Quantcast

New, Faster, Quieter Chromebox

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by guest, Jun 1, 2015.

1. guest

guest Active Member

• Like Like x 2
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

This is the reason I held off on buying the currently available Asus Chromebox with the Intel Haswell processor. I knew a new model with the Intel Broadwell processor was coming out sometime soon. This is probably the device I'll buy when I retire my Logitech Revue (which I've been using for 4.5 years now).

The new Nvidia Shield Android TV box looks tempting - but unfortunately my main concern is a really good (dedicated) web browser - and currently Android TV is lacking in that department. I know some people say they can get by with sideloading browsers on Android TV - and there is some third party browser (officially) available but I've heard it's not very good. Also the Chromebox has full Flash support while Android TV doesn't support Flash.

3. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

Yep these Chromebox units are nice.Just have to wait and see about faster.Gave both of my Sony GS7's to a friend who wanted to fool around with them since I never fire it up any more.Wished I would have bee as smart as catfish and never put my money into the second generation of GTV.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Of course a better processor is always a good thing. The Haswell Celeron based Chromebox runs well with the current Chrome OS in my opinion but who knows if future OS updates will benefit from the better processor.

5. ChrisG8

I tried to find a good forum for Chromebox, Chrome OS information and it doesn't look to me like there is a lot going on. There is a Chromebook Forum and Chrome OS Forum but I didn't see much activity and didn't join anything yet.

6. overtimeman

7. guest

guest Active Member

This is a forum that I check on occasion and where I found the link above. I think it has a decent amount of daily activity - more than GoogleTVforum! It's the forum where I'll post my questions when I buy a Chromebox. Is this the forum where you didn't see much activity? [click "old format" for a better user experience.] Google Groups

8. ChrisG8

9. guest

guest Active Member

Yeah, I looked at one of those forums last year and it was dead, no activity. I know that Chromebox doesn't fully meet your needs, but if you let your concerns known on this forum, Google Groups , you're going to get a lot of knowledgeable responses, maybe Google employees, maybe independent programmers. We certainly don't have Google employees contributing to googletvforum! The closest we had to that was eferz, as you remember.

10. ChrisG8

I can't get a feel for how well the Chromebox is doing in the marketplace but I think it is a solid box, stable OS and priced right.

11. guest

guest Active Member

I just got around to purchasing a Chromebox. I'll have it in about a week's time. It's not the "faster, quieter" one, as that's still not available for sale! It's this one: http://www.amazon.com/Asus-CHROMEBOX-M004U-ASUS-Desktop/dp/B00IT1WJZQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

The way I figure it is it's like something that goes 1,000 MPH and another that can go 1,100 MPH. I just don't think that newer processor will make much of a noticeable difference for the average user. If it was available, I would have bought it, though.

12. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The new Asus Chromebox with the Intel Broadwell chip isn't available yet - however Lenovo and Acer have new Chromebox models out now with the Intel Broadwell chip (see my second and third posts in the following thread):

Lenovo ThinkCentre Chromebox Tiny Now Available For $200 And Up | Google TV - Android TV Forums

13. Labats49er

Labats49er New Member

Geeze I wish Asus would release the CN62! Have the money....just waiting on them...hoping it will be before Christmas.If anyone finds out anything please post.Will the Logitech Revue Keyboard work with the CN62 Chromebox???

14. ChrisG8

You will need a unifying receiver but I feel certain the Logitech K700 keyboard will work with the new Asus Chromebox. I am using a K700 with an HP Chromebox and it works well.

15. guest

guest Active Member

catfishrivers or chrisg8, can you help me out? This new Chromebox and keyboard is driving me nuts. I posted the following two questions on different forums yesterday and am still waiting for a response. The first was posted on the Google Chromebooks forum and the other on the Logitech forum. Regarding the second issue, using the Revue, I never had a (one-finger) scroll down issue that I recall. Chris, you use a computer along with Google TV, so maybe you can advise me on how to resolve the first issue. Thanks in advance.

1) I just purchased a new ASUS Chromebox. I'm using a new Logitech K400r keyboard with it. I had been using a Logitech Revue Google TV for 4+ years. And before that MSNTV2 and WebTV. The issue that I'm having is this: As I read and scroll down a page, I'm getting numerous pop-ups/dialog boxes associated with the on-screen arrow/cursor. These are some examples of the words in the various pop-ups: 1) back, forward, reloads, save as, 2) save image as, copy image URL, copy image, 3) undo, redo, cut, copy, paste.

I appreciate the device trying to help, but I find this to be a great annoyance. How do I disable this feature?

2) I have the K400r keyboard. I'm using it with an Asus Chromebox. When I tap the Page Down Key, the page moves down about an inch and stops. If I hold the Page Down Key, the same thing. The page up/down key is my preferred method of navigating a page. It uses only one-finger and one-key. I know there are alternatives, but they require tapping two keys or swiping two fingers on the touchpad. Is there some way that I can "unlock" the Page Down Key in order to scroll down with less restriction?

16. overtimeman

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/-I had to get a wireless Logitech mouse to help with the problem you're having.My K400 is bad about the same thing.I always keep my arrow to the far right and use that(side bar) to help with scrolling.This seems to be the only gripe I've had trying to use a non chrome keyboard with these great units.Believe me a mouse will make a world of difference.Don't get frustrated these Chromeboxes are the best thing since sliced bread.

17. guest

guest Active Member

I also posted this query on the Logitech forum. The moderator there wrote the following. Do I have the wrong keyboard for this Chromebox? I've read that many people use this Logitech keyboard with it. If so, what is the preferred keyboard to use with a Chromebox?
    "The Wireless Touch Keyboard K400r is specifically designed to work with desktop and laptop computers running Windows or Mac OS. The keyboard may or may not work properly when connected to a Chromebook. Also, the behavior of the keyboard keys will depend on the operating system that the source is using and not on the keyboard."

18. guest

guest Active Member

How do you use a mouse when you're sitting on a couch! If there are specific keyboards for use with Chrome devices, I'll have to buy one.

Edit: When I clicked your plus.google link, I got a 404 error.

19. guest

guest Active Member

Here is the ongoing commentary in the Chromebook Forum. Google Groups

20. guest

guest Active Member

Even keeping the arrow to the far right didn't solve the problem for me. Fortunately (!), I stumbled on the solution this morning. Press the blue FN key and the left bar below the trackpad. Absolute, unequivocal madness if you don't know that fix. Disable logitech K400 mouse click/tap-to-click - Logitech Forums

• Like Like x 1