Quantcast

New Gmail Feature Allows Anyone On Google+ To Email You & Vice Versa

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jan 9, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

New Gmail Feature Allows Anyone On Google+ To Email You & Vice Versa, But Opt Out Is Provided | TechCrunch (click for full article)

by Sarah Perez - Jan. 9, 2014

-- Google is today making a change to Gmail that will further bake in Google+ to its webmail product in a way that's actually somewhat practical, though also potentially invasive. Going forward, you'll now be able to directly email your Google+ contacts from Gmail, even if you don't know their email address. And by default, anyone on Google+ will be able to email you as well, thanks to this new option, if you don't adjust your settings.

This feature appears as you begin typing your contact's name in the "To" field of an email message. Matching contacts display first at the top of the list of suggestions provided by Gmail's autocomplete, while your Google+ connections appear below.

Because of the privacy implications of this feature - and the possibility of overwhelming the inboxes of more public figures - Google has at least put controls in place that allow you to specify who can send you emails.

Read More at: http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/09/ne...email-you-vice-versa-but-opt-out-is-provided/

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

I hated that Google+ required real names. I finally got around that just to get my Youtube channel back, but feel it is only temporary. I wonder if this new mail feature will come w/other unwanted surprises.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

'High-profile' Google+ users will get better, more private email settings | The Verge (click for full article)

by Nathan Ingraham - Jan. 13, 2014

-- A few days ago, Google rolled out a potentially invasive new feature - if you have both a Gmail address and Google+ account, other Google+ and Gmail users will soon be able to send messages right into your inbox, even if you never gave them your email address. By default, Google says it is letting anyone on Google+ send messages to your inbox, even if you don't have them in a circle, making the service completely opt-out rather than opt-in. However, we've just learned that isn't the case across the board.

For "high-profile" users who may have thousands of users following them, Google has decided to make the default more limited. Those users will only be able to receive messages from Google+ users that they have actively put in circles. "Because you have a lot of followers on Google+, only people in your circles can contact you by default," reads the email Google sent out announcing the new feature to users with thousands of followers.

Read more at: http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/13/5...-users-will-get-better-default-email-settings

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  4. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Why am I not surprised???