Quantcast

New chipsets supporting Android TV spotted

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by xenon, Dec 5, 2013.

1. xenon

xenon New Member

Props to CNX Software for noticing these (can post links with my post count but you will see articles on their front page)

Marvell have announced a new chip the ARMADA 1500 Plus (88DE3108), the chip looks only like a modest upgrade to the existing 1500 series which was used in all 2nd gen GoogleTV boxes, also Hisense apparently have boxes in development using it called the Pulse Pro, supported OS is GoogleTV services for Android 4.2.

The other more exciting one is Amlogic, if you don't know who they are Amlogic are probably one of the most common chips in use on the unofficial Android set top boxes that utterly dwarfed the official GoogleTV platform in terms of sales. Their M801 and M802 series chipsets mention regular Android 4 and GoogleTV v4 support specifically.

The Amlogic has some nice features, much better hardware than the Marvell CPU/GPU wise, 4K decoding and display support, hardware video decoders up to Blu-ray spec. With Amlogic in the mix we should see a lot more boxes on the market.

• Like Like x 6
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Here's a link to an article about the new Marvell Armada 1500 Plus chip. The article mentions the Hisense Pulse Pro:

Marvell Unveils the ARMADA 1500 Plus from its Award-Winning SoC Platform... -- SANTA CLARA, Calif., Dec. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- <---(click for full article)

** Marvell Unveils the ARMADA 1500 Plus from its Award-Winning SoC Platform Family to Power Newest Hisense TV Products with the Next Generation of Google Services for Smart TVs

Marvell and Hisense partner to deliver ARMADA 1500 Plus based platforms - The H6 Smart TV and Pulse Pro Set-top-box **

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From what I've read - I believe Amlogic chips have the best hardware accelerated support for XBMC. I see many requests on the Forum for XBMC compatibility with GTV - so if there will be new GTV boxes with Amlogic chips that should also give a boost to Google TV.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  3. CatfishRivers

Well this is good news for GTV. IMO it would sure be in Hisense's best interest to update the original Pulse to Jellybean. However several Pulse users have posted that Hisense customer service told them that they don't intend on updating the original Pulse to Jellybean.

The Pulse Pro will come with Jellybean pre-loaded so that's the good part. So now people should be expected to trust Hisense (concerning future support) and shell out more money for the new Hisense Pro model?

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I can't make business decisions for Hisense and don't know whether the company will update the existing Pulse to Jelly Bean but I think it is great news if Hisense does make another Google TV model, I would be comfortable buying it even if Hisense doesn't update their first model. I don't know how much it would cost to update the first model and think if isn't too expensive to update it and provide customer service for the update, they should do it. If it is expensive and the result is the loss on the first would be so great that Hisense won't mess with a second model, I understand business decisions, it is a for profit business. The Honeycomb GTV models work great in my opinion, that is all I own so it isn't like customers have been left with something that cost a lot of money and doesn't work, it works and didn't cost much at all is how I would describe it.

Most important to me, put 2GB RAM in the box, I think that will improve operations more than the improved Marvell Armada chip but both would be welcomed improvements.

5. CatfishRivers

Here is the link to the CNX Software web site where it mentions that the new Amlogic M801 & M802 chips support Google TV:

AMLogic Processor Roadmap: Quad core Cortex A9 (M8), and 64-bit ARM processors (M9)

From the above link:

The new products line is divided as follows:
    -- M801/M802
    -- Quad core Cortex A9r4 @ 2GHz with Octo-core Mali-450MP GPU @ 600MHz
    -- 4K2K video decoding, Full 1080p decoding (multi-codec), and 1080p H.264 encoding
    -- Dual channel DDR3/LPDDR3 up to 4GB
    -- 64-bit SDRAM bandwidth
    -- HDMI 1.4 up to 4K2K
    -- ** OS - Android 4.4 Kit Kat (Dec. 2013), Google TV version 4 **
    -- BGA package, 28nm HPM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't seen any 'official' GTV boxes with this Amlogic chip yet - although Geniatech has a new android TV box out with the new AmLogic chip:

Geniatech ATV1800 Android TV Box To Feature AMLogic Quad Core Processor & Android 4.3

• Like Like x 2
  6. guest

guest Active Member

What exactly are the plusses going from ICS to JB to KitKat? The Google marketing machine is in overdrive when it comes to all-things-Android. I'm guessing the changes are marginal and complete and overblown hype. Tell me how I'm mistaken!

