

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  5. CatfishRivers

YouTube Google TV App Updated With New Features | WebProNews (click for full article)

"Google has been working on improving and updating Google TV quite a bit lately. Just last week the TV & Movies app was updated to include a new recommendation service. This week, the YouTube app for Google TV has been updated to include a similar recommendations. These types of improvements will probably be ongoing, if the success of the Google TV Hackathon is any sign.

Today's update of the YouTube app was announced this morning on the Google TV blog by Maciek Molerus, a Google TV Software Engineer. The update will include recommendations that will suggest YouTube videos based on those a user has already watched and favorited. Also, the app will now allow users to perform a channel search, making it easier for users to find the channel they are looking for.

In addition, Molerus promises users will see a smoother experience using the YouTube app. The app will now automatically select a resolution for videos based on user's network connections. It will switch to a lower resolution rather than stop to buffer the video. Also, users can now +1 videos from Google TV, sharing them instantly to Google+. "

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  6. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

My tv said it updated the youtube app as well, yet I went to my apps on google play and it said there was an update for it so I updated it as well and the update took. Not sure if it was a bug or what as others are not reporting it.

7. mdovell

mdovell New Member

At least now it gives a bit of a description as to why some videos won't play..a heads up is good. some might say restricted to country or not on tv.

google + thing I guess can be ok.

Also press up and down with videos and it will say if it is related videos or uploaded by the same user..

playlists also say the playlist name so it is getting more user friendly :-D

8. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

One of the cool things I've noticed is their News listing can now be used more selectively. I tried 'news 29 April 2012' and it actually showed news from various sources ranging from 3 hrs to 24 hrs with a few videos out of synch because they referred to the actual date in their title. But for the most part the date relevance held up until about the 25th video.

More than enough.

Carl

9. rhippler

rhippler New Member

Anyone else not seeing all of their subscriptions? I am missing several since the update. They were there before the update. I am also seeing some force closes. I can get it to force close by starting a video and then going back before it actually plays.

Sent from my Tab 7.7

10. rebu2007

rebu2007 New Member

Since the upgrade I’ve stopped using the Youtube app to watch HD videos. I have a 5Mbps speed connection and everytime I select and HD video from the app it takes a very long time to load and then it downgrades resolution because of broadband speed issues. But if I watch from the website I can watch any HD video at a 720p resolution without any problems or interruptions. I didn't have this problem with earlier versions.

11. CatfishRivers

Interesting point. IMO YouTube could improve the compression of HD videos by offering them at lower bit-rate. There are new technologies that allow lower bit-rate HD that still look very good. Some claim that by lowering the bit-rate - the quality is compromised. However I have watched a lot of HD videos on Dailymotion and they look fine to me. Dailymotion streams their HD videos at a lower bit-rate than YouTube. They buffer better and faster at lower internet speeds - but still look great IMO.

The thing is - in this day and age of internet usage caps, high broadband fees, etc - better compression technologies will be more important.

12. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I would rather not see YouTube lower the bitrate any further but improving compression methods at the existing rate would certainly be welcomed. YouTube HD quality is already not very good and there is no way on earth lowering the bitrate will help with that issue. Anybody that has seen Vudu can attest to how good HD can look at around 5Mbps.

13. CatfishRivers

I'm going to post identical HD videos from Dailymotion and YouTube so that a side-by-side comparison can be made. I watched the same video from both sites - and to my eyes they both looked excellent. My internet speed is only 1.44mbps download - and I was able to watch the entire video on Dailymotion by pausing for about 30 seconds at the beginning (to let it buffer) - and then it played completely without any other pauses for buffering. With the same video on YouTube (at 720P) I had to constantly keep pausing the video to let it buffer.

With lower bit rate videos - the internet usage is less (good for internet caps) and I can attain a better video quality with a less expensive slower broadband subscription. Where I live Comcast now charges $62.95 for "performance" internet which IMO is a ridiculously high price. They also have a 250GB monthly limit. So if a lower bit rate streams and buffers better at a cheaper lower internet speed - while looking "close" in video quality - IMO it is then superior. IMO the Dailymotion 720P videos even stream better than 480P on YouTube. (I mean that sometimes on YouTube 480P videos freeze or need extra buffering - and they don't look as good as 720P on Dailymotion).

Dailymotion test video:

Guild Wars 2 Trailer (HD) - Video Dailymotion

YouTube test video:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  14. CatfishRivers

For informational purposes this Wikipedia article has a table that lists bit rate speeds for various web sites. (Bitrates for YouTube and Dailymotion aren't listed in this article - however Hulu, Vudu and some other popular sites are listed). Hulu, CBS. and Amazon stream at a total bitrate (video + audio) of 2.5 mbit/s, Vudu streams at 4.5, and Netflix at 5.0.

