Quantcast

new co star wont.power up?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by tkrawlins, Nov 28, 2012.

1. tkrawlins

tkrawlins New Member

I took my co star out of the box and plugged it in. I get the "v" for a moment then it goes back to the HDMI. Screen. Returning the v screen for a moment then to a black screen.. ive pressed the reset button, what do i do?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Do you have a cable box or satellite receiver, check your HDMI cables, make sure they are tight in the HDMI ports, sound like you have a connection problem ... You should be presented with the Co-Star set up screen and a firmware update , then you maybe presented with another set up and firmware updated ...

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  3. tkrawlins

tkrawlins New Member

I plug my ps3 in and it works fine!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

What is the Ps3 got to do with your Co-Star, I don't understand ... Please don't compare the Co-Star to any other streaming player, it's a totally different animal ...(lol)

5. tkrawlins

tkrawlins New Member

Im comparing because i take the hdmi cable out of the co star and directly into the ps3, verifying there is a good connection.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I'm glad you told me that, naw, you cannot do that, just because that HDMI cable works with you PS3, does not mean it good for the Co-Star .... You need high quality HDMI cables for your Co-Star, (Not $100.00 Monster HDMI Cables Either) ... I need to know if you have a cable box or satellite receiver, these two devices can also cause the black screen/blue screen too ... Their is a possibility nothing is wrong with your Co-Star ...

7. tkrawlins

tkrawlins New Member

I am not using a cable box.. just the co star.. what hdmi should i try? 1.4 or whatever?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Yes, the 1.4 HDMI cables will work just fine with the Co-Star ... Do you have a Internet connection with your Co-Star ....? Did you do the firmware updates ...?

9. tkrawlins

tkrawlins New Member

I plan to do wireless when and if i get video with a new hdmi

10. tkrawlins

tkrawlins New Member

New hdmi did the trick!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

As they say, I told you so, remember a few post back your old HDMI cables worked with your PS3, but they would not work with your CO-Star ....(lol)

I have been telling people this every since I got my first Vizio Co-Star, when they first came out, you have to have a certain high quality HDIM cables for the Vizio Co-Star to function properly .... Poor quality HDMI cables are one of the main causes of the "Black and Blue" screens no video/audio ...!

The Vizio Co-Star is about Video/audio pass through, the faster the video/audio pass through, the better your streaming experience ... I have even had some guys that wanted to debate me on this issue, I refused the debate, but happy you got everything working correctly ...

Another thing, if you can do your Co-Star set up via a wired set up with CAT #6 ethernet cables do it, a wired set up will give you the BEST streaming experience with your Co-Star ...

Go here http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...io-co-star-reviews-your-hands-experience.html and get the full 411 (Info) on your Vizio Co-Star ...! By the way, what is the name and quality of your new HDMI cables ...?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  12. tkrawlins

tkrawlins New Member

I got the vizio hdmi cables. High speed for 3d tvs

• Like Like x 2
  13. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Oh! You got the real deal ....!(lol)

14. amartin

amartin New Member

Wisdom, I think the misunderstandings here are language. The vizio doesn't require "high quality" hdmi cables. It requires 1.4 spec hdmi cables. I believe this is necessary to allow for 3d passthrough.

I've got cheap 1.4 spec hdmi cables from Walmart($6 apiece), and they work fine.

15. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

The words "High Quality" should not be equated with a high price, I never ever said that or $100.00 HDMI Monster Cables .... See, we already discussed and established this several post back, come on now ...

16. amartin

amartin New Member

What do you mean by "high quality", then? I'm just trying to help you communicate. I think that you're using the wrong term. High quality 1.3 hdmi cables won't work. Low quality 1.4 hdmi cables will work. You're not getting your point across by using the term "high quality".

17. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

This is a thread that all new and old Co-star owners should read: Below is the Core Theme of this thread:

[​IMG] Originally Posted by tkrawlins[​IMG]

Im comparing because i take the hdmi cable out of the co star and directly into the ps3, verifying there is a good connection.

My Comments:

I'm glad you told me that, naw, you cannot do that, just because that HDMI cable works with you PS3, does not mean it's good for the Co-Star .... You need high quality HDMI cables for your Co-Star, (Not $100.00 Monster HDMI Cables Either) ... I need to know if you have a cable box or satellite receiver, these two devices can also cause the black screen/blue screen too ... Their is a possibility nothing is wrong with your Co-Star and I was RIGHT too ...

Mr. Tkrawlins like so many other Co-Star owners was unaware that ALL HDMI cables are not of the same "QUALITY" (Price Has Nothing To Do With This, So take Price Out Of The equatation) .... The HDMI cables he was using were working just fine on his PS3, but they would not work on his Vizio Co-Star ....

So many Co-Star owners have returned their Co-Star back to Vizio Corp, thinking they had purchased a lemon/defective Co-Star for this very same reason, again, it's the main cause of the "Black and Blue" screen with no video/audio output ...

The low "QUALITY" HDMI cable worked fine on his PS3, but would not work on his Co-Star, the reason being, the Co-Star "REQUIRES" a "Higher Quality" HDMI cable in order to function properly ...!

I'm not here trying to win a debate with anybody, I'm just here trying to help people have the BEST streaming experience they can with their new Vizio Co-Star 24/7 ... Dude Please WoW ...!(lol)

Mr. Tkrawlins purchased this "HIGHER QUALITY" HDMI cables, I got the vizio hdmi cables. High speed for 3d tvs

Now, you are going to tell me the HDMI 1.3 and the HDMI 1.4 are of the same quality ...!(lol)

Dude I know what I'm talking about guy ...! I will CLOSE this conversation now, I refuse to argue with you ...!

18. amartin

amartin New Member

again, wisdom, you're using the words high quality, and low quality, which is not accurate.

the ps3 requires spec 1.3 hdmi cables, and the co star requires spec 1.4 hdmi cables. It's nothing to do with quality.

If you are really trying to help people, you would try to be accurate, rather than arguing.

You still refuse to explain what you mean by quality. If you would just switch to saying please use hdmi 1.4 cables, that would be of help to people.

19. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I have been in the video and audio streaming business for a very long time ...

I have done a lot of testing on the Vizio Co-Star and I have just about mastered the Vizio Co-Star, but their is still more for me to learn .....

People check out the above YouTube Video, you will see that their is difference in the QUALITY of HDMI cables ...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  20. amartin

amartin New Member

Here's a simple question for you, Wisdom. How can someone tell the difference between a "low quality" and "high quality" cable? When you're at a store, what do you need to look for?