Quantcast

New Co-Star User

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by gkamieneski, Feb 21, 2013.

1. gkamieneski

gkamieneski Member

I just installed a Vizio Co-star and was surprised to notice that there are android apps that cannot be installed on this platform. For example, my Wife's Nexus 7 can install an app for WatchESPN and also for Speedtest.net, yet these are not compatible with the Co-Star.

I also thought that pre-purchase I had read that the unit had HDMI pass-through, but now that I have it installed I find that the unit has to be on if another in the household wants to use the xfinity remote to control TV and Cable box. Is my take on this correct? Since the Co-Star seems to run hot, I hate to leave it on at all times.

2. reynolds1415

reynolds1415 New Member

I unplug my Costar all the time and then forget to turn it back on and my wife freaks out because she can't watch live tv. I have a cooling pad but I don't want to leave this on all the time either.

3. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Unfortunately they do run hot, and they have to be on for the HDMI to pass, As with most devices I have encountered. I leave mine on 24/7 inside a media cabinet and have yet to have had a problem, granted you don't wan't to have it sitting on top of other equipment but give her room to breath and she should stay happy.

4. LeadingMan

LeadingMan New Member

Here's a trick I learned from this forum - pull the plastic silver ring from the top of the Co-Star. Use a small screwdriver and gently pull it off. This allows the heat to escape through the top instead of being trapped in the box. Mine runs noticeably cooler.

• Like Like x 2
  5. gkamieneski

gkamieneski Member

Thanks for the cooling tips. So for those that leave it on full time, have you ever had a problem or heard of a fire? I am leaving mine on and it sits on top of an entertainment amoire with plenty of air circulation. Doesn't seem like it wouldn't have taken much for the engineers to build the HDMI passthrough as passive so that we could turn it off and still watch TV normally.

Haven't had a comment as to why some android apps from the Google Play store are available for the Nexus 7, for instance, but not for Google TV? Specifically I was hoping to install Speedtest.net and WatchESPN.

6. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Those aps are marked not compatible for GoogleTV. Have you tried sideloading those apps by backing up the APK for your nexus? I am not going to get into directions on how to do this simply because it could cause issues that could be difficult to repair over a forum. But you could still browse to the pages and run them through chrome.

7. john30308

john30308 New Member

Exactly!

8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It isn't HDMI pass through, the device is designed to provide an overlay with the HDMI source connected and integrate internet TV sources with traditional TV sources. If all this wanted is a pass through, no reason to use Google TV for that, at least not that I can think of. If more HDMI inputs are needed, HDMI switches are very inexpensive.

9. gkamieneski

gkamieneski Member

Chris, I think you're missing my point.

I understand the "overlay", the "enhancement" that Google TV provides for one's current content. I just have another household member who would probably not want to have to turn on the Co-Star and use its remote. They are happy just hitting the one button on the Comcast remote. That's why if the HDMI pass-through could be passive when the Co-Star wasn't on, everyone could be happy.

Besides that, one day in my remote has stopped working. I did a hard reset of the system and now I don't even have a remote I can use to configure the system. I may have to resort to a USB keyboard to try to get to the point where I can get the remote back working. This all started because the remote stopped being able to control the TV or Cable Box even though it did successfully during setup.

I think this thing may be going back real soon to Walmart.

10. LeadingMan

LeadingMan New Member

Before you give up and send it back, try to reset the remote by holding the three keys "Q=space" simultaneously for about 20 seconds. Sometimes you have to do it more than once. To check if the remote reset and IR is working, here's a trick - use your phone camera to look at the top of the remote (above the power buttons) while you press OK or V key. The eye can't see IR but the camera can... once you have IR working, you can go through the remote pairing. Don't know why it stopped working, mine has been solid as a rock for months. Hang in there, I think you'll love it after you have it awhile!

11. gkamieneski

gkamieneski Member

Thanks for the tips on the inactive remote. I was actually able to revive it by plugging in an USB keyboard and adding the remote back to the hardware list. Each time I tried to add additional devices, DVD player, AV receiver, it would lose control of the cable box and TV. So, this time when I reset the system, I stopped before adding this additional devices and it is still controlling the cable box and TV (just lacking in being able to shut off the cable box, somethinb my xfinity remote can do, shut off both TV and cable box simultaneously).

I am also one of those in this forum who is only seeing about 7Mbps download on ethernet according to the Co-Star speedtest. It does much better with Speedtest.net in the Chrome browser, however the ping response is very high. My laptop on the same ethernet cable responds way better. I'll follow these other threads on speed problems.

12. MarkP

MarkP New Member

gkamieneski, Sorry to here about your troubles but hang in there because it can take time to figure what is causing your issues. I picked up my remote one day and nothing. I reset the machine and would have the remote work only briefly before seeming to die. Fresh batteries = nothing. I thought my box or remote were fried. It turned out that since I only had 1 HDMI in on the old Panasonic Plasma I needed a switcher for the Blu-Ray player. My Tivo to Co-Star to port 1 on the switch, the blu-ray to port 2. Once I removed the switcher everything worked normally. It's funny but I had run that config for about a month without issue then one day....! I personally think this little box is very good for most of what it does and there seems to be lots of help on this forum. Good luck.

13. heyted

heyted New Member

I have not tried this, but I think a workaround for this without using an hdmi splitter, is to use a component video cable. Does your cable box have component video stereo audio out? My xfinity cable box did (I have since replaced the cable box). Does your tv have component video in? If you connect the cable box this way, you can bypass the Co-Star when desired just by changing the tv input.

My Co-Star runs cooler than it otherwise would just by being on top of my dvd player, not being immediately next to any other hot device, and not being in a closed cabinet. My dvd player is off when my Co-Star is on and vice versa. My dvd player's case is metal, and therefore it a functions fairly well as a heat sink.

14. gkamieneski

gkamieneski Member

Isn't the Co-Star initially set up for IR command out of the box before you pair it as a bluetooth device? If that is true, does it continue to operate as an IR receiver? This because I am thinking of programming the xfinity IR remote with the Co-Star as the aux device and that way pushing the all on/of button should shut off cable STB, TV and Co-Star.

Maybe the Co-Star cannot be shut on/off by IR?