High-definition video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Source Codec Highest resolution (W×H) Total bit rate/bandwidth Video bit rate Audio bit rate

Amazon Video On Demand (formerly "Unbox") VC-1[2] 1,280×720[3] 2.5 Mbit/s[3]

BBC iPlayer H.264[4] 1,280×720[5] 3.2 Mbit/s[4] 3 Mbit/s[4] 192 kbit/s[4]

Blockbuster Online

CBS.com/TV.com (720p) 1,280×720[6] 2.5 Mbit/s[6]

CBS.com/TV.com (1080p) 1,920×1,080[6] 3.5 Mbit/s[6]

DaCast VP6, H.264[7] 7680×4320 5 Mbit/s[8]

Hulu On2 Flash VP6[9] 1,280×720[10] 2.5 Mbit/s[11]

iPlayerHD FLV, Quicktime H.264, MP4 H.264[12] 1,920×1,080[13] 5 Mbit/s[14]

iTunes/Apple TV QuickTime H.264[15] 1,280×720[15] 4Mbit/s[16]

Netflix Watch Instantly VC-1[17] 1,280×720[18] 5 Mbit/s[19] 2.6 Mbit/s and 3.8 Mbit/s[20]

PlayStationStore Movies & TV Shows H.264/MPEG-4 AVC[21] 1,920×1,080[21] 8 Mbit/s[21] 256 kbit/s[21]

Vimeo H.264[22] 1,920×1,080[23] 4 Mbit/s[24] 320 kbit/s[25]

Vudu H.264[26] 1,920×1,080[27] 4.5 Mbit/s[28]

Zune Video (formerly "Xbox Live Marketplace Video Store") 1,920×1,080[29] 3 Mbit/s[30]

YouTube H.264/MPEG-4 AVC 4,096x2,304[31]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

According to this article Dailymotion uses a bitrate of 1.58 to 1.85 for 720P videos:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dailymotion

From the article: "The partnership gave Dailymotion the financial backing it needed to upgrade its servers to handle High Definition video and showcase its MotionMaker videos. In February 2008, the HD quality (1280 × 720 pixels and 1.58 to 1.85 Mb/s) was made available to the MotionMaker users. In October 2008, the HQ quality (512 × 384 pixels, 30 images per second, H.264 is used for images and AAC at 96 kb/s for the sound) was made available to regular users. "

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  15. ywallet

ywallet New Member

I have had the exact same experience. Just to confirm if my Wifi was somehow slow I connected GTV via Ethernet LAN cable (wired connection) and ran a speed test which showed up my correct speed (12 mbps ATT Uverse) but still You Tube app would not play HD video and within few seconds of playback will downgrade to SD. This is a bad YouTube update from google since I did not see this issue with earlier youtube app versions.

16. CatfishRivers

You see the whole idea behind this YouTube app business is to make it "simple" and the best quality possible. That's why at first it just automatically streamed in HD (with no control to adjust it to SD). With a control button to adjust the playback quality - then it becomes more "complicated" to use the app. All of the talking heads said the first version of GTV was too complicated. Thus this was Google's response.

Then when many complained about HD videos not working properly - Google updated the app so it automatically adjusts to SD. IMO it would be better to just have a control button so users can set the playback to HD or SD at their own preference. But nooooo that would not be as simple as YouTube automatically adjusting the playback quality for you -:)

17. CatfishRivers

I was looking over the Logitech Revue forums - and Revue users have been having trouble playing HD videos through the YouTube app - ever since the 3.1 update came out. Here's a few of the threads:

Re: YouTube application does not work after Revue ... - Logitech Forums

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Revue/YouTube-App-Frustration/td-p/800403

In that second thread I posted - Revue reps gave a few recommendations to try. But users commented that they didn't work. I would suggest going to settings and clearing the cache from the YouTube app. From within the YouTube app settings you can also uninstall the current app update.

18. GoogleHeadTV

GoogleHeadTV New Member

This update to youtube.. sucks.. it's much much slower... no good.. back to the drawing board guys

19. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

If your router has the option , set your google tv to a higher priority then your other electronic devices and that way it will give more bandwidth to the tv when other people are using other wifi powered devices. I know some routers will do this under QOS settings on mine.

20. ywallet

ywallet New Member

Don't think it would help.. I tried with hardwired connection at 12 mbps and it still lowered it to Standard Definition.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk 2