Quantcast

New Boxee Tv + Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by ColmARocK, Dec 18, 2012.

1. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

I just ordered the new Boxee Tv (the one with antenna and the HDMI output). I was looking for a solution to cut the cable but still continue to use my googletv.
    So I searched for an antenna and a coax to HDMI converter so my image will pass trough the GTV... But I finally found that box for less than 100$ (75$ on ebay) and it also act as a DVR, we can record antenna signal.

Since I'm outside the USA, I'm using the GTV as a media server. I download my torrent directly on is USB HD and I than I watch them on my TV or I just stream them on my other devices with the file expert FTP. But Boxee come with a VPN setup, so that means I will have access to Pandora and Netflix USA on this box and also other apps will be availale for download (hulu+ ??).

I just want to share that with people who own a gtv and are thinking abount cutting the cable. I will reply to this post as soon as I get it.

Sorry for my poor english, I'm french.

Thanks

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Great news, we look forward to your reports about getting it setup and using it. I don't recall if anybody else here is using the new Boxee TV but I am sure you are among the first few, if not the very first.

3. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

How are you getting it to act as a dvr ColmARock as it only has dvr in the cloud capability I thought and that was only supported in certain U.S. cities and costs a monthly fee and worked by uploading your recordings to the cloud. I did not think you could use the boxee tv as a normal dvr without using the cloud subscription service.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

His post made me believe he thinks he can use it with a VPN, spoof the service into believing he is in the US. Whether or not that will work sure isn't clear to me.

5. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

Hello, yes I will give more answers as soon as I will get the device.
    Like ChrisG8 said, I'm planning to use a VPN to spoof the service. My VPN supplier has few servers where the service is available. I will also get a prepaid visa card with a Bill-to address in one of those towns where the service is available and I will try to figure-out if the "town control" is leaded by the IP location or the bill-to address.

I hoped that the cloud account is for unlimited DVR but the device could has limited storage capacity (like 1GO)... but I'm sure I was wrong.

I still dont understand why the service is limited to few towns, maybe it's for cloud capacity storage reason. They will slowly get more information on how we use it and they will be able to calculate better forecast and slowly add storage space and towns. I understand that it could be risky to open a no limit storage service US wide. Or maybe it's related to state law on copy rate ??? Any idea ?

Thanks