Quantcast

New Forum Member - Looking for Streaming and Recording Advice

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by Chicago_Joe, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Chicago_Joe

Chicago_Joe New Member

Greetings,

I've been searching this forum for tips on using my NSX-46GT1 for over a year now. Thanks to all of the experts out there helping us newbs get up to speed. Your discussions have been invaluable.

When I made the switch from my SD 27" Zenith to the GTV, I somehow talked my wife into cutting cable, using an OTA for live tv, and subscribing to Netflix. This has worked well for us, but now I would like expand our media library and learn about the possibilities of streaming content either from within our network or over the internet.

I am vaguely familiar with softwares such as XBMC, Plex, and ViMu, and I have read plenty of positive reviews on each. I am using to wireless router to connect the GTV to the internet. I am wondering what might be the ideal set up for a streaming system with the possibility of adding DVR capabilities to the system in the future. From what I have read, Plex seems like a safe bet, while expanding my network storage capacity with a +1TB external HDD.

I'm seeking any advice on what an ideal set up might look like in terms of both hardware and software with my existing GTV.

Thanks in advance.

Joe