Quantcast

New game changer App called Mitty for GTV

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by chopper, Aug 5, 2012.

1. chopper

chopper Active Member

Seems to be a great media player with pleasantly unexpected extras. Wow!

Info: http://gtvfriends.com/mitty-for-google-tv/

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I couldn't get it to install just now when I tried. If selected using a Logitech Revue, it sits on installing forever and nothing ever installs. If I select install from Google Play on a computer, the indication is it will install shortly but never installs.

3. chopper

chopper Active Member

That's weird I am using it on the revue and it work's great! Did you try installing it again and did you delete the APK before trying again? Anyone else having prob's?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  4. Tye

Tye Member

BitTorrent apps always makes me a bit cautious. Having said that, it's quite a nice app for Google TV and if you don't mind BitTorrent then it's definitely worth the install.
    The interface is nice and I'd love to see elements of it integrated into the dev's Navi-X app.
    (using on Logitech Revue)

5. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

So does this app actually download videos before you can view them or does it stream them?

6. phoenixskyrider

phoenixskyrider New Member

The bittorrent protocol has a lot of video stuff in its basket and if Google TV App can help in video downloads, then there is nothing like it. It offers some great features. Google TV fans are in for a big treat. I specially like the " Full descriptions when available" feature as I always like to watch details like title, album created time, singer, category, genre etc, even when I listen to music. I guess this one will offer even more information.

7. ChrisG8

The app installed just fine today, no explanation why it wouldn't install yesterday but that isn't important.

8. Spidershowl11

Spidershowl11 New Member

It is just like I had trouble with my new mobile and it did not function properly on the first day. Many of its settings were not working properly for no reason. On the second day it worked fine. Again no reason. Sometimes i have trouble installing Nero on my Windows 7, but uninstalling and re-installing it would solve the issue.

9. ChrisG8

It works, I downloaded 3 files, two 70 year old movies and one 60 year old movie. I watched both of the 70 year old films and both played well with some minor issues related to the quality of the file. I am watching the 60 year old film now, it appears to be better. Since I have found no way to know much of anything about the file before downloading, I probably won't use this app a lot but this proves it will have some value for me. Public domain movies are available at various sites and streaming will let me know quickly if the file is of high quality so that probably makes more sense unless there is a way to check quality before completing the dzownload. When I can't find a given film at the various sites I use, Internet Archive, Hulu, YouTube, etc, this may be the best option. For fans of old public domain movies, Google TV is already a great product and this app makes it even better.

I used a flash drive since I don't have a USB hard drive available to use and I do like the fact I have several players throughout the house capable of playing files from USB drives. I don't know if long term it makes much sense to use USB flash drives rather than a hard drive, will the drives fail quickly if used in that manner? I have one 32GB and one 8GB I will use for the purpose if this makes sense. I unmounted the drive and used an LG BD390 for playback but the Sony NSZ-GT1 and Revue both play the files downloaded just fine as well.

10. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

Can anyone say whether this app will play downloaded video with HD Audio (E.g. Dolby Digital 5.1) output?

11. ChrisG8

Great question, I found a trailer which supposedly includes Dolby Digital 5.1 and just started to download it. I should be able to get back to it in a couple of hours and get your answer.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ChrisG8

I downloaded a brief Dolby Digital 5.1 demo using a Revue. It was indicated as an AVI file, the Revue couldn't play the file but I dismounted the drive and put it in an LG BD390 Blu-ray player which played it just fine, a cute little demo with shooting going around the room. I can see the issue with the Revue will be finding a file type that it can play first and second one that includes DD 5.1, pretty tough challenge because I think most files with DD 5.1 are going to be a file type the Revue can not play. The Blu-ray/Google TV boxes are probably going to be able to play most file types available for download, including most with DD or DTS 5.1 since playback for those codecs is required to carry the Blu-ray logo. Even though the BDA does not require playback of those codecs using a USB drive, I still expect the players to do so anyway.

13. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

Thanks ChrisG8. I was able to install and give this app a test run and all I can say is WOW! I'm fairly impressed with this app. It simply works and works simply. I mean there are one or two additional improvements I can see them making, but as is... it is STELLAR!

The UI for this thing is uncomplicated but GREAT, it plays with full audio decoding so you can get the audio in the 5.1, 7.1 or whatever.

So far the main thing that annoys me the most about this app is that when my Gmail app notifies me of a new email while watching downloaded video, it causes the video playback to start over (bummer!). That's not a deal breaker though, cuz it doesn't do it for any other notifications I've seen... and in any case I plan to just use the other media player app once the download is done to mitigate. I also wish you could pause downloads once started... for right now you can only stop (cancel) the downloads. I'd also like to find some way to find out what sort of video and audio codecs I'm dealing with, without having to actually play the video to find out.

Oh, and there doesn't seem to be any way to exit the app once launched. So far I've only been using it with a USB flash drive, but I will check out the Samba and other shared location features in the future.

All in all tho... this is an AMAZING app... even with the room for improvement I give it 5/5 stars.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  14. ChrisG8

It is a good app, just one reason of many why Google TV is so much better than any of the other streaming boxes in my opinion.

15. ChrisG8

I was going to recommend this app at another site, it is not in the Google Play store right now. Not sure if it is temporarily or permanently gone.

16. neveroffline

neveroffline New Member

Mitty is still up, no worries.

17. ChrisG8

Yes, it was back in the market quickly but nowhere to be found in the market for a brief period for some reason or the search function quit working or couldn't find it for some reason briefly.

18. neveroffline

neveroffline New Member

That was most likely a Google Play issue.

19. lartomar2002

lartomar2002 New Member

For the members that have considerably more knowledge of Google TV than I and are concerned about downloading files using the Mitty app. Would it be possible to install a anti-virus app that could scan the file before you started playing it or would that be to late?

20. neveroffline

neveroffline New Member

Dear Larry,

Why would you need an anti-virus application on a Google TV unit?

Thanks.