7. CatfishRivers

After reading the PRNewswire article carefully - I have a new opinion on why the GTV OEMs have been mum concerning any announcements of updating current GTV hardware to Jellybean.

The new Armada 1500 Plus chip has enhanced DRM features (compared to the current Armada 1500 chip in existing GTV hardware.)

From the PRNewswire article:

** Additionally, the ARMADA 1500 Plus with its enhanced security engine enables service providers the confidence to deploy Smart TVs with Google services with greater content protection. **

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Google could have premium apps planned for the new generation of Android TV that will run with the enhanced DRM. Thus having a limited Jellybean version on current hardware might not be feasible for Google and/or the OEMs.

The LG GTV televisions don't use the Armada 1500 chip - LG has it's own custom GTV chip based on ARM. It could be that the LG chips are capable of handling the required DRM.

8. ChrisG8

I think that makes sense except Marvell should have been up to speed on all DRM requirements, that would be quite a mistake on somebody's part, Marvell or Google. I have been using Marvell based Blu-ray players for many years, since 2007 and the performance is first rate, so I was excited to see Marvell is competing in this market and expected better. Are we sure LG is using their own chips in their current line of Google TV products? I know the first series did but I haven't seen definitive proof on the current models.

9. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Netflix, Amazon, mgo, etc ... all seem to find the DRM built in to the current GTV units adequate. The drm argument seems very strange. There seem to be a ton of cheap Amlogic based Android boxes out there with zero support and zero software development even to the point of leeching off the work of the Pivos group on the XBMC port.

I think I'll wait until Sony, Samsung, Asus, etc ... have more to say with respect to Android TV. HiSense or even Vizio don't exactly inspire confidence.

The current GTV players have more than enough ram and power to run JB. These media players don't need to be power houses and we all know it. If the 2nd generation of players don't get updated then a lot of people will give up on Google and TV, if they haven't already.

Philip

10. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

KK was widely advertised as being able to scale to the abilities of the H/W.. ie. it could still run on much older stuff, vs. JB, etc. In theory, that would be perfect for the existing GTV boxes... All along it has made more sense (to me) that the next rev of GTV would be KK, not JB, especially given that the JB update for GTV was only advertised to be available around the same timeframe as KK release (for phones/tablets)

11. guest

guest Active Member

Would KitKat work with the 1st generation devices, such as the Logitech Revue?

12. ChrisG8

I use Google TV often and the requirement that I must stop processes to free RAM or have a program running to accomplish that is my biggest complaint and I would think 2 GB RAM would solve that problem.

Hisense is a major Chinese consumer electronics manufacturer, Vizio is just a seller of the most profitable products it can contract with various manufacturers to make. I don't have any problem with either type of company but I am more interested in products Hisense will have to offer in the next year of two since profits on Google TV or Android TV are going to be slim at best, it can't be of much interest to Vizio but Hisense might be willing to endure no profits for a period to build a business. I don't think Google TV or Android TV is going to be Sony's primary product in its goal to be a major player in this market, I don't know whether it will be the PS4 or something else that gets the company's attention. I don't have a clue what the other companies are going to focus on but I don't think Samsung is going to be a major Android TV developer. Hisense might be the best shot if the product is going to evolve. I can't really guess if Google will get involved with the hardware side either, hopefully so but it hasn't happened yet.

If a new Hisense model shows up soon, I am going to consider it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. TorgoJohnson

TorgoJohnson New Member

Hisense Launches H6 SMART TV for Android and Pulse PRO Set Top Box based on Google Services for Smart TVs

Suwanee, GA - December 5, 2013 - Hisense today announced the launch of the new H6 SMART TV with the latest Google™ services for TV powered by Android™ 4.2.2. Along with a new EasyView natural user interface and incredibly simplified remote control air mouse, the new H6 SMART TV available in 40-inch, 50-inch, and 55-inch models is powered by Marvell's latest ARMADA 1500 Plus (88DE3108) HD Media processor.

