Quantcast

New from Cinci, Ohio / Get rid of cable tv objectives

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by jay28w, Feb 5, 2012.

1. jay28w

jay28w New Member

Greetings! We're new to this site, and Google TV, for that matter.

Bought the Sony GTV stb (NSZ-GT1) yesterday as part of our get-rid-of-high-cable-costs-as-much-as-possible strategy. Installed the Sony GTV yesterday, came up with a number of questions, and searched out a forum of users to research.

Our objectives (not necessarily by priority):
    • Stop our subscription to cable tv and return the cable stb.
    • Access (and record if possible) high def network tv via Over-The-Air antenna (we have reception!! to Dayton and Cinci ABC, NBC, CBS)
    • Stream from the internet our weekly shows at no, or exceptionally low, costs.
    • Utilize Android apps to make the GTV a functional portal for entertainment (access our vids, pics, residing on local network shares), information/news, communications (email)
    • Ultilize, or exploit, any DLNA capabilities, network sharing or media sharing (a few terabytes of movies, pics, music residing on other workstations and external usb drives sitting on a family desktop)
    Our equipment:
    • Sony GTV stb (NSZ-GT1). Brand new. Bot yesterday.
    • Panasonic 50" HDTV plasma (TCP50S1) (2 years old, no internet connect, but plenty HDMI ports)
    • Panasonic home theater blu-ray (SA-BTT268). Brand new, with ethernet connect
    • Netgear N900 router
    • Time Warner service, including 10+meg speed
    • Numerous laptops and a desktop. The desktop we currently use as a media server (Windows 7, shared drives)
    Initial impressions/thoughts/surprises after installing the Sony GTV and initial attempt at hitting our objectives, and after reading through some posts on this site:
    • Currently no network streaming from the major networks due to contractual issues
    • No known workaround to the above
    • Very few apps in the Market. Apparently compatibility problems between this platform and the majority of Android apps. We find this disappointing as we are both big fans of Android, and have Android tablets and phones and find many useful Android apps we were wanting to utilize on our GTV.
    • No clear ability, to me yet, to integrate the OTA reception into GTV LiveTV
    We have not yet read through the ProjectTV and Free Major American TV Channels that work with Google TV... threads, which should answer some of the questions, and I'm starting to find some threads regarding some upcoming prods, like from Vizio, that might solve some of these gaps, or provide technology maturation that will better allow us to meet our objectives.

BTW, Are there any mods going on with the GTV OS, like we can find on android tablet (mod'd my Toshiba Thrive!) and phone forums?

Any thoughts, direction, answers, links, tips, comments about any of this would be greatly appreciated. We look forward to sharing solutions, thoughts and ideas with the forum.

jay28w & elle28w

2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

I'm also fairly new to the GTV via Logitech Revue. I'll let the experts answer most of your technical questions, but from what I can see, you are well on your way to ending your Cable dependency.

I was Cable everything until December. My greatest concern was missing out on the major news channels. And I am a fervent follower of reality crime shows. Esp those from the ID channel.

With Live news streams like Rentadrone, and the CNN App, the Fox and CNBC Apps, I've been able to meet my news junkie fix.

I've found that Netflix has most of the shows I followed on the digital channels. And the content is commercial free. Showtime shows like United State Of Tara, Shameless. Crime shows like Forensic files, Deadly Women, etc.

So, Welcome to GTV!

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Google TV alone is a bad choice to "cut the cord". I personally recommend getting a Tivo Premiere and an Over-The-Air Antenna. There's even a combo deal at BestBuy still going where I purchased mine.

That's not true. There's the Playon.TV and TVersity Pro software which runs on your computer and acts as a transcoding/relay server for the devices which are blocked.

That's primarily based on the developer's implementation and decision for the app. Google TV has an x86 processor, so if the developer has decided to code their app with the Native Developers Kit (NDK) for ARM processors then it will be incompatible. ARM binaries are compatible with about %99.8 of the Android Tablets and Phones which use an ARM processor; the only exclusion are the MIPS based Android devices.

Additionally, the software developer has the ability to filter their apps from appearing to Google TV from the Android Market through the resources that they declare in the AndroidManifest.XML that comes with their Android Packages. If there are resources which are set as required that Google TV doesn't support then the Android Market will filter those apps. If there's an app that interests you, I would recommend contacting the software developer and let them know you'd use their software on Google TV. In the interim and some experimentation, you can also try side loading the apps to see if they are truly compatible or not.

This is done with a set-top box with a OTA Tuner and HDMI output. In my case, I use a Tivo Premiere to funnel in both my cable from Time Warner (TW) and my OTA Antenna channels. This is a good method for transitioning because you can watch the channels from TW while recording the OTA channels. It will give you a better idea of what shows you might have to find alternate access when you decide to cancel the cable subscription.

No, the bootloader is so well locked down for Google TV that people have resorted to opening petitions to Google and their partners pleading to unlock it.

• Like Like x 4
  4. jay28w

jay28w New Member

eferz & Carlszone...

Thanks a ton for the info. Very useful and informative. My very first post and I get a treasure chest of info replied.

Based on your replies, I will be expanding my research to include the Tivo Premier, PlayOn.tv and Tversity Pro.

Thanks again!

jay28w

• Like Like x 2
  5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help.

6. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

;):cool:;):cool:!