Both products come with the Hisense Social TV™ App and Hisense Cloud Services Hi-Media™ Player and Receiver. The H6 features a 120Hz refresh rate, and both are Energy Star 6.0 qualified, and are configured with 1GB RAM and 8GB ROM. The H6 remote, which will also be sold with the Pulse PRO, comes with just 30 keys, a built-in air mouse with IQQI Smart Input and content centric voice search with a built-in microphone.

The Pulse PRO brings all of the SMART functionality you receive with the H6, including Netflix, Vudu HD Movies, Amazon Instant Video, Chrome™, YouTube™, Google Play™, Google Voice Search™, PrimeTime, Android-based TV v4 Media Streaming, a MARVELL BG2-CT board with 1G RAM and 4G Flash, HDMI-In/Out, IR-In/Out, DLNA, WiFi, Ethernet, Bluetooth, USB and an air mouse remote with MIC and Motion Sensing.

Cant post the link but it can be found on Twitter.

Only 1 GB RAM

• Like Like x 2
  14. ChrisG8

15. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

16. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

KitKat also has a trump card that they haven't fully played yet. They have an alternative to the existing Davlik on-the-fly java compiler called ART that currently in Beta. What ART does is compile your programs to native code when you install it. This should make all software on the machine run faster, load faster, and run smoother as compiling on the fly is no longer needed.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Travel

Travel Active Member

If Hisense is the only manufacturer of the current boxes to offer the 4.2.2 and, likely, KitKat, I'll definitely get it. I'd prefer Sony making a new enhanced box of course.

However, as far as the knockoff "Android Boxes" with quad core and other "too good to be true" specs, I'd have to see a lot of positive user-reviews from credible sources before even considering them.

Any ideas on whether the k700 keyboard will pair with the new Hisense box?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  18. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

"The Pulse PRO brings all of the SMART functionality you receive with the H6, including Netflix, Vudu HD Movies, Amazon Instant Video, Chrome(tm), YouTube(tm), Google Play(tm), Google Voice Search(tm), PrimeTime, Android-based TV v4 Media Streaming, a MARVELL BG2-CT board with 1G RAM and 4G Flash, HDMI-In/Out, IR-In/Out, DLNA, WiFi, Ethernet, Bluetooth, USB and an air mouse remote with MIC and Motion Sensing."

1 gig ram, 4
    got flash, no Hulu Plus. This is all just marketing pie in the sky. If this is what the GTV is all about then there is no hope. Note, I am fine with 1 gig of RAM. It's what we now have.

HiSense may be a large manufacturer in China with a marketing arm in the US but it has no presence in the media world and no software development of note. Google needs companies of substance. They really would be better off designing their own. Right now they have Sony, Asus and LG which are companies with something to offer. They need those types first before going to the bottom of the barrel. It wouldn't hurt for Samsung to join but they do seem to be off on their own.

philip

19. ChrisG8

No Hulu or Hulu Plus has nothing whatsoever to do with Hisense, Hulu hasn't agreed to offer an app for Google TV and Hisense can't fix that and since I am sure Google would welcome Hulu, it is almost certainly 100% on Hulu that it isn't available. I disagree on the1 GB RAM being OK, I can live with it but only because I have to.

20. guest

guest Active Member

I was mistaken. The various iterations of the Android O.S. have implemented important enhancements. Android version history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Click Show in the URL to see the detailed enhancements.

But! But these enhancements may be more geared to (touch) tablets (with cameras) and such, rather than Google TV-type devices.

A few weeks ago, I was able to purchase a used Motorala Xoom WiFi 10" tablet on eBay for $99.99 w/ free shipping. One of only two at that price ("good condition"). It's working excellent. Last night, upgraded it to Jellybean, 4.1.2 - the last OTA update, I think. So I had to do a search for "Android updates" to see what all the fuss